Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ariel at Walmart

Posted by houserookie (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 0:09

Today I saw a large bag of Mexican Ariel powder at Walmart. $10. They had only one left. I did not buy it because it was not the "low suds" one that we can use in FL.

I was also expecting a higher price tag. Is that the same as the European Ariel? I don't think I've ever seen it at Walmart before...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ariel at Walmart

It's likely a "domestic" version of Ariel, largely marketed to the Mexican consumer, and isn't quite the same as the European product. I haven't looked at the WM offering in a while, but I examined Ace, Ariel, Foca, & Roma at a local grocery several days ago and noticed "suds supresser" listed among the ingredients. I bought a bag of Ace Limon, which also lists "suds supressers."

Ace, Ariel, and Roma here are non-phosphate formulas (with enzymes), but Foca is still phosphated. I got a bag of Foca also.

I've used Ace, Ariel, & Foca in the past, but I don't recall mention of suds suppressors. I yet tried this new bag in my HE toploader, so can't say how much sudsing it produces.

o

dadoes - You are right. The Ariel I saw did not have phosphates listed.

I wonder if the rest of the ingredients are the same as the European version.

o

There is a huge thread about Mexican Ariel here at gardenweb, and the conclusion was that it used phosphates and had a really overpowering scent.

Mexican Ariel does not contain oxygen-bleach, but it DOES contain phosphates, which makes it very popular with many members here. Mexican Ariel is like a light blue (maybe more of a turqouise-color) and has blue "balls" as well. Mexican Ariel (like most other Mexican laundry and cleaning products) is highly scented, and can be a bit overpowering, especilly when using large amounts in a TL.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg1223082317906.html

o

The referenced thread is three years old and the details no longer apply. Not all Ariel for sale in the U.S. is a true Mexican version ... some of it has been "Americanized."

o

WalMart has the Ariel USA which was available in boxes & doesn't contain phosphates. However, the local RALEY's has Ariel that at a sticker saying it contained "sodium polyphosphates".

question: sodium polyphosphates = sodium tripolyphosphates ??

Side note: better go to Big Lots or 99 cent or such stores to get the last of the phosphated dishwasher detergent. Did 1 load with non-phosphated Cascade & it created a gray coating on my glassware that is hard to get off; that stuff don't work at all with any level of hard water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here