Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Stop Shrinkage. Don't Know What Else to Do!

Posted by monicakm (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 1:21

I've been living with this problem for years. Our nice clothes, shirts in this case, are ALWAYS washed in cold water, gentle cycle and never EVER put in the dryer, yet after several washings they've shrunk (mostly in length). I've even bought a size larger to make up for this but that really isn't the answer since the shirt is too large elsewhere.
Is there ANYthing else I can do. Material content ranges from 100% cotton to cotton/polyester, cotton/polyester/spandex and cotton/spandex.
Hope there is some magic product I can put in the wash to stop the shrinkage!
Thanks,
Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Stop Shrinkage. Don't Know What Else to Do!

I have shirts that have done that too.. mostly ones from Belk Dept store, every single one of my t shirts from Belk shrink in length. My shirts from Kohl's never do that, neither do my Faded Glory from Walmart and they are cheap...I too wash mine in cold water and hang or lay to dry. I think it's just the fabric, nothing you are doing...

o

If you have hard water and are using detergents with sodium carbonate or other precipitating ingredients, you may have some mineral buildup in your clothes that is causing them to lose shape. I can't think of what else it could be.

o

I don't think I have hard water but it's definitely different than it used to be. We've lived here 30 years. Water company says it's the lack of phosphates that.
I rarely take anything to the cleaners. A coat from time to time or DH's jeans to be starched. I wonder if they'd shrink if I took them to the cleaners?

o

It is frustrating. Clothing is being made more and more cheaply off-shore because consumers will not pay the appropriate price, anymore, for quality garments. Clothing prices have not climbed like other prices and inflation. But I digress....

This past Spring, I returned three pairs of slacks to an online retailer, because they all shrank one inch in the inseam after I had washed & dried then even more conservatively than the care label suggested. It was the only thing I could do. Since that retailer guarantees customer happiness (and I was not happy), they refunded me fully.

As for your laundry shrinkage, I can't think of anything else you can do and you should not have to take them to be dry cleaned unless the care label states that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here