Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

Always "unbalanced load" on spin?

Top loading Washing Machine: Speed Queen DA3211

I replaced one of the belts a while back. When I did this I think I also inadvertently loosened up the other (used to spin dry). Consequently, when starting spin cycle the tub often won't start moving itself but requires a little manual assistance. I mention this because it recently developed a new issue that I have a hunch might have been cause by this.

Now, toward the end of a spin cycle, after most of the water is out and its continuing to increase in speed, it begins to make a horrible, loud, thumping noise the way a washer does with an "unbalanced load" but regardless of whether or not there is an "unbalanced load". In fact, it even does this when the machine is empty. It's so loud it sounds as though the machine is damaging itself so we stop the cycle prematurely and remove the clothes though still wet.

I'll probably open it up and look around but I really don't know what I'll be looking for nor know what it looked like before.

By any chance are washing machine tubs "balanced" similar to how car wheels are spin balanced and small weights applied? This current behavior gives me the impression that, if so, one of the balancing weights has come off.

As usual any help, hints, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (4)