Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few questions about washing soda

Posted by mara_2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 22:46

As I understand it, washing soda is stronger than baking soda. I've had good results using baking soda to deodorize stinky laundry when necessary.

How does washing soda compare with baking soda in this regard? In other ways?

And, where can one find washing soda?

Does washing soda fade clothing?

I've looked at virtually every local store and haven't seen it yet. I'm just wondering if it's worth a search.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few questions about washing soda

Washing soda is sodium carbonate, where as baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Washing soda is a natural builder much like phosphates in detergents. Washing soda forms insoluble precipitates when it softens the water so it is not as effective a builder as STPP (sodium tri-polyphosphate). Washing soda is a great laundry booster for getting clothes cleaner, but not effective at odor removal like baking soda. You should be able to buy it at your local grocery store in the laundry aisle, if not it can be bought online at the chemistry store. If you are looking for a great laundry booster and deodorizer then 20 Mule Team Borax is hard to beat. Borax can be found at your local grocery store in the laundry aisle as well. Hope this helps.

o

From "Laundry: the Home Comforts Book of Caring for Clothes & Linens" by Cheryl Mendelson (she's one of my favorite authors of books about housekeeping)

Washing soda, an alkali, helps cut grease, and is a water softener. Use 1/2 cup per regular load or 3/4 cup for an extra-large load.

Washing soda is effective as a pretreatment for many stains, including food stains, grease, diapers, lipstick and crayon. Work 4 tablespoons into a paste with water. Dampen the stain, and, wearing rubber gloves, rub the paste into the stain. To use washing soda as a presoak, use 1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water or 1/2 cup per regular washing load. Drain the clothes before washing.

You should exercise caution when using a strong caustic substance such as washing soda; test it first on an inconspicuous area of the garment. It should never be used on wool, silk, or other protein or animal-origin fibers. Also avoid using washing soda on any delicate cellulosic fibers. Use rubber gloves and keep it off your skin.

o

Thank you both for all this info. I remember seeing washing soda at local stores in the past, but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves now.

I did find 20 Mule Team Borax at one (just one) of our local Super Walmarts. Is it comparable to washing soda?

o

Borax is just as effective as washing soda as a laundry booster, plus it has the added benefit of removing certain odors.

o

Thanks for the info, jdenyer. I'll just use the Borax and forget about trying to find washing soda. :-)

o

Yes, washing soda does fade clothes. I did a test with clothing dye and put some in water, when I added the washing soda it did fade the color. I did the same test with borox and it did not fade the color at all. The washing soda would be good to use when washing whites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here