Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posskat

front loader: LG or Samsung

posskat
12 years ago

am trying to decide between the LG 2140 entry level front loader or the samsung 220. hope to get one in september, and really liked the lg, but the guy at sears claims they gave lg the boot because of the poor quality. was news to me. any ideas?

thanks

ps, i just want clean clothes and a reliable machine for not a lot of money

Comments (19)

• mrb627
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that is pretty funny considering that most of the Kenmore machines on his sales floor are made by LG.

Sounds like he might be getting a higher commission on the Samsung.

MRB

• michelle_phxaz
    12 years ago

LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG.

I prefer LG. Could you tell? I have many LG electronics and appliances and they are all perfect.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Pay a little extra for a machine with an on board heater!!

• posskat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lg sounds good to me, then, thanks!! i looked at the ones w/an on board heater, but they are astronomical compared to the lg 2140, which goes on sale next month for around $600 cdn.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@posskat, the front loaders use very little water. By the time your water travels from your water heater to the machine and the cold machine and laundry absorb some heat. You won't be able to get a truly "hot" wash.

I think running a sanitary cycle once a month is good maintenance to ward off mold/mildew issues.

I did not have a heater in my previous Frigidaire FL but have one now in my new Miele W4842. My Frigidaire did fine but my new machines do much better. I use hot to wash things like tea towels and they are virtually stain free.

Up to you. No heater isn't wrong, I just think it's better with it.

Not sure you can go wrong with either Samsung or LG. I personally like the LGs better.

• posskat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the info; i did more reading, and as little as i know about washers, this does make sense.....it's just the $$$ issue....maybe i can forego the dryer, since i don't use mine much, and it is an old maytag that still works (just use it for sheets and towels in the winter, and to warm shirts a few minutes before hanging).....seems the more i read, the more i get confused....

does anyone having the lg 2140 find any problems w/the temp. of the water, and getting clothes clean?

is there an entry level fl that has a heater, that actually DOES heat the water, w/o all the bells and whistles, that would be a good, reliable machine. it seems i also read some of the heaters only work on the sanitary or heavy duty loads, and no other time.....

perhaps i should be looking at a top load??? boy, i am more confused than ever!!

we get pretty dirty, as we are cowboys, and my old maytag just doesn't cut it any more...

any ideas?? thanks so much (i think! haha!)

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

michelle_phxaz writes: "LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG.

I prefer LG. Could you tell? I have many LG electronics and appliances and they are all perfect."

You should hope that you never have to deal with LG Customer (dis)Service. We do have (one) LG appliance, and that does work very well.

However, we bought an LG appliance that, by some bizarre mistake, had been shipped without all of its internal electronics. When we made a warranty claim, the position of Customer Service at LG Electronics of America was, "The product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship. Because the electronics are completely missing, they cannot be defective. Your warranty claim is denied." True story. Unbelievable, but it really is true. For your sake, I hope that you never have any problem with any of your "perfect" LG appliances.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@herring_maven, that makes NO sense.

Firstly, why would you make a warranty claim when an appliance was sent to you missing pieces. I would have called retailer who sold me said appliance and demanded a new one??

I have to believe something was done about that situation. You didn't just accept that did you?

• annie1971
    12 years ago

The problem I'm struggling with is that products that were once made very well by a manufacturer one year are either no longer made by that manufacturer or they're currently made so poorly that you can't compare one year/machine to the next! So what was once considered the top of the line is considered junk to be avoided a few years later. I've been looking and researching and LG is off my short list -- not going to consider it any longer. Those of you that bought a few years ago -- good job, but would you buy today after researching like those of us that are now looking for new machines?

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

livebetter opines: "... that makes NO sense."

I hope that you are agreeing with me that LG's response made no sense, not accusing me of nonsense. The LG warranty was on the appliance as a whole, not on the electronic components inside the appliance, so a unit that lacked the electronics was defective in materials or workmanship.

livebetter continues: "Firstly, why would you make a warranty claim when an appliance was sent to you missing pieces. I would have called retailer who sold me said appliance and demanded a new one??"

We originally purchased a showroom display model, but it was one that had never been hooked up. When we got it home, we found that the internal electronics were missing. The retailer, to its credit, immediately exchanged the defective unit for a brand new unit in a factory-sealed box, and we scheduled an appointment with the retailer's installer to install the unit in our home. When the installer arrived at our home and opened the box, the second unit, also, was missing all of its innards.

livebetter continues: "I have to believe something was done about that situation. You didn't just accept that did you?"

Of course not. By then, all -- that is, both -- units of the retailer's local* stock of that model had been in our home, so the retailer was unable to make an immediate second exchange at that time, although it was willing to engage in a solution over a longer time frame. The appliance in question was an LG LCE30845 cooktop, to replace a Jenn-Air brand cooktop that had suddenly failed without warning; due to Whirlpool's acquisition of Jenn-Air and orphaning of pre-acquisition Jenn-Air products, repair parts for the Jenn-Air cooktop were unavailable, so we were basically cooking over our backpacking stove in the meantime. (*The retailer is Best Buy, which did have other units of that LG unit in warehouses thousands of miles from us, but Best Buy had no other units in the geographical division where we live, and estimated that it could take weeks to get a third unit shipped here.)

Looking for a more immediate solution, we called the local LG warranty contractor, with which we scheduled an appointment to fix (if that is the word) the second unit. The contractor called us back a few hours later to cancel the scheduled appointment, however, saying that it LG had refused to authorize the contractor to install the necessary parts.

That was when I registered the warranty on the second unit and made a claim against LG directly, receiving the response that I reported above.

After that, we went back to Best Buy a third time, which had a unit shipped out here from a distant division and exchanged the new appliance for the second unit without question; we did have a Best Buy tech open the box of the third unit in-store to confirm that finally we had a unit with all its parts. We had the third unit installed, and it has worked flawlessly.

The whole process took several weeks and a big emotional toll (both on us and on Best Buy), but eventually we had a working LG appliance. We received no report about what action LG took with regard to to the first two units when Best Buy presumably attempted to return them to LG for credit; by then, it was out of our hands. But the experience was certainly educational in respect of LG's attitude toward its end customer, in stark contrast to Best Buy's exemplary customer care.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@herring_maven, my sheer shock at your story had me "reacting". I'm glad it all worked out. I still don't see how missing parts are a warranty issue but it certainly was an issue retailer or LG should have jumped on fixing.

My friend just bought an LG pair from Lowes and when she was debating Samsung vs LG she was told LG was much better to deal with from a customer service end. Maybe they're different in Canada?? Who knows ...

@posskat, my parents have the 2140. They got it new in Jan of this year. Amazing deal from Lowes.

I warned my mother about the heater issue. I still think it is "optimal" to have the heater. She didn't feel it was necessary for her use. She is VERY happy with the 2140. It is her first front loader and I taught her how to use it properly. All is very good for her.

She's one who wants to put in dirty things and take out clean things. Everytime we talk about her machine she says again how much she is enjoying it.

I did laundry in it 3 times before my new Mieles arrived in Feb of this year. I thought they did a good job of cleaning. I didn't throw anything to tough at them so not sure how they would do on a "hot" wash load with no heater.

Hope that help some! Good luck!

• itguy08
    12 years ago

Some simple advice to get a machine with a heater. If it has a Sanitary cycle, it has a heater.....

• izeve
    12 years ago

I can also recommend LG - I got a washer and dryer pair on a great Black Friday sale last year and so far I have been very pleased with them. My washer is WM2301 and it has an internal heater (which was an absolute must for me). The pair was $1K so I think you can find great deals on LGs, especially if they have a model that is being phased out, like mine was.
    I would definitely recommend that you get a washer with a heater - it makes a huge difference in washing performance and if you use HOT or Sanitary cycles regularly you will have no mold or smell issues.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@izeve, the OP is Canadian. We don't have "Black Friday" sales and our costs in Canada appear to always be higher than in the US. My Miele for example was a lot more expensive here ... sigh ... but we do have OHIP ;)

• ken_moore
    12 years ago

@Herring with the cooktop.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem with missing electronics, and I hope someone explained to you what actually happened. As cooktops aren't a high sales volume item, they are one of the few appliances which all manufacturers make "dummy" products for using as display models. These "dummy" models are non-functional and are usually assigned an entirely different "SKU" than the functional models.

Sounds like your original sales person didn't understand that, and then when they went to make the exchange, they went ahead and ordered that same incorrect SKU that they sold you in the first place. Naturally, that second dummy model had no innards either. Yes, LG should have been a little more tactful in their warranty claim, but they were right. There was nothing "wrong" with your cooktop; they can't convert a dummy model to a functional one. Instead, the fault here is entirely on Best Buy for selling you something that was never intended to be sold in the first place.

At the stores I've worked at, these dummy model SKU's ring up with a price of $0.01. I guess that is not the case at Best Buy, or the sales staff just overrode the price.

• posskat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

livebetter, what do you mean by OP and OHIP? (haven't finished my coffee yet!)

i did find a site, canadianappliances, which has a lot more options on LP washers, at decent prices, but they are located in toronto; too far to ship.

not many stores around our area (kamloops is closest big town) have a lot of options on LP. either the 2140, which i really like, and then the prices jump hundreds of $$. perhaps my old pair w/last till boxing day, and i w/do what i've sworn to never do: join the fray on boxing day...., but i am starting to realize, after reading so much on this site, that it's better to have an internal heater when you need it than not have it and regret it later....darn, i liked that little 2140 machine, too....

thanks you guys for all your info; any other insights and recommendations are welcome, as we get lots of grime, horse sweat, blood and other icky things on our clothes, and i do notice i sometimes have to wash 2ce, plus lots of pretreating and soaking in the old maytag, and our jeans wear out a lot faster, it seems...

• posskat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i meant LG, not LP. coffee finally kicked in

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

ken_moore writs, helpfully:
    "I'm sorry to hear about your problem with missing electronics, and I hope someone explained to you what actually happened. As cooktops aren't a high sales volume item, they are one of the few appliances which all manufacturers make 'dummy' products for using as display models. These 'dummy' models are non-functional and are usually assigned an entirely different 'SKU' than the functional models."

It makes sense that a dummy display unit would not share an SKU with a unit for sale; however, both of the empty shell (dummy) units did have serial numbers, and, IIRC, when I registered the second dummy unit on-line through the LG site, which asked for serial number, the site accepted the registration.

[There was a problem for us with the warranty registration process: we own our domain name, and so we made up a new and unique email address within that domain for the LG registration. Since the date that we registered the cooktop, we have received UCEs (spam) from all over the world addressed to that unique address. Without asking for our consent, LG unquestionably sold our email address at least once, and probably multiple times. For that reason, if anyone reading this believes that spam is an issue, I recommend that you never give your email address to LG.]

"Sounds like your original sales person didn't understand that, and then when they went to make the exchange, they went ahead and ordered that same incorrect SKU that they sold you in the first place. Naturally, that second dummy model had no innards either. Yes, LG should have been a little more tactful in their warranty claim, but they were right. There was nothing 'wrong' with your cooktop; they can't convert a dummy model to a functional one. Instead, the fault here is entirely on Best Buy for selling you something that was never intended to be sold in the first place."

The circumstances suggest that the fault more likely was with LG for apparently packaging a dummy unit in a retail box and selling it to Best Buy as a functioning unit. We can grant that the error probably was not intentional, but I would not ascribe fault to Best Buy in this case.

Otherwise, what you write makes sense, and I thank you for your time and effort to make the explanation.

• rich1970
    12 years ago

I purchased an LG washer when they were pretty new to the country in 2005. I had nothing but problems with it. Every time parts were needed it took weeks to get them. I did have an extended warranty on the unit which was well worth it.

Sears replaced the pump twice, all of the shocks/struts, electronic boards and a few other bits and pieces.

Ended up selling it and purchasing a Frigidaire in 07 and have not had a single problem with it.

LG Customer Service is awful. I did have to deal with them on a few occasions to try to get parts that Sears couldn't locates.