Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houserookie2

My Stain Removal and Dingy Whites Research

houserookie
13 years ago

Stain Removal and Dingy Whites Research

Objective: To assess effectiveness of stain removal and whitening power of Persil Universal when used alone and with boosters.

Items: 30 white cotton T-shirts

Stained items: White cotton T-shirt stained horizontally, equally and consistently; cut vertically in 4 similar pieces. One piece for each tested load, and one control, containing all 8 types of common stains.

Control: 1 dingy white cotton T-shirt, 1 stained white T-shirt piece

Condition of shirts: used dingy white T-shirts; all previously washed in Charlies Soap.

Washer: Samsung 448 Front Loader with Silver Care and Steam.

Water Hardness = Medium

Results:

A) Washing white cotton shirts with Persil + Cascade Complete powder+ Biz + Calgon without soaking or pre-treating is more effective than washing such items with Persil alone.

B) Washing white cotton shirts with Persil after soaking in Cascade Complete Powder for 7 hours is more effective than washing such items with Persil alone.

C) Washing white cotton shirts with Persil + Cascade Complete powder+ Biz + Calgon without soaking or pre-treating is as effective as washing white cotton shirts with Persil after soaking in Cascade Complete powder for 7 hours.

Conclusion: Washing white cotton shirts with Persil + Cascade Complete powder + Biz + Calgon without soaking or pre-treating yield a very satisfactory whitening and stain removal effect. Persil alone was not strong enough to remove stains as well as when combined with boosters, in medium water hardness, after one wash. Specifically, mustard and grape juice left very visible stain after washing with Persil alone. The grape juice stain turned brown after washing with Persil alone. None of the tested washing groups were able to remove the canola oil stain completely. In terms of time spent washing items and effectiveness of whitening, stain removal, and overall cleaning, the group where items were washed using boosters seems to be the best out of the 3 tested groups.

Legend

Cascade Complete powder = CCp

Persil Universal = PU

DATA

________________Group 1__________Group 2__________Group 3

Load____________10 T-Shirts_______10 T-Shirts________10 T-Shirts

Soak Time________7 hrs ______________-________________-

Soak Detergent_____Cp________________-_______________-

____Amount_______2 TBS_____________-_______________-

Soak Water________Tap Warm_________ -________________-

Pre-wash Deterg____Cp_____________CCp_____________CCp

____Amount_______2 TBS__________2 TBS____________2 TBS

Wash Temperature___150 F__________150 F____________150 F

Wash Detergent_____PU____________PU______________PU

____Amount________4.5 TBS_______4.5 TBS__________4.5 TBS

Boosters____________-_______________- _____________CCp = 2 TBS

_________________________________________________Biz = ½ Cup

_________________________________________________Calgon Liquid = ¼ Cup

Cycle_____________Sanitize__________Sanitize__________Sanitize

_________________Extra Rinse________Extra Rinse_______Extra Rinse

Total Time________7 h + 2h 36m_______2h 36m__________2h 36m

Results:

Suds Pre-Wash_____Very Low________Very Low_________Very Low

Suds Main Wash____Low____________Low______________Low

Suds Rinse_________None___________ None_____________None

Score (Max = 5)

1) Whitening________3.5_______________2_______________3.5

2) Overall Cleaning___4________________3.5______________4

3) Stain Removal:____4.5_______________3.7______________4.5

__- Ketchup________100%_____________100%___________100%

__- Mustard_________95%_______________90%___________95%

__- Grapr Juice______100%______________30% ___________90%

__- Canola Oil________30%______________30% ___________40%

__- Grass___________100%_____________100%___________100%

__- Crayon__________100%_____________100%____________100%

__- Black pen_________90%______________90%____________90%

__- Coke____________100% ____________100%____________100%

Total Score:___________12________________9.2______________12

(Max = 15)

Comments (13)

• kateskouros
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

which persil did you use?

• houserookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kateskouros - I used Persil Universal. I was actually very satisfied with it, being that these results were obtained after just one wash. I had tried a similar load, with those boosters and Charlie's Soap, and did not get the same whitening results. Not even close. So I believe Persil is the key ingredient. CS is great, but not for whitening.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

Persil also contains optical brighteners while CS does not. Your eye may not be seeing what it thinks it's seeing.

• houserookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sshrivastava - I understand that. But so far, nothing I did helped my dingy whites, and Persil with boosters was able to get those items whiter with one wash. I still love CS, and will use it for dark and medium colored clothes.

• suburbanmd
    13 years ago

Or maybe the oxygen bleach in Persil Universal made it whiten better than CS.

Did you use the old Cascade Complete with phosphates, or the new phosphate-free version?

• houserookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

suburbanmd - My Cascade has Sodium Percarbonate and Amine Cobalt Salt as bleaching agents. But soaking for 7 hrs in it was as effective as washing in Persil + boosters (without soaking) in terms of whitening and stain removal.

• westvillager
    13 years ago

Wow! What a home experiment!

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

I'm not quite sure why you are using Biz. If I'm not mistaken, Biz contains surfactants and OBAs, which are unnecessary in a bleaching product. For even better results, I would suggest you replace the Cascade with STPP and the Biz with pure sodium percarbonate. You can both from The Chemistry Store. This will increase the whitening power without adding unnecessary surfactants and OBAs in addition to what's contained in the Persil (which is all you need).

If you get the above products, I might suggest you start with 3 TBS of Persil + 2 TBS of percarbonate + 1 TBS of STPP. Shoot for a 3rd rinse or more, if you can, to ensure your whites are being properly rinsed. Also wash in Very Warm (120°F) to HOT (140°F). I think you'll be amazed at the results.

• houserookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sshrivastava - Thank you for your suggestions! It actually never crossed my mind to do a 3rd rinse. I checked the chemistry website. I agree with the temperature, and that is actually what I did. I washed all three groups in 150 F. I guess I'll have to do another round of research!

• steveomc
    13 years ago

The most powerful bleaching agent is the sun. Try using less soap and hanging your whites in the sun a couple of times. The ultraviolet radiation breaks down stains, freshens as it kills bacteria, and whitens.

• chelliep15
    13 years ago

I don't understand... are you saying that you soaked your laundry in Cascade Complete DISHWASHING detergent ???

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

@chelliep15: Powdered dishwashing detergent that contains phosphates can be used on laundry to help soften water in hard water areas. If you have soft water, I don't think you'll get anything out of it. In hard water areas it's probably less wasteful to simply buy STPP and use that. At least that way you are getting 100% of the ingredient you need.

• xhappyx
    13 years ago

Powdered dishwashing detergent does contain phosphates unless you live in WA State where it is now banned and powdered dishwashing detergents have been reformulated and are not sold with phosphates in WA State.