Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I fade my jeans?

Posted by beagle_nc (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 22:12

First let me thank all of you great people who have helped me in the past.
All of my new jeans are dark and even after washing several times the color is still rubbing off on everything. The seat of my car, my white shoes, light colored tops, even my hands are blue. I always wash in warm water, thought about hot but am concerned that they will shrink. If I let the washer fill with about a1/4 cup of bleach added and mixed well, will it totally ruin them? I have a speed queen awn542 top loader and useTide Total Care HE. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I fade my jeans?

You could try hot water, maybe on a gentle cycle. That's probably what I'd try first.

Have also read (after reading your question) that vinegar helps with bleeding colors. Just google: jeans vinegar. Here's the first result.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://jeans.about.com/od/Jeans101/a/How-To-Keep-Your-Jeans-From-Bleeding.htm

o
RE: How can I fade my jeans?

Diluted bleach wont ruin them. I've done it successfully.

The trick is to not use too much, make sure it really is diluted and mixed with the wash water before putting in the jeans.

Run the cycle longer with a little bleach (1/4 cup like you said).

You may as a precaution thoroughly wet the jeans before putting them in the bleach/water mix (as to buffer the denim and not have it absorb the bleach/water all at once).

Before the cycle drains, check to see if there is any fading, if not start the cycle at the beginning again.
If you do see some fading, have the cycle continue to the rinse cycle and spin dry. Then line dry.
The bleeding should be diminished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here