Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ktfrederick_gw

Fisher&Paykel GWL11 Issues.... Help!

ktfrederick
9 years ago

Alright, this forum has been a tremendous help, but I still can't make my GWL11 work properly!

Long story short... Motor control module has been replaced. RPS sensor has been replaced. Prior to replacing RPS the fault code was 130- after replacing RPS- fault code 240. It never actually beeps at me and triggers a code, but if I go into diagnostic mode and ask for it that's what it tells me.

When the wash gets to the rinse cycle it spins instead of rinses. The clothes never really get rinsed before they are spun (in the wrong order) and when this spin cycle is done, the machine just kind of sits there and doesn't do anything.

I've cleaned all of the connections in/on/around the RPS- top and bottom of the machine.

Any ideas what to try next? The pump doesn't leak. Everything else seems to work just fine now that I've replaced the motor control and the RPS sensor. What a mess! I've got about $300 into it in the last couple of weeks. I'd like to fix it!

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Fault 240 goes back to 130 (single RPS error) and 131 (repetitive RPS error).

Rinse "cycle" is a bit of misnomer. Rinse phase is more correct, being as there are several actions that occur ... draining, spinning, fresh water spray during spin, fresh water fill and agitation (depending on the selected fabric cycle and rinse options).

I assume you understand that the default (non-Softener) rinse on Heavy and Regular is different from the other cycles. Try Perm Press or Delicate, they run a traditional rinse sequence of spin-sprays and an agitated rinse, then the final spin. Or Regular or Heavy with Softener Rinse selected.

Fault codes stay in memory until approx 8 cycles have occurred with no faults. There's no way to manually clear the memory.

Assuming Fault 240 is legitimately recurring, then you apparently still have an RPS-related problem. Check for trouble on the wire connectors at the RPS and follow the wires back to the motor board for a cut or break or corrosion/misalignment at the board.

If nothing further can be found/confirmed related to the RPS, then the display board may be suspect. The display board has the cycle sequences, it sends the commands to the motor board to operate the various components.

You set the proper machine size when the new motor board was installed, yes?

• ktfrederick
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply dadoes!

Yep. Machine size was set.

The washing machine works just fine in Perm. Press mode. If I wash on 'regular' as soon as the machine gets to the "rinse" phase, nothing happens. It seems like it thinks it might be rinsing, but it isn't. No water coming out. It then starts to spin....

I've double and triple checked all wires to and from RPS. I'll check them and clean the terminal ends again.

This all started with a code 49- which I though was a cold water valve and turned out to be the motor control module. Cold and hot both measured 64ohms- replaced the MCM and machine still wouldn't work but at least would power on, got code 130- replaced RPS- didn't work at first but the more I messed with it and cleaned terminals etc. it started working... But not perfect.

If all I get is perm press is that good enough to wash clothes everyday? What's the difference?

Thanks!

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Perm Press differs from Regular & Heavy in that:
    1) Warm is the highest selectable wash temp*.
    2) It does not run the Eco Active pretreatment phase.
    3) The rinse sequence is a spin with sprays followed by a deep-fill agitated rinse, then the final spin. (Some F&P PP cycles run a different rinse sequence: drain the wash water, immediately refill for an agitated cool-down rinse, drain and spin, refill again for a 2nd agitated rinse, then the final spin. I don't know which PP cycle is programmed on your machine's board.)
    4) The final spin is short (2 mins)and 330 RPM instead of 1000 RPM.

* Perm Press allows Hot wash temp when programmed onto the Favorite button.

What happens on Regular & Heavy if Softener Rinse option is selected?

• Greg Neault
    5 years ago

So my GWL11 was showing a 130 fault code. I replaced the RPS with new and attempted to run it. Now I'm getting 240 fault code...and pissed off. Help!

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Examine the contacts on the wiring connector.

• Greg Neault
    5 years ago

I'm looking at the contacts, its hard to see inside the smaller red, blue and yellow connectors, but I don't really see anything. There is perhaps a small bit of corrosion in the big clear connector that hooks into the RPS. Any suggestions on how I might remedy that problem?

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Your initial Fault 130 is a "single RPS error" in the data pattern which often is
    related to a bad or dirty contact ... vs. Fault 131 which is a
    "continuous" error. It's not clear what operational time-frame is
    considered for the error to be "single" vs. "continuous." Fault 240 is just an additional/updated code reference for either 130 or 131.

Check that the two contacts for each wire in the connector aren't bent or misaligned. Cleaning corrosion is via whatever method you can muster that's effective but doesn't cause damage to the contacts.

I'm not aware that F&P sources just the connector as a part ... but the entire wiring harness (motor, RPS, pump, and diverter wires, plus pressure tube and drain hose) is available if there's no other choice.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County