Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ra2rn

Maytag Bravo vs Whirlpool Cabrio

ra2rn
12 years ago

So as I wait out this hurricane, I am trying to hone in on a W/D choice. Because of a bunch of factors (depth of my space, top-loading HE, etc), I am down to the Bravo and the Cabrio.

I searched past posts and found a lot of pretty conflicting info on each. (Although Mara_2008, you do a great job stumping for your Bravo over and over! Very informative.)

Can anyone help me with their thoughts on each of these machines, specifically? Or is there anyone who has chosen between them and can tell me how it has panned out?

Part of my issue is that if you read enough reviews, you find a "problem" with every machine. I guess I'm looking for the one that is least likely to end with a repairman at my house. Thanks very much in advance for the help!

Comments (30)

• gates1
    12 years ago

One of the main differences between the two machines is, the Bravos is available with a internal heater and the cabrio is not. That alone makes a big difference in the cleaning ability of the machine due to the lag of hot water reaching the machine before it is filled. So even if you choose a hot cycle, if your water heater has any great distance to it, you will be washing in a much cooler water temperature. When I was in the market for a new washer, the cabrio was not even a consideration due to this reason, along with the fact that it has recieved more negative reviews than the Bravos.

• georgect
    12 years ago

Good find gates1!

Go for the Bravos with the internal heater (which even the Whirlpool Vantage doesn't have at $2099.00).

• ra2rn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's really interesting - thanks so much for letting me know. Anything else about the Bravo I should know?

• dadoes
    12 years ago

The correct name is Bravos, with an s. :-)

• gates1
    12 years ago

Georgect, yes the advantage washer does have an internal heater in it according to the owners manual on the WP site. But still, I wounldnt pay that kind of money for a Whirlpool product. Id rather super glue my lips to my dogs behind first LOL

• ken_moore
    12 years ago

I think Whirlpool is still touting Maytag as using "Commercial Grade" parts. Specifically, the water pump on the Bravos is "beefier".

• georgect
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update gates1.
    I only looked at the "Features" tab for the Vantage and it wasn't listed there. Funny how they would downplay that important feature.

• bert76
    12 years ago

I think I've narrowed down my choice to the Bravos also. Are there different capacities available in the Bravos? And do all Bravos have the internal heater?

Thanks!

• wrcfocus
    12 years ago

The Bravos washer models 450, 750 and 850 are all rated at 4.5 cu.ft. capacity. The Bravos dryer models 400 and 850 models are rated at 7.3 cu. ft. There isn't a 750 dryer model as the 750 washer is paired with the 850 dryer model.

The 850-series washer comes with a 1200W internal heater, the other models make do without this item.

The Maytag site allows you to compare the Bravos models side by side, which can be helpful when narrowing down what you would need.

• bert76
    12 years ago

Thanks, wrcfocus. I have an internal heater on my dying GE FL. And with four young kids and the ensuing sports gear and stains I don't think I could do without an internal heater! I think it'll be an 850 for me.

Just need to find best price and decide if I can justify the matching dryer. We currently have the matching GE gas dryer (we used to have them stacked in the old house).

But we might be moving the laundry in a small remodel so I'm thinking of switching to electric dryer since these HE washers get so much water out of the clothes anyway. And it would be a chunk of change to get the gas line to the new location of the laundry (but there are water/drain lines accessible in the bathroom next door).

• bert76
    12 years ago

I can't find the 850s on the Maytag website. Is it still made? And none of the HE top loaders are rated with capacity of greater than 3.6 cf. Is the product line being changed?

• wrcfocus
    12 years ago

I'm a Canadian customer so I was referring to the maytag.ca website. But looking at the maytag.com (US website) it appears that the 850 model is not there. Anyone want to shed some light on this?

• markb
    12 years ago

The reason that some Bravos models are missing is that they have been redesigned with a larger tub and haven't been released nationally yet. Previous Bravos XL's had a tub capacity of 3.96 cf (DOE). The new models will be 4.6 cf in an effort to level the playing field with LG and Samsung.

The models offered will be the 750, 850, and the 950. The latter two will have an internal heater and the new 950 becomes the top of the Bravos line. The impeller has been "enhanced" to make it more scratch resistant to metal buttons and zippers.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

At the risk of redundancy (ra2rn has already mentioned my prolific posts, lol), I did want to point out the fact that my Maytag Bravos 850 model was listed as having a 5.2 cu ft capacity.

I love my washer! It washes huge loads of laundry, and does them well. The internal water heater is a huge bonus for us since it is imperative that we have true hot water for some loads.

• markb
    12 years ago

Well Mara, I hate to rain on your parade, but your Bravos was never listed at 5.2 cf capacity. The only topload that was listed at that capacity was the LG WaveForce. And that was IEC capacity. All washers from this point forward will be listed DOE capacity which is a lower number than IEC.

As I stated earlier, the DOE capacity for the original Bravos 850 was 3.96 cf DOE. The DOE capacity for the LG is 4.5 cf and the DOE capacity for the Samsung is 4.7 cf.

The revised Bravos XL models will be 4.6 cf and will position Maytag between LG and Samsung.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

• jasonblue
    12 years ago

Bought the MVWB850 in March. At the time, and on my user manual, it states 5.0 EIC. Shortly thereafter, they changed the size designation to 4.0 DOE. I think the machine is the same, just a different standard of measurement. At any rate, bought the Bravos 850 because it was the only one in the line with an internal heater (wasn't interested in a $2,000 Vantage!). The equivalent Whirlpool Cabrio Top of the Line was the 7800, with no internal heater, but it had a tub light.

The Bravos X line is belt drive, where the Bravos line is direct drive. Don't know the advantages/disadvantages of either system, and can't seem to get anyone that really has anything to say other than one is belt drive and the other direct drive.

Anyway, those direct drive Bravos are no longer on the Maytag site, and I think MarkB is onto something with his statement about a new line on the horizon.

For what it's worth, we do like out Bravos 850, although there is some wrinkling and I'm not crazy about the rinsing. We use an extra rinse most of the time.

• markb
    12 years ago

That is correct Bravos4me. The machines were indeed the same, just a different standard of measurement. Maytag fudged and rounded the 3.96 to 4.0 cf. With the new measurement standard in place(at the request of our government), expect to see greater accuracy regarding tub volume.

Regarding the difference between belt drive verses direct drive, the former was developed to provide a lower price point for high efficiency toploaders as traditional deep fill agitator models(read cheaper)will be gradually phased out.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

My first Bravos (which I loved, but didn't have the internal heater) was listed as having 5.0 cu ft capacity. My current Bravos, the 850 model, was listed as having a 5.2 cu ft capacity, in every ad I saw and at every website I visited (I did lots of research). It is bigger than my first one.

MarkB, I don't mean to be contentious. This is simply a fact.

• markb
    12 years ago

I don't think you're contentious. I think you're confused.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Not confused here at all, Mark. I read that information given for both washers, a number of times.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Mara, what's the specific model you had first, and the model you have now? I'd like to compare the parts list to check if the tub and basket are different part numbers, as they should be if the sizes are physically different. Keep in mind that a capacity change can be attained (or claimed) simply by changing the profile of the impeller, the size/shape of the baffles on a frontloader, or by differences in method of calculation, even if the basket and/or tub size does not change.

• whirlpool_trainee
    12 years ago

You can go to http://access.whirlpool.com/wdl/ and then either select Whirlpool or Maytag, then Laundry -> Washer -> Top Load to see images of the new Cabrio and Bravos washers. The Whirlpool will now also come with a heater. The link below has a basic description as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.appliancesconnection.com/i200670-maytag-mvwb950yg.html

• missylin
    11 years ago

i am debating between the SpeedQueen 412 and the Bravo and the Cabrio. The SQ is American made and the best made of the 3 (no electronics, metal parts, etc. But I am worried that it might not be as gentle on the clothes. A store told me the newest Cabrios are better than the older ones but the Bravo has a much better warranty. (He is not anywhere near where I live- so cna't sell to me, so was being totally honest = he does not even sell the Bravo. Told me people in his town are not willing to pay the price for better washers, so he stocks few of them. I am a retired school teacher so don't have a lot of money, but want something that is gentle on my clothes and made to last. It might be that the two are not made in one machine. I love the made in the USA of SQ but worried about gentleness on my clothes. Can anyone help? I have not seen a Bravo in a store so don't know about price. either.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Just to clarify ... the correct name of the Maytag machine is Bravos, with an s, not Bravo. :-)

• missylin
    11 years ago

I've been looking the past few days and although the machines seem to be almost teh same the Maytag has a better waranty.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

dadoes, I think my washer model is actually 875, not 850. I have misplaced the washer manual.

• gingerquilts
    11 years ago

I am replacing my old FL set with the Bravos 950's thanks to Mara's recommendations. They will be delivered on Friday. I got a GREAT prelabor day sale on them. Fingers crossed! Looking at using powdered detergent in them which I never did in my old ones. Always used Tide he liquid.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

• kathiguam
    10 years ago

"....Whirlpool product. Id rather super glue my lips to my dogs behind first LOL."
    Well, that visual is a strong argument for staying away from Whirlpool. Now - if I can only get myself off of the floor from repetitive laughing! :-D

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

Me too, kathiguam. Haven't laughed so hard in days.