Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
existing owners of elux washer/dryer iq touch and wave touch...

Posted by jmith (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 11 at 1:51

Seems like buying appliances for the new place is turning into a full time job.. i have already changed appliances many times!

Onto ELEXTROLUX... a lot of dealers here push for miele and i am not into spending miele cash... i looked into whirlpool but been reading nothing but negativity about them.

Dealer also recommended samsung... but reading the dryer is horrible not sure about the new model wf350 (Dryer puts everything into a ball and does not dry properly).

So onto ELUX been reading a lot of x miele's happy with the washer dryer combo.

I wanted some opinion from the IQ Touch crowd and the Wave touch crowd about how the dryer performs. I will be getting the gas dryer no matter what but my main concern would be performance... if the IQ touch is adequate or i should spend a few hundred to get the Wave Touch Models for washer and dryer? I will probably get steam dryer but non steam washer should be ok unless wave touch is recommended.

Any comments, experience and suggestion are encouraged and welcomed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: existing owners of elux washer/dryer iq touch and wave touch.

@jmith, I have some experience with both the Samsung and now the Electrolux.
Last month I bought the Samsung WF431 washer with steam and WF330 electric dryer without the steam since I did not care for the steam in the dryer that much. I bought them at Best Buy, the sales guy was raving about them and they frankly looked really good and on a special promotion so I was very excited about getting them. Unfortunatelly, I got disappointed fairly quickly. The washer is very easy to use, sturdy seems to have all the features necessary but it just did not wash all that great in my opinion. I was annoyed that even with the added steam some stains did not come off. I am not sure why that was but I assume it is due to the internal heater and that the water just did nt get hot enough even on the sanitary cycle. I am used to washing whites, towels and sheets on a hot water and this washer just could not deliver.
The dryer was nice, I do not recall any balling, I actually liked it better than the washer but it died exactly one week after use. It could have been a lemon but I decided to return both the units and ordered Electrolux instead.
I just got the Wave washer and IQ electric dryer delivered two days ago, have done about 6 loads of laundry so far and really like it! I was a little nervous mainly because the Electrolux is eaither love it or hate it type of reviews and I did not want to be disappointed as I was with the Samsung.
The Wave washing machine has many specialty cycles that I know I could use, such as jeans cycle, pet bedding and wool. I opted for the IQ dryer mainly because I did not need all the features in the dryer, but the IQ has a steam as well, though I have not used it yet.
The machines are very sturdy, look very nice, the dryer might be slightly louder than the Samsung was but it does not bother me a bit. My main concern was to get a great performance by the washing machine.
I know that Miele is also considered one of the best but where I live I could not find a dealer so I would have to order online and I just did not feel comfortable doing it. The Miele has great reviews though.

o

I researched machines for close to a year when I went through this.

FWIW, Electrolux didn't even make my short list. I thought the components felt cheap, the "push to open" doors were annoying and it didn't score that high on Consumer Reports for cleaning ... but that's me.

I also know someone in the appliance industry. He's been to Germany to see Miele in production and swears nothing is built like them. His second choice these days (it changes as manufacturers change things) is Samsung. In Canada Samsung does not offer a gas dryer so he would say LG. Electrolux isn't even close to the top of his list.

You can read about another posters experience with Electrolux at the link.

It's hard sifting through all the information so good luck. Remember that any brand can have lemons. I read that there is a 5% failure rate for ANY brand.

While durability was very important to me, cleaning ability was even higher. No point having a machine for 20 years if it can't clean well.

All roads let to Miele for me but if I hadn't decided to spend the $$ on it I would have gone for LG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Excited/Embarassed/Surprised....I returned to Miele

o

Well I own the Elexctrolux WaveTouch washer (still awaiting my gas dryer to arrive) and it doesn't feel cheap to me. And I don't find the push to open doors annoying at all, and I've been using them for a month and a half.

Here's a link that has my pros/cons of the washing machine http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg071430459001.html?7

I've got a friend that buys, renos and sells homes while living in them, with his family (wife and kids). They are top end appliance buyers, but will often take the opportunity to try out a new "top end" in one of their new homes. When I was buying my new home, he told me specifically to stay away from the Miele washer/dryer as they've owned several brands that performed better. I didn't get it into further with him, as Miele is ridiculously priced in Canada anyway. But my point is that there will always be people who love/hate all brands and unfortunately you can't really tell what camp you're in until you have the opportunity to use the machines for some length of time.

I am personally not a fan or trusting of Consumer Reports for various reasons. So for me, what they say or don't, means nothing to me.

o

@silvercanadian, I agree. For example for me, I did not even bother to research LG because in Europe, LG has quiet bad reputation and nobody buys their washing machines. I think that everyone has their brand preference. I have never owned any Electrolux appliance before, this washer/dryer set is my first but it does not feel cheap to me either. It might perhaps not be as sturdy as Miele, but it does not make it a bad washer. It is like to say that Bentley is the only way to ride, but it does not make Lexus a piece of crap.
I have had the Electrolux for only two days now but I really like it. My clothes got washed definitelly better than in the Samsung for sure.

o

That's what is so great (no so great?) about this forum ... lots of opinions to help/confuse you ... lol ...

o

LOL for sure!! and I believe that peers reviews are the best for decision making, unbiased and based on experience!

o

@livebetter, exactly! :)

o

@livebetter: Samsung has dryers just released in canada the models i listed WF350An and DV350AG.

Also i agree so many plus and minus i go back in forth to different appliances. I would like to get a washer dryer that does just that well, wash and dry.

Miele seems a huge jump in terms of price and from reading its not without issues, infact i know a handful of miele owners who do not visit this forum but claim to never buy a miele anything.

@Anceska: Thanks for your detail response... did you use sheets in your samsung and/or towels i read people get those all tangled up.

It's intresting you got wave touch washer and iq dryer... if it was me id get iq for both but then i have been reading Wave Touch dryer has tumble perfect dry where it reverses the drying motion towards the end to untangle items i assume.

Also you are right, i prefer reviews of people who have lived and used the appliances... any appliance store i go to they are all useless and have no information about anything they sell, they just want their commission to sell whichever brand is offering a kickback that month!!

I read here Miele offered 1k off their washer and dryer combo which does sweeten the deal at the same time ElUX had a 15% off recently so its a lot of decisions...

I don't plan on purchasing a washer dryer and go through them and switch brands. I just want to buy one and like it and hopefully will last me atleast 10-15 yrs.

o

@Silvercanadian: thanks for the pointer re: thread about elux. Reading the other thread :)

o

@jmith, I did not have an issue with the Samsung dryer, I put everything in it, the sheets, the towels, and it worked nice untill it died in the mniddle of a cycle! the only time I had to adjust it was when I put my king size duvet comforter in it. It was rather the washer I had issues with. I just did not think it cleaned all that well and to me that was the deal breaker.
I opted for the Wave because it has more cycles and I read from reviews that the second generation of Wave fixed all the issues such as rubber shavings or the "stick of the door".
Again, I have only had the Electrolux for two days so it might be early to make a final review but with the Samsung I knew after the first day that it was not "IT". So I absolutely know what you mean that you just want to go out there and make a purchase and keep it.
I bought the Samsung at Best Buy, but the Electrolux at Lowes, I got the electrolux rebate, which is $200 off the Wave and $150 off the IQ plus additional 15% off. Their warranty is also very very good, only $180 for both units for additional 4 years past the 1 year manufacturer warranty. Best Buy charges $400 and Sears $560!!

o

I have had the Elux IQ washer and dryer for 6 months. I had a repair man out on day 2, as the dryer was not getting the clothes as dry as my ancient Maytag TL. He noticed that the selector knob was sticking in when he pushed on it, so he replaced that for me. Other than that, he suggested I just use the "timed dry cycle" to ensure everything got totally dried! So why offer all the other cycles then??

The washer was very glitchy from the begining. I would have a problem one day and just when I was going to call the repair man, it was gone. Unfortunately, the problems just got bigger. I would select a cycle and push start, the washer door would lock and then unlock and blink "pause" like I had pressed the pause button to add somthing but ...I hadn't. They then replaced the computer/user interface in it. Exaclty four days later it had another funky problem but this time it had stopped working while it was full of water. I tried to drain off as much visible water as I could, but basically it sat with water in it for three days (probably getting a nice case of mold). The repair man came back and said he had no idea what the problem was and either did the Elux tech's.

What I can say is that Elux customer service is A++. They were very supportive and even had the repair man fix another Elux appliance (fridge drawers) that was out of warrenty for free. After they offered a replacement washer, which I declined, they arranged for a buy back of both the washer AND dryer.

While my machines were in working mode, I must admit that they did clean very well. The push doors did seem to stick a little bit on the washer and I'm afraid to think about what they would have been like in a year or two!

HTH

o

@rubyvine, what did you end up with and are you happy now?

o

Just to throw another name in the mix: Frigidaire!

Their new line of washers is basically the same as the Electrolux machines (Electrolux owns Frigidaire) but for less money. The Frigidaire machines share most of the features with the Electrolux unis but with some minor changes - like no push-to-open doors and dispensers.

The big plus of the WaveTouch and the Frigidaire washers over the IQ Touch is that they have a jet that sprays wash and rinse water over the laundry. A very nice feature considering the short wash times and low water level of these machines.

Check these two threads:

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?30254

http://www.automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/TD/TD-VIEWTHREAD.cgi?30591

Alex

o

Livebetter- I am back to my old Maytag TL until I can figure out my next move. I was thinking about buying a pair of 10yo Miele W/D's for the time being but I decided against it and revived the Maytags.

When I was origionally shopping it was down to Elux and Miele, but went for the cheaper Elux. Now I am thinking about the Miele 4842 and matching dryer again. I am nervous to take that plung though. I agree the build quality is superior but in reading some posts here, I see that they are not without issues too!

o

@rubyvine, I had Frigidaire FL for 10 years but just got the Miele W4842/T9822 in Feb of this year. I love them but everyone is different.

I've read some of the negative comments and I'm not sure what those people are talking about.

I don't think the Miele are the quietest pair but they are in my basement laundry so not an issue for me. They do spin very quietly but I find the pumps are noisier.

They wash and rinse much better than my previous set but other brands may do better as well (it has been 10 years - I'm sure technology got better).

The Miele is just so solid. Nothing fancy. I sure did love brands like LG with their lights and sounds but I opted for German "basic" in the hopes it would perform better and last longer.

Now that I own it, I can tell you the Miele has some "nuances" that are unique to it. Things Miele doesn't even really promote.

Having said that, I know a few people with relatively new LGs that seem very happy.

Even with the painful research many of put into our search for machines can't guarantee we'll be happy with whatever we pick. Sad ... but we really have to use them to know.

Good luck!

@whirlpool_trainee, who knew?? That's cool. I'd consider the Frigidaire over the Electrolux. I really disliked those push to open doors. I'm sure they are a repair call waiting to happen. The ones I tried in the store were delayed in opening. You would push and then wait ... wonder if you need to push again and then it would open. Would make me nuts (personally).

o

Just something to be aware of for those interested in the Frigidaire's posted above. It doesn't appear they have either the "shrink guard" option that both the WaveTouch and IQTouch have or the "add more water" option that the WaveTouch has.

The "shrink guard" option is totally wicked. I couldn't live without it anymore! If you have clothing that you hang to dry, but have to iron after due to wrinkling from the spin cycle or you toss in the dryer for 10 mins before hanging to release wrinkles, this option will save you! It tumbles the load once it's done spinning and all the wrinkles come out so everything can be hung immediately out of the washer and no ironing!

The "add more water" option is nice for bulky items like comforters and sleeping bags. I'll be using it for cloth diapers as the modern ones are many layers and the low water use of front loaders makes it difficult to get them completely clean and rinse out all the detergent due to all the layers in the diapers. Extra water will help with that.

o

@whirlpool_trainee: Wow nice recommendation.
@silvercanadian: Hmm add more water option sounds something that is a must. So basically if you have a duvet in for a wash and it doesnt get fully wet you can press a button to increase volume of water? Wouldn't the sprayers on the fins spray water while in and somewhat achieve the same? I guess i am asking in what situations have you had to add more water?

o

You select the "add more water" option before your cycle. Like I said, I use it for diapers which can be 10 layers of hemp and/or cotton and you simply need more water to be flushing through them to clean and get the detergent through (and out). I used it to washing our sleeping bags as well which are thick and puffy so I figured more water would be useful.

The purpose of it is really to have additional water while agitating, not to initially wet the items which are likely to be completely wet without the option added. It's the extra water going through the items while they are washing that is important to me on certain items.

o

@silvercanadian: that makes sense as i do want to wash my sleeping bag and duvets and other large items (no diapers yet). I think its good advice re: water volume.

Lowes has started to carry elux here in canada so i am going to go a few places and see what they say.

You seem to be happy with your washer (dryer delivered yet or still waiting?) and dryer seems to be equally important would love to hear your experience with it esp with large items once you get/use it.

o

My dryer is supposed to make it end of next week I believe and then I have to get my gas guy in. So, I'm thinking a week and a half to 2 weeks before it's up and running. I'll be sure to report back. I am really wanting to try the "line dry" setting!

If you think the "more water" option would be useful for you, the top of the line LG's have it as well. Lower models may have it too, not sure as I only looked at the TOL. And pretty sure that Miele's have the ability to use more water as well.

o

I washed a delicate cycle this morning full of silk blouses and few shorts and though the washing was done fairly quick, only 30 minutes or so, the clothes came our beautifully and the dryer made them look like
i just picked them up from a dry cleaners!
And I also washed a huge load of beach towels and used the extra water in the load and again, AMAZING!!
I am really happy with the performance of both the Wave washer and IQ dryer so far!

o

@silvercanadian: thanks looking forward to read your comments.

@Anceska: Good to hear. Exactly what i want from my washer dryer combo... not 100% though if i would get wave or IQ... you mentioned earlier about reviews.. where did you read reviews for both?

o

I read most of the reviews on this forum and then Best Buy, Sears, Lowes and Electrolux official site. I have read so many that it was overwhelming!

o

My family came back from the pool last night with their bathing suits smelling of chlorine (as it usually does from the pool). I put them in on handwash and they came out smelling like nothing! (nothing is great, my soap doesn't smell) In my last machine, they always came out smelling like chlorine still. I did use the "add more water" option as I figured pushing more water through would work better to get out chlorine so not sure if that's what did it, or if it the handwash cycle is just better in general than my old machine.

o

"Max Fill" is the name of the extra water option on the Frgidaires.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Frigidaire Washers

o

My dryer just arrived! Woohoo! The gas guy is coming tomorrow to do the hook up and connect the gas line at the other end (line is only run so far) so I can't use it until tomorrow! Will review sometime this weekend.

o

@silvercanadian: Looking forward to it.. which model did you get again?

& congrats & goodluck, do some towels and sheets (laughs).

o

@jsmith, I got the WaveTouch in gas (EWMGD70JRR). Ha-ha about the towels and sheets. Annoyed that I just did the sheets, duvet covers and mattress pads for THREE beds and towels for the entire family on the weekend and had them hanging all over the back deck and the house! I would have waited had I known it was going to be ready to go by Friday! :)

o

@silvercanadian: Ruby Red? Where did you buy it from (only if you are in GTA - had rebates).
I would redo the sheets or some towels ;) How else will you try it out hehehe

I am wondering how this machine is different than the frigidair models... lots of cost difference i wonder if its just "looks" or "guts" as well.

o

Red Hot Red. :) I dislike most shades of red, and these happened to be the only shade I like! A nice and deep, blue based red, not an orange based red. And nice and metallic. I'm not in GTA but I bought them at Coast Appliances which appears to be mostly a western Canadian chain. Looks like they have one location in Ontario, in Vaughan. Have no idea if that's anywhere close to Toronto though. http://www.coastappliances.com/locations.htm

Off the top of my head, a few of the differences between the TOL Electrolux and TOL Frigidaire is the Electrolux has the fancy display, touch to open doors, Perfect Tumble feature, and the favorites option allowing you to save 3 custom cycles each for 3 users (9 total).

o

@silvercanadian: thanks for the tips. I wonder if we should all have appliance using get togethers. Anceska was disappointed with the samsung and almost every appliance sales staff says to get either lg or samsung local to me or miele!!!

o

I forgot the obvious difference between the Frigidaire and the Electrolux dryer! Lux has an 8.0 capacity and the Frigidaire's are 7.0.

My dryer is hooked up now and working! I've tossed in two loads of towels on "Perfect Steam" as I figured there was no need to rewash them. It's a 15 min. steam cycle intended to loosen wrinkles. Towels aren't hard and crispy now, yay! I also found another load of sheets to do so those are in the washing machine now. I put it on "maximum spin" as I'd been using medium without a dryer as I found things ended up less crispy that way. :) With the dryer I will take advantage of that 1400 RPM. :)

o

We planned to get a Samsung washer and dryer but instead we bought the Elux Wavetouch washer and electric dryer. They have been fantastic but we've had them only a week, so it's too soon to tell. We really like the ability to add more water and control the cycles in other ways not possible with most front loaders.

I used to work for Samsung for 11 years and I like and own many of their products, but we're very happy with the Electrolux so far.

Billy

o

I really love the electrolux so far. The Washer definitelly washes clothes so well and I also like I can add more water and that the temperature on hot or sanitize is really hot and not luke warm like In the samsung. The dryer is great as well, slightly louder than the samsung but it does not bother me.
I know some Miele owners say electrolux can't compare to Miele. Maybe, but I would so far definitelly recommend the Wave.

o

well with washer dryer and even anything else a lot of people are not ready to "hate" their purchase and some cannot be subjective... i find there are people who love their own purchased appliances and then there are others who can be subjective and say oh i bought such and such and i regret it for so and so reason.

Everyone here recommends samsung and LG and i know if i was buying a lcd/led i would only get samsung but for dryer after reading their issues i am not sure if i would!?

ELUX is/was a good option and i think i will do well with it after i have heard back from silvercanadian and few others... thanks to everyone who does vouch for the units.

@billy_G iq touch model or wave touch?

Elux prices are going up soon so this is a good time for me to buy to take advantage of wee bit lower prices.

Also how many of you bought with stands and like it or dislike it? should i splurg on the stands?!?!

o
RE: existing owners of elux washer/dryer iq/wave touch comparison

Also i like to make a list of IQ vs Wave differences.

IQ EIFL60J:
Steam
5.0CUFT
No add more water (can trick by adding to soap tray)
Less presets & less options for presets
Spin Cycle 1300rpm
Knob selector

Wave EIFLS70J:
Steam
5.1CUFT
Ability to add more water
Extra washing presets, options & Custom
Spin Cycle 1400rpm
Digital selector with animation
LED Light

Anyone else want to add to this list :)

o

@jmith, after two days of doing laundry with my previous Samsung WF431 I immediately knew I was not happy. When I took out my children's load of laundry and some shorts and shirts still had very visible stains on them I knew it was a problem. I tried all the different cycles and then found out the temperature was just not getting as hot as it should. I myself have other samsung products(TV and laptop) and we love them! But the washer just didn't do it for me. Since I was within 30 days of my purchase I decided to return the Samsung because I didn't want to be frustrated. I know it still is early to completely evaluate the Electrolux but I can tell you this, the stains out of my kids clothes are gone! I am using the same detergant and the Wave got them out. That is important to me. I am looking for a washing machine that can give me great cleaning performance.

o

@Anceska: my priorities are the same with washer as yours i am a single man family right now but one day my family will grow so i don't want to have to replace appliances then... :)

I am just trying to decide between iqtouch and wavetouch.

o

These, by the way, are also made by Electrolux:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Elite 4.4 cu. ft. Steam Washer w/ Reversible Door

o
R: existing owners of elux washer/dryer iq touch and wave touch.

And these as well:

(Thing is, Kenmore now uses the same control panel for washers made by LG and Electrolux, which makes it hard to differentiate between the two.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Elite 4.3 cu. ft. Steam Washer w/ Reversible Door

o

We have the Wave. The menu controls are VERY EASY to figure out. It literally walks you through the options, or just use one of the presets.

One little thing that is clever is instead of having "start" and "stop" buttons it uses the play and pause symbols that everyone knows from audio and video consumer electronics. Very cool and working great -- I'll try to post back after a year.

Billy

o

@jsmith, if I were you, I'd download the user guides for both the Wave-Touch and the IQ-Touch and read the sections on the different cycles/options. For me, there were a few options that the Wave-Touch had that I wanted which is one of the main reasons I went with the WT.

@whirpool_trainee, I so love that first purple set! I almost went for a Kenmore set in "Royal Grape" available here in Canada just due to the colour! LOL If we had the Electrolux made set here I totally would have considered it.

o

@silvercanadian: Took your advice and am side by side comparing the manuals. I think the only feature i think *MAYBE USEFUL* to do duvet (KING) would be the add extra water option. Even that can be cheated i think... i am more confused now. Which options did you like/want besides the add more water?

I have been doing my own laundry since before teen, but im no expert for sure.

Anyone who got an IQ touch washer/dryer who regrets not getting the wave touch?

What soap is everyone using.. if using powder are you guys throwing it in with the laundry or using the dispenser?

o
iq max fill

Also looks like IQ Touch has "MAX FILL" Option which sounds same as add more water...

"MAX FILL (press & hold)
Increase the water fill level of the agitation portion
of any wash cycle."

o

@jmith, I got the Wave model EWFLS70JIW because I wanted some of the cycles the IQ does not have such as jeans and wool cycle or pet bedding cycle. Before I decided to buy the Electrolux I read that the first generation of washers had problems with rubber shavings but it was fixed with the second generation that is on the market now.
But I got the IQ dryer because I felt like I did not need all the features in the dryer and the model I got was on a great price, about $500 cheaper than the matching Wave dryer to my washing machine.
The only thing I noticed with the dryer and I have to research it or call electrolux is that the dryers have a sensor that automatically detects when the clothes are dry and adjust the time so the dryer shuts off earlier if the clothes are dry before the estimated end of each cycle. When I was doing laundry yesterday I noticed the dryer was still drying even when the clothes were dry already...
@silvercanadian, does your Wave dryer sense the dryness automatically? MAybe it is something I have to manually configure, I just know my previous Samsung did shut off when the clothes got dried and I liked that feature a lot.

o

@Anceska: For me the wave touch washer/dryer combo would be about 420ish dollars more than the iq touch washer/dryer. I am not certain that i would use the extra cycles as i have been going through the manual and lot of extra presets are overlapped... also custom you can practically create a new preset.

As for your dryer issue i have been going through manuals for both washer and dryer iq for wave... in the AUTO dry options the manual states that it will detect the moisture level:

"Auto Dry cycles take the guesswork out of selecting
the correct drying time for each load. Moisture
sensing bars at the back of the dryer drum sense
the moisture level of the load as it tumbles through
the heated air. With Auto Dry cycles, the load will
automatically be dried at the selected temperature
to the desired dryness level."

I would also recommend go through the manual... or download it and go through to see if whatever you are doing is correct... i am not 100% myself on the auto dry sensor and wait for experienced users to chime in to further add.

o

Anyone ever did a side-by-side comparison of a cycle with extra water vs. without? I read the option doesn't add all that much water after all... Definitely not like an extra gallon per fill or so.

o

@whirlpool_trainee: Not sure maybe the owners can chime in but i found both wave and iq touch have extra water option:

IQ:
MAX FILL (press & hold)
Increase the water fi ll level of the agitation portion
of any wash cycle.

Wave:
ADD MORE WATER
Increase the water fi ll level of the agitation portion
of any wash cycle.

o

@Anceska, the IQ-Touch with steam does have a jeans cycle, not sure if the model without steam does.

@jsmith, here are the reasons I got the Wave-Touch washer:

• Hand Wash cycle - tumbles and pauses for hand wash only items. Fantastic for lingerie, tights, pantyhose, etc. I won't buy a machine without a hand wash cycle as I despise having to literally hand wash them in a sink.
  • Active wear cycle - awesome for yoga wear and running wear. Things that don't really get dirty, but get sweaty.
  • Steam pretreat - since the delicate cycle doesn't allow the pre-wash or stain pretreat option, this cycle can be used if you've got stains on delicate items
  • Wool cycle - this cycle will only get a couple years use for us, but I'll use it for wool diaper covers/longies (wool pants to cover cloth diapers) for the baby due in the fall. Other than wool for cloth diapers, we don't buy wool so the cycle won't be used after that but it will save me hand washing covers/pants for the diaper years.
  • 3 favourite cycles for up to 3 users for a total of 9 favorite cycles - although you can modify a cycle at any time, I like saving it so I'm not switching options each time I do a load. I've created a "my towels" cycle so I don't have to mod another cycle and then mod that cycle back when doing something other than towels. I've also created a couple custom cycles for my teenager and my husband so they can have it set right for martial arts uniforms and dance wear. From what I can tell, the IQ-Touch has ONE favourite cycle.

In addition to those, here are some other differences that may or may not be important to me, I don't know yet, but they weren't a factor in my decision:

• warm rinse option
  • 1400 rpm spin cycle vs 1300 rpm for the IQ-Touch
  • minimally larger capacity (5.1 vs 5.0 for IQ-Touch)

I think that's it for the washer. I'll come back with another post for the dryer which won't be as long a post. :)

o
RE: more washer stuff

Forgot to say that the Wave-Touch also has more spin speeds, more temperature settings and more soil levels than the IQ-Touch. Whether or not the extras are useful, I don't know. :)

I am also not sure if the Wave-Touch has a different suspension system? They describe it differently in the specs on the web-site so maybe it's different which is allowing the higher spin speed?

o
RE: dryer and correction

A correction, the IQ-Touch washer also has the Active Wear cycle, so take that off my list for Wave-Touch only. :)

As for the dryer, here's the couple features that had me get the Wave over the IQ:

• Perfect Tumble - does some reverse tumbling attempting to reduce tangling of sheets and other larger items. I used it on a load of sheets the other day which always got tangled into a ball in my prior dryer, and they came out completely untangled. Perhaps it had to do with the larger drum size though, so can't yet comment on how effective the Perfect Tumble feature is.
  • 3 favourite cycles for up to 3 users for a total of 9 favorite cycles - again, useful for the others in the house who sometimes attempt to do their own laundry

The Wave also has (but were not a deciding factor for me):

• more temperature settings, more dry level settings
  • "Wrinkle Release" which apparently rotates heat/no heat and clockwise/counter clockwise tumbling every 5 minutes for 45 minutes. I haven't tried this yet, but I assume this features kicks in once the load is dry. This option default on in the "bulky/bedding" cycle and is preset on the Jeans cycle, both places where I can see it being useful.
  • a "damp alert" feature which I have used (chimes to let you know clothing is damp and to take out a few items to hang if you want).
  • a "Fast Steam" cycle which appears to use a higher temp than the Perfect Steam cycle. Rather than making this a separate cycle, they could have just had the temp adjustable in the Steam cycle in my opinion.
  • the default Jeans cycle is more advanced than the IQ. It adds the "Perfect Tumble" option to reduce the jeans twisting up and also adds the "wrinkle release" feature

@Anceska, the Wave dryer does have the sensors. All cycles use the sensors except for when using "Time dry" where you set the time yourself. Your IQ will have 4 dryness levels, max/normal/less/damp. If you're finding the clothes are being over dried, try turning that setting down a level to see if that makes a difference. Did you try leaving the cycle run to see how much longer it continued to run after you tested to see they were already dry?

o

@silvercanadian, I am going to try your suggestion. So far I put all my cycles on max dry opposed to perhaps normal dry so even if the clothes were dried already the machines was still running. The IQ also has the "damp alert".
I am going to do some laundry tomorrow to see if the sensors work ok. Made me a little worried the other day although the clothes come out looking great!

o

@silvercanadian: thanks very much for your detailed responses even though i have been staring at the grid, i still got more info from your post.

I see the dryer has a lot more features that i may use i.e perfect tumble, damp alert and jeans perfect tumble. As for washer they have the good features but i don't really have bras or lingerie that i will be washing in the immediate future :).

I have yet to see these machine in person but i may splurge on the wave touch for both units.
The IQ touch will do just fine but then again once i have purchased i cant really upgrade to wave touch easily.

From my conversations with electrolux the mechanisms for wave vs iq are exactly same except for display unit and extra presets.

o
RE:wave vs iq damp

@Anceska: IQ does not have damp alert but has damp dry.

o

@Anceska, yes definitely try switching to normal dry. I had a sensor on my last 2 dryers as well and I find I use the higher settings for things like towels, jeans, sleeping bags, but most regular clothing is good on normal sensing. As for the damp alert, that feature is not mentioned in the IQ-Touch user manual? I'm not meaning the "damp" sensor setting which stops the cycle when everything is damp but an option that beeps to alert you to take damp clothing out, but keeps the cycle going.

@jsmith, funny they would make the Wave have a faster spin cycle if the internals are the same. One more thing for them to market on the Wave I guess. ;)

o

All the elux owners.. did you stack the machines or bought the pedestals for them? I am not sure if i should go the pedestal route or just put em on the concrete in the basement.

Also what detergent is everyone using and how?

o

My machines are not stacked, nor do I have the pedestals. I've got custom cabinets in our laundry room which includes a hanging rod the entire width of the machines, above the machines, and cabinets above that. With pedestals, the hanging rod would be too high to be practical for me. With stacking, the dryer controls would be too high to be practical.

I use Country Save powder or Nature Clean 3x concentrated liquid. I don't use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. For stains I've found that plain blue Tide works the best so if there's a stain I'm worried about, I pre-treat with some blue Tide directly on the stain.

o

I did not buy the pedestals,have them side by side. In Europe we are not used to pedestals so I haven't given them a thought. I havea tile floors in my laundry room.
For the detergant I have some leftover TideHE but I am mostly using Persil color gel and Persil universalpowder. I love Persil!

o

@silvercanadian $ Anceska: thanks i was thinking not getting the pedestals either but my last gf did complain about laundry and dryer being too low so was thinking maybe i should get them.

I personally don't care for pedestals so this would save me a few hundred bucks :).

I am assuming any HE detergent would be good we don't have persil avail locally so i will choose something else. I currently use TIDE HE and was contemplating switching to Gain he.

I had read on this forum that liquid soap was problematic in fl's but seems like only certain brands have the issue so i will stick to liquid soap.

I am still iq vs wave dilemma, hopefully i can see the units in person tomorrow and make a choice.

o

The one disadvangage of powder vs. liquid is that most liquids do not contain oxy bleach like powders do. Oxy bleach and hot washes really help to keep the washer clean. Of course, Clorox is an alternative but it's more aggressive than oxy. Alternatively, you can add oxy bleach to the tub before loading.

Have you already "youtubed" the Electrolux washers? The link below will take you to a nice channel about the washers. These are slightly older units without the recirculation jet.

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube channel

o

On those links above posted by whirlpool trainee:

The Frigidaire does have the MAX FILL, but the poster said that it BARELY used anymore water so he didn't bother using it.

The WAVE TOUCH has an EXTRA water feature but from what I hear uses a LOT more water when that option is chosen.

I wonder why the Frigidaires' max fill uses less water?

o

@whirlpool_trainee: thanks.

existing elux users: Has any of you done a king down duvet in it? what were the results? Also what about a king synthetic duvet?

o

I have washed king size comforter and blankets as well as sheets. I had no problem and everything fit in nicely. I used the bedding cycle.
The comforter is very plushy, cotton on one side and saten on the other and it got washed great.
I am tempted to wash some pillows tomorrow and I might try it on the specialty cycle for stuffed toys( I figured since it is gentle on plush toys it might do the trick for the pillows)

o

@Anceska: thanks i am ready to go in and purchase one of these especially since come sep price hike is happening in canada as well.

Looking forward to your pillow washing adventure... are the pillows synthetic or down... was your king comforter synthetic or down?

o

FYI for future ELUX washer/dryer researchers:

I had looked everywhere for info on the washer dryer and it was not very clear from website or the sales rep in stores... had most help from this thread thanks to the existing owners.

I had stumbled in a new store here in toronto that had elux pamphlets and i think it portrayed information perfectly and this matrix helped me a lot... i have attached both for washer and dryer comparison matrices below:

Electrolux Washer Compare Matrix

Electrolux Dryer Compare Matrix

o

We currently have a queen bed so haven't washed anything king size. I did do a load with our queen mattress protector, a twin mattress protector and a twin synthetic comforter all at once. Didn't have any problems.

Those pamphlets are great! The only thing they miss is the differences in additional options. I am surprised that Elux doesn't make it more clear that the Wave can 3 favourite cycles each for 3 users, so 9 in total. Their web site and those pamphlets only say 3 favourites.

o
RE: bedding load

Forgot to say I also washed a huge, puffy sleeping bag (synthetic fill) and it turned out great.

o

thanks to everyone, been very helpful more than sales staff and/or electrolux! Just so i don't have any regrets later i have ordered the wave touch units in grey/silver!!!

Also dual wall oven and fridge :)

o

Be sure to let us know when they arrive! And if you discover any good tips and/or tricks, make sure share them. :)

o

@silvercanadian: Will do!!! In the meantime hopefully other elux users can share their opinions on this thread :). My washer dryer will be a little while still.

In canada ELUX prices are going up starting september... also there will be a rebate program sometime before the end of the year!!

o

I love that silver color!

o

@anceska & slilvercanadian: I won't get the machines until may-july 2012 as the construction is going to be a while.

Intrestingly enough i did all the research and i overlooked that the wave touch only comes in red (red hot red), grey (silver sands) and white (Island white)... so i have commited to the grey ones.

In the meantime i have to learn how to wash properly... weight of laundry what detergent and how much to use and dryer times and no dryer sheets.

Intrestingly enough i did a lil calculation on the gas vs elec for the wave touch model for ontario:

Assuming running 1 hr daily for 365 days.

Cost to run gas dryer: 87.43
Cost to run elec dryer: 216.81

People say gas is efficient and things dry quicker so assuming 10% loss gas is at 78.69

cheers

o

@jmith, I have a gas Miele T9822. I owned a Frigidaire FL pair with gas dryer before that (for 10 years).

Gas dryers are great. They heat up instantly (just like a gas stove) and the heat has more moisture which is better for items being dried and for static cling. I have not had a static cling issue since switching to gas dryers.

Sounds like it will be a while until we get your full review! Good luck.

o

We're in the market for a washer and dryer and although we haven't made a final choice, I can only give you some feed back on our total Electrolux kitchen --- fantastic.
We have two professional chefs and a really good cook in our family and they all love the duel fuel, wave touch oven and the above range microwave/exhaust.
Very well made - have never had any problems.

o

We have the Elux Wavetouch washer and electric dryer (4 months) and they have been great!!!

We also have the Icon double ovens and they have been great too!

Billy

o

I'm looking into getting the new Wave Touch washer in Silver Sands, for those of you who have the new Wave touch washers, do they vibrate alot during spin? Any major problems so far?

o

I have the older model of the Wave Touch without steam and it doing quiet well for last three years without an service call. Overall, I would do it again if I had to buy another washer! I've been a Kenmore kind of guy for years and I was looking for the largest capacity for King Size Bedding and this one fits the bill at that time. Vibrations is not an issue since it's on a concrete slab and all front loaders emits noise during the spin cycle and it varies from load to load!

o

The Wave-Touch is a very solid machine during the spin cycle. I could easily put a glass of wine on top and have it not spill, tip, or move around. It's quite impressive really. Mine is on the main floor, NOT on a concrete slab.

I've had mine for about 6 months now and have not had any issues as of yet.

o

I have a two year old electrolux stay away from them my dryer caught fire on the circuit board five months before electrolux had to clean my faulty dryer out of a dryer so fllled with lint it should have caught fire from that. It doesn't filter the lint all within the filter. I empty it every load. I paid 2500. and they are trash the washer the circuit board keeps saying call for service. I am not dumping a dime into them. I went a bought what I originally wanted the miele. I bought miele floor models with stands for 2600. they have never been used. I hope they turn out better than the elctrolux. I like them so far!

o

I just used the electrolux washer/gas dryer for the first time ever.

I did a load of towels and used liquid tide HE.

I had to check to see if the machine was broken as it was UBER silent.

Gas dryer was loud.

Had to read through the manual quickly to read all the options and features.

So far very impressed with both units the washer rinsed the soap out properly and it did not smell of dirty water like my speedqueen did.

Dryer was uber fast and i am glad i went with gas dryer as it was very quick.

Also changed the door orientation which took about an hour and a bit.

So far very happy. Clean clothes!!!

o

Jmith...was it difficult to switch the doors around?
I have read the instructions online and it looks kind of hard or is it easier then they make it look.

o

It's very very easy, just a few screws, a little twist and thats pretty much it! The door is a little heavy, so becareful when the door comes off the washer!

o

Thanks for the insight.

o

OP, I really think that only 'existing owners' CAN post. ;)

Just an aside. Carry on...

o

@georgect: IF you are handy its fairly easy - i think the manual skipped a step to change the trim piece around. Besides that it was easy washer door is a bit more work than dryer one. If you are not handy perhaps have someone help you with this.

o

@jmith...thanks. I should be able to figure it out.

I have seen a set on Youtube that switched the doors around but they did something wrong because the "Electrolux" (on the plastic door) logo was an the bottom and upside down.

o

@georgect: they probably skipped changing over the door parts around... and just flipped the door over.

o

Hi all. When switching around the door you have to unscrew the hinge from the door and also the door strike on the other side of the door. And switch them and the electrolux lable will be right side up. But you have to switch the little round silver button, which is also easy.

o

so existing owners... how much do you load...

I was reading last year about weighing your laundry before putting it in and not by how much "full" it gets.

so how much does everyone load their washer??! the wavetouch.

o

Hi. I have a wave touch. I can wash about 10 oversized martha stewart bath towels and some socks and hand towels with it. I can wash a queen sized comforter and the sheets together.

o

Jmith,

Everyone loads varies from type of fabrics to water temperatures.

My loads is all over the place where I can wash my king size flat/fitted and 4 king pillow case with a king size fleece cover in one load to two bathroom mats in one load.

Weighing fabrics does nothing but causes extra unnecessary step in doing laundry. Once you do several large or extra large load, the machine will let you how much you can fill the machine without over loading. If anybody over load this machine will notice how long it take for the load to balance for the spin cycle!

I'm a older WT Lux user......

o

thanks fastonetime & cleantemofny, I will try some laundry this weekend!

o

I have the 70 series and I can wash 6 bath rugs 23x 19x and the toilet contours that go with them. I use the steam option on a warm wash setting and you wouldn't believe how clean they come out because of the steam!

o

I'd load it up to the top but without stuffing it. These washers do have fairly quick cycles so packing them is not the best idea really. GOOD thing, though, Electrulux out a jet on their machines. This really helps to saturate things faster than just the little puddle in the drum.

This is what I consider a large load of towels: loaded to the top but without stuffing. And this is a XXL load.

Alex

o

thanks fastonetime & whirlpool trainee

wow that xxl load is pretty tight... large load is what i should aim for probably will be a lot of mixing of clothing to fill that up for one person clothing.

o

I love the washer/dryer combo.

i did my second load today of shirts/underwear combo and i used tide HE at cup level 3. I did not see any suds and i was afraid that the clothes would not be clean (i used extra water option - I filled it 3/4 loosely).

To my surprise the clothes were brilliantly cleaned and the gas dryer is also very "magical" seems to be very gentle on my clothes compared to my previous one.

o

I found at final rinse the door rattles a bit as the latch is very loose (on purpose it looks like). Anyone wrap the latch in felt to get the door rattle disappear?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here