Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
washing a down duvet

Posted by bobbi1023 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 2:51

I have a Miele washing machine and desire to wash my queen size down duvet. What cycle should I use? What water temperature and final spin speed?

Once in the dryer, can I use the medium heat setting or do I need to keep it on low?

Is there any particular detergent I should be using to keep the down in good shape?

Are there any other considerations I have overlooked?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: washing a down duvet

I don't have a Miele, so I can't speak to specific cycles. However, I have washed a lot of down in my Bosch. I use the delicates cycle. Most important is your choice of detergent - absolutely NO enzymes, optical brighteners or bleaches (chlorine or non) as they will damage your down. I use Charlie's soap, but sport wash or wool wash should work.

When you dry it, no or very low heat. Air fluff is ideal. It will take a long time. I alternate between hanging and fluffing in the dryer.

Good luck!

o

You can damage large down comforters washing them in a small washer, so please be careful. They are really better washed in a large commercial washer and dried in a big dryer where they can tumble and get fluffy. alice is correct - it takes a long time to dry them - like days, not hours, if you are doing it in a home dryer. I keep a duvet (cover) over my comforter so it rarely needs to be washed - maybe every two years.

Good luck with your comforter.

o

It helps to throw a small pair of clean tennis shoes (we use old toddler shoes) in the dryer with down comforters or parkas. Helps fluff the down and cuts down on the drying time - but it still takes 3-4 cycles on low heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here