Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill4205

Holes in clothing - HELP?

jill4205
17 years ago

I posted on this problem a few months back, and I'm still experiencing it.

Our tshirts all end up with tiny holes, usually in clusters of three or four. This doesn't happen on other clothing, just on knit tshirts.

At first I thought it might be a problem with my Whirlpool Duet He set, purchased in Aug 05. I checked the inside of the drum in both washer and dryer all over with pantyhose, looking for something that could snag them, but found nothing. Some knowledgable people here said I should not spin the tshirts in anything higher than "medium" spin, as they could get pulled through the drain holes by the high rpms, and snag on the *underside* of the drum. Sounded logical to me, so I've been spinning them on "low" spin. For the record, I use Tide HE detergent and otherwise follow all instructions in the washer manual and the clothing care tags.

Well, now it's happening on our NEW tshirts! Aghh! Upon examining them, they are all happening in the same place too. On my tshirts, they happen right around the place where they hit my jeans waistband button. But on my husband's and son's shirt they tend to be on the back, also toward the bottom hem. If it was being caused by a washer problem, wouldn't they appear in different places? And some of my son's tshirts don't ever go in the dryer, so it can't be a dryer problem. And why do they appear in the front ONLY on my shirts, and on the back ONLY on theirs?

I've seen no moths, and anyway, if it's a moth problem, wouldn't the holes also appear in different places? Our tshirts all come from different places, so it can't be a manufacturing problem with the shirts.

I'm really at my wit's end with this. In 25+ years of doing laundry I've never experienced this. My son really doesn't want to switch to button-down shirts! LOL

Can anyone offer some insight on this problem? All help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (287)

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Could be a machine problem...but again enzymes will destroy silk..no maybe or possibly..its a definite.

• leonieariel
    7 years ago

I have been following this thread since the beginning and am also really angry about this issue and also perplexed that a definate answer has not been found. I hear what you are all saying about the washing machine drums but when it happened to me I had not changed anything.. same machine and a gentle eco friendly laundry liquid. What I find most intriguing is that in almost everyone's posts the holes are in the mid waist kind of area. If it was a machine thing why isn't it happening more in other areas. So I had another thought about where our garments come from ie China etc and how they pack them in crates etc to send around the world. When a t shirt is folded the exposed side is often around that mid area. I got to thinking this when I noticed how I fold mine in the draw. What if that part of the garments are coming into contact with something : chemical or other and they are fine until they are washed and come into contact with another chemical. Add that together with the poorer quality fabric and enzyme issue and machine issue. Sorry for long rave but would be good to hold someone accountable. I can't afford to be throwing away any clothes. I'd love to hear back from some of the original posters to hear if they have come up with anything.

• User
    7 years ago

I am just as perplexed. BUT I don't think that's the case. My shirts have Country of Origin from multiple locations and 6+ shirts I've had to throw out were OLD shirts probably over 5 years old and washed MANY times at our previous house and with our older appliances. And the material is probably WORN a bit more in the belly area (leaning on counters, belts etc), and is more easily whipped around and near the end of the shirt fabric in the machine. This is all just conjecture, but I can't think of what else... And I just noticed on my super light weight rayon/spandex sweater (Made in Mexico) also has the same holes in the mid-lower sleeves. Had just one hole last time, and now has 5. Just confounded over this and really upset at all the clothing getting thrown out and unwearable. And those that just had pin holes get worse after multiple washes, and end up getting tossed as well.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I don't know if this is going thru but.....yes you could have a machine problem Maria...but when you mention silk and rayon...holes...and Wisk or Persil or any number of other detergents on the shelf..they contain enzymes..those enzymes eat these fabrics..enzymes are put in detergent to eat stains..protein stains..these fabrics are protein based the enzymes will eat them..leaving behind holes.

• User
    7 years ago

Can't be stains/enzymes if also on new shirts, but I'll take a closer look at the detergents. And I've washed my silk blend shirt without any problems on delicate cycle many times. We sort all laundry by type and do small loads. I HATE my new washer/dryer (and I was sooooo excited to get a new set!?) I just ordered a set of different size mesh laundry bags on Amazon to see if that will help...Going to do some testing over the next few weeks - stay tuned.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

Mama has a good point. Perhaps you should try an enzyme free detergent? Purex, Tide Simply, Arm and Hammer, and a few All formulas are enzyme free. With all the above brands, avoid any that say they contain Clorox, oxi or OxiClean as those formulas contain enzymes. The bottle will say if it has enzymes or not on the back label.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

You don't need a stain for the laundry enzymes to eat the silk..google it

• beaglenc
    7 years ago

Are any of the t-shirts all cotton or cotton knit? I'm thinking along Littlegreeny's line about cellulase, in another thread. Could be adding to the problem, as well as above mentioned situations.

• joan_petty
    7 years ago

I am so glad to have found this thread, because I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. I've been having the "mystery hole" problem for the last several years. It began when we lived in the northern Baja, overlooking the Pacific ocean. My husband and I decided that the holes were caused by silverfish or moths, so I treated everything in the closets and drawers and we even subscribed to an exterminating service. Still, the problem continued. And, like others have reported, it only happens to MY clothes -- never my husbands -- and it only happens to my Tshirts and light weight cotton tops. We moved to TX from the Baja a little over a year ago and we have a different house and a different (brand new) washer and dryer. All clothes are washed/sorted and I use the same detergent (ALL) for everything. NONE of my husband's shirts has ever been damaged. I can't believe that the holes in my tops are being caused by the washer or dryer, and I know for sure that they aren't caused by the seatbelt, because I don't drive, and I rarely go in the car because I don't do the shopping. The fact that the holes are small and appear only in the front of my tops is baffling. I can't imagine bugs knowing or caring where they chew. We have tile floors throughout and we live in a new house, so the carpet beetle theory doesn't really make a lot of sense to me either. I am baffles and I am very frustrated. I thought when we moved and got new appliances and a different house, I would be rid of the problem.

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

I will repeat my previous post, that based on my personal experience it is caused by the rough undeside edges of newer formica/laminate countertops. I had no issue with holes when I had ancient formica, nor when I upgraded to granite. I had the holes in all three places I have lived in the past 6 years that had relatively new formica. It doesn't take much of a rough edge to snag one lone thread of a knit top when you lean up against the counter washing dishes.

• User
    7 years ago

MY TESTING AND FOLLOW-UP - as per my previous emails, I have now spent last 3 weeks closely doing informal testing. It is NOT our countertops as I have now closely inspected shirts BEFORE and AFTER washing and YES - the holes appear after washing! Our new washer does have flashing on the INSIDE drum and very lightweight clothing can get sucked through and snag as they pull back out. Also a combination of new HE detergents, the noted enzymes are adding to the issue by weakening fabrics that may have slight stains or slight snagging from countertops or belts - although the same counters and belts DID NOT cause holes before I got the new appliances...

I am now washing in cooler temperatures, lowest spin cycle, using significantly LESS detergent and using mesh wash bags for the very lightweight shirts and delicates - and NO MORE HOLES - YAY!!!! I remove them from the bags and do light tumble dry low temp or even hang dry very lightweight shirts, and FINALLY after a year of losing over 40 shirts now, I think I have the solution. I bought a set of mesh bags different sizes on Amazon and finally happy. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NEYOQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  But I am still pissed at the manufacturers not fixing this issue - not a big deal to smooth out the internal flashing sharp spikes on the drum to avoid this whole issue on the new fast spin washers. - Just about all brands seem to have the same issue.

• twotzus
    7 years ago

I started washing on delicate cold in mesh bags when I first posted in this thread a few years ago. It did not make a difference...still holes. In fact I now HANDWASH all my and my daughter's tee shirts and while it has helped some, repeated hand washing over time results in the same pinholes. I am now leaning toward the cause as enzymatic detergents. I am going too look for a detergent without stain fighting enzymes and see if it makes a difference. Folks, this is NOT caused by counters as I have had granite, tile and Formica. Makes no difference. The holes are still appearing.

• joan_petty
    7 years ago

There has to be another reason ....... it can't be the washer or the dryer or the counter top or seat belts, etc., ......... because WHY are the holes (at least mine) only on the front of my cotton tops, and not on any others, and my husbands clothes are not affected?? He stands at the sink and leans against the granite counter top as much as I do, and he drives much more than I do, and I wash our clothes together (properly sorted). Makes NO sense to me at all and is driving me crazy.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Do you all know what type of fabric the shirts are..any silk, wool, rayon in them??

• cathyyg
    7 years ago

Yes, it is the countertops catching and ripping the threads. The hole only appears after washing as the knitted fabric doesn't unravel and create the visible hole until you wash it.

• littlegreeny
    7 years ago

It's very likely to be a combination of enzymes reacting with an individual's body chemistry and/or personal care products (lotion, soap, perfume, etc) along with the aggressive HE wash/spin action. That along with the reduced quality fabrics used in today's clothing is causing these issues.

• imstevetv
    6 years ago

It's going on 11 years and all the talk about Tide, Samsung, enzymes, detergent, counters, etc. But nobody has mentioned bugs? Moths, termites, and silverfish are just a few of the many bugs that will eat your clothes...and leave holes in them. I just found a brand new shirt with 3 holes on the back toward the collar. Never washed, can't blame Tide. Still has tags and never worn, so no leaning against counter to blame. And I don't have a Samsung washer but it doesn't matter since it's never been washed. Silverfish like starch and termites will eat cotton or linens that are plant based. Hope this helps!

• User
    6 years ago

You may be getting bugs then. All our issues have been MANY tiny holes in the belly area - always the lower front of the shirt. I think I have a handle on it now as to WHY this is happening...now going on 4 months of no holes, after tossing over 50 shirts over the last 2 years - mostly mine (female thin cotton or poly, some t-shirts, some expensive office shirts, some nylon polo shirts for husband and a handful of cotton t-shirts for sons).

I've had pest control spray the house inside and out, have moth balls and herbal packets in every drawer, sanded down the granite countertop edges. I've washed shirts and they always appear after laundry, but I've checked the washer and dryer and started putting all delicates and shirts into mesh bags and improved - less holes, but STILL getting them. After going online again and researching other than washer issues, I see it is a WORLDWIDE problem. A gal in Australia did semi-scientific experimentation and I repeated many of them. I seem to FINALLY have eradicated the problem - 4 months no holes now. I did notice that I have been dressing more casually at home and work - more pants, less dresses, pants all have metal snaps, buttons. The problem seems to be a COMBINATION of events, but the actual issue seems to be thinner fabrics getting sandwiched between pants metal/hard plastic buttons that are not covered by fabric or snaps, or belts right at the belly height where the button is and where your shirt touches countertops, office desk, table tops, car seatbelts - all of them rubbing this area - just enough friction to wear down the thin fibers. (I only get them with thinner summer shirts, problem stopped over the winter.) They start microscopic so you can't seem them initially. Then the enzymes in detergent and the high spin cycles tear down the frayed fibers and the holes appear, the nylon/poly fabrics start to run. Each wash they get bigger, and more until you throw out another shirt.

I now continue to use the mesh bags, and only spin on low cycle using MINIMAL amount of HE detergent. I always pull up my shirt in the car or at my desk at work, try to remember to wear an apron in the kitchen and avoid leaning into counters. I've ironed on fuse-able interfacing onto the insides of some shirts to prevent the friction in this area. Bought all new shirts and kept some old with just minimal holes and so far no new holes, no worse fraying. I'll keep you posted if I have been successful, but it seems to be the combination doing the worst to your shirts. Try these steps and see if you have better luck. Hope you do!

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Which enzymes do you think contribute to this?

• PRO
    Davidson Organizing, LLC
    6 years ago

So I'm not going crazy... We have Whirlpool Duet set that is 11 years old and we get tiny holes in our shirts. Happens mostly to my shirts where they hit the top of my pants. But there's been no rhyme or reason to the mystery.

• Haname
    6 years ago

Do you lean on the counter when you stand in front of the sink? Try wearing an apron and the mystery holes will stop appearing on your shirts. Or make a point of not leaning against the counters.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Do you hand wash your tops? I still wonder if fabric is getting snagged inside the holes of the drum during the very high spin speeds.

• joan_petty
    6 years ago

If the fabric is being snagged inside the holes of the drum of the washer during spinning, it doesn't make sense that the holes would be located only in the front of the garment. I have several tops with four to six tiny holes right in the lower front. I can't imagine the holes are being caused by leaning against the granite counter top, but nevertheless, I am going to try wearing an apron for a while to test the theory.

• Haname
    6 years ago

If the holes are always in the same area of your shirts, a likely cause is that you are leaning against a counter where the shirt will then rub against your waistband fly or button or belt. It isn't the belt that was the problem, it is pressing your tummy against the counter. Get an apron, problem solved. Then you will start noticing wear on your apron in that same area. Or train yourself to stop leaning against the counter.

• joan_petty
    6 years ago

I'm still confused, because I never had this problem until about 4 years ago .... and I have ALWAYS leaned against the counter and have never experienced the little holes in the front of my tops. I am still going to try the apron thing and see what it does.

• asko_buyer
    6 years ago

When I went from using a small European FL to a full-sized LG FL machine I felt that some clothing was looking worn more quickly when using the default Normal/Cotton cycle. My remedy was to use Perm Press, which uses more water (I think) and spins at medium speed. When I noticed towels developing holes prematurely (washed with the Normal/Cotton cycle) I started decreasing the spin speed from High to Medium. Also, I put delicate and flimsy clothing in mesh bags, and use the Delicate cycle as much as possible. Although many like the thought of using high spin speeds, such speeds with large drums put more force on clothing than with smaller drums, which (I believe) results in fabrics wearing out faster. Just my thoughts on this subject.

• debbieproberts
    6 years ago

This conversation began in 2006 because that's when stores started selling these thin fabric shirts. It's not your washing machine, it's not your detergent, it's not the way you wear your shirt, it's the cheap fabric being used to make these shirts. Until we start complaining to the stores selling such poor quality shirts, we will continue to have holes . Sadly, many of my favorite shirts have holes. Oh well, if we can wear torn up jeans, we can wear shirts with tiny holes.

• Marie
    6 years ago
    Thank you so much for this post! I thought I was going mad. I kept blaming my husband and have so many items of clothes that are now destroyed. I’m in NZ and purchased a fisher and paykel front loader washing machine. I have noticed tiny holes in sleeves and on the front of items. I was convinced we had some sort of bug eating my clothes! Yes just mine too. I think it is a combination of things for us. I am convinced the washing machine is the primary cause of the problem as not only do holes appear but from time to time there are patches all over the garment where it is clear it’s been caught and stretched. I’m taking Maria’s advice moving to bags for all my washing, I’m going to look into the laundry liquid too although I’m sure it’s not that but I do from time to time use s stain remover so perhapsa some sort of combination thank you ladies!
  • User
    6 years ago

I was stumped for months and had expensive work blouses ruined. I also think it is definitely a COMBINATION of elements - typically just my shirts, but occasionally some holes in son's concert t-shirts, or husbands nicer polo shirts as well. Since I've done the COMBO TREATMENT - I have had NO FURTHER holes at all - 9 months CLEAN so far - so I must be doing something right. Per my earlier post this year...

COMBO TREATMENT is:

I use different size laundry bags for all delicates and shirts, blouses. Great buy on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NEYOQQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I make sure to pull up my shirt (and tuck into top of pants) away from the METAL buttons on jeans, away from seat belts over the belly, especially when leaning against kitchen counter or office desk. Just pull them up or now I will wear an apron in the kitchen. Its not necessarily snagging - its the friction of the metal button through the shirt against any hard surface wearing at the fibers and thinning them down. Then the laundry does the rest.

Shirts that already started getting micro holes - so they don't get worse - I iron on a small square of fusible interfacing on the INSIDE of the shirt - and kept the mini holes from shredding any further. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nELJ1Fj6yaY

I also use LESS HQ detergent, LOW SPIN cycles on washer, and changed detergents to less harsh - use minimal stain sprays and wash immediately.

Good luck to everyone on this really Frustrating issue. I think I have it knocked. No more moth ball fumes on everything - not needed!

• joybird999
    6 years ago

I have the same issue, small holes in T-shirt’s and inexpensive thin cotton blend knits. The holes are just below the naval. My husband doesn’t have this with his T-shirts. I wash these in cold water, on delicate cycle. I noticed I lean against my granite counter wheneven I am doing something, so I think it is abrasion. My nicer tops do not have this, but I usually don’t wear them when working at the counter and don’t wear them as often.

• s_d_galbraithinidaho
    6 years ago
    I have had the same problem too. I believe my gas cook range is the cause. My holes are exactly at the level (just above my pants button) which is exactly the level of the burners on my range. I noticed it on brand new shirts recently, right after cooking. I wonder if all of you coon on a gas range too?
  • kathyg_in_mi
    6 years ago

I’m sure the holes I get are caused from me leaning in to the bathroom mirror. Holes all ways in the same spot and the counter has an edge to it. Will see what happens when we redo the bathroom this year.

• steveghorton
    5 years ago

Has anyone thought that it could be the hob on your stove that is causing the problem. When cooking in a frypan on the gas element tiny spots of fat fly out over the edge of the frypan. The flame from the gas fire coming round the edge of the frypan ignites the tiny spot of fat as it lands on the clothing while you are standing close to the work of cooking. If you find that your clothing touches the front edge of the stove while cooking this can happen. Especially if the cooking is done on the front element. Husbands are generally taller with longer arms and their clothing does not touch. I am in the process of setting up an experiment to test this theory as my wife is angry, furious and frustrated and losing so many good tops.

• steveghorton
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I believe it could the gas range also. Tiny spots of fat when frying, land on the clothing at the same time as the flame round the edge of the frying pan ignites it. Shorter people standing close to the bench top with a hob cook top are most susceptible. Taller people with longer arms are able to stand further away. Free standing stoves with knobs on the front force you to stand further away.

• cathyyg
    5 years ago

Nope. The holes are well below the top of the range, at the level of the bottom edge of the countertop.

This is my second home where replacing new formica counters with quartz or granite counters solved the tiny holes issue.

• twocrows
    5 years ago

RE: THE HOLES IN CLOTHING ARE DESIGNED TO HAPPEN??????????

Has anyone missed the FACT that the holes are all in roughly SAME AREA (and how convenient that it is the MOST NOTICEABLE area - the BELLY!)? Therefore I feel it has NOTHING to do with washing machines/detergents/quality of cloth. As for the "rubbing on belts etc." - belts & jean buttons/seat belts etc. have been around for eons.

How about this for a conspiracy theory: the stores/manufacturers (or whoever) of CHEAP clothing want you to buy MORE CHEAP clothing. So they'll sell it to you CHEAPLY, but it's made to SELF DESTRUCT QUICKLY SO YOU HAVE TO BUY MORE OF IT!

OR: it's revenge on the stores, manufacturers (or who ever), by someone else (because I've STOPPED buying from these stores)?

This is my conspiracy theory: SOMEONE has made a chemical spray that acts like a strong bleach (to cause holes to form) and it's ONLY ACTIVATED BY WASHING.

My reasoning is this: I had 12 pieces of clothing from one store ALL WITH HOLES IN THE BELLY AREA. I was so mad I returned them all at once:the clerk DIDN'T EVEN QUESTION how the holes came about (????????) - she just told me that she could give me $5 per article without a receipt. Wow - No Questions asked!

?????????????????????

• debbieproberts
    5 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I made similar comment in October, 2017, to no avail. I can't believe consumers are so willing to blame themselves. The clothing made today is so thin it's inevitable they will have holes. I only wish they would last more than one washing. I will now be returning instead of keeping. Maybe if enough people return these items, sonothing will be done. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!

• twocrows
    5 years ago

Hi Deb; maybe if everyone sent this conspiracy theory to the CBC someone would do a story on it (I did a long time ago but to no avail). Or put it all over the net somehow (because when I search for the problem/answer nothing but silly suggestions come up).

I'm thinking it could be the workers spraying the items (in revenge for horrific working conditions - Bangladeshi Revenge I call it). But eventually this would put them out of jobs entirely so....

If the holes took longer to form then the theory of the sellers doing it (so we buy more) would make sense, but at the rapid speed the holes form it's doing them more harm than good I think (as I said earlier: I don't shop there any more).

I've noticed this happening to articles from two stores that sell cheap clothing, as well as another outfit that sells left overs of usually decent lines (obviously they're slipping cheap stuff to their stores).

• bramley98072
    5 years ago

I stopped wearing a traditional belt and I haven't had a hole in my T-shirts since.

• twocrows
    5 years ago

I've NEVER worn a belt & I've had many, many tops from Walmart & Superstore develop these holes all in the SAME PLACE (right in front so you can't avoid having to throw it out).

I think it's down right amazing that this doesn't happen to the clothing I buy from OTHER STORES that are washed & worn the same way by the same BELTLESS person. ;)

Maybe it's Bangladeshi Revenge for the poor wages and treatment?

• debbieproberts
    5 years ago

Ditto! But mine have all come from Target and Kohls. I also don't wear belts.

• twotzus
    5 years ago

Ok here is my update and final conclusion. I first posted in this thread about 5 years ago and have since tried all or most of the suggestions posted here to join avail. I've switched washing machines from Bosch when the holes first started appearing to Samsung, washed on delicate cold in mesh bags and on delicate cold cycles, and changed detergents innumerable times. Granite, tile, Formica, and even marble countertops have not made a difference. About 8 months ago I purchased "slide" belts and completely stopped using the traditional tooth and grommet type. I can now report that since switching to the slide style belts I have not gotten any holes in my shirts. I have gone back to washing them in the machine (all my own clothes I wash on cold delicate) and have not gotten any more holes in my thin Eddie Bauer or Old Navy tee shirts. I cant go without belts because my pants and shorts fall down my hips, but the slide type have definitely taken care of the tee shirt hole problem. I generally don't wear my shirts tucked in and just wear belts for utility rather than fashion so those of you who wear cute fashionable belts might not like this solution although there are cute women's slide belts out there. But this has worked for me. Good luck to everyone!

• althom1
    5 years ago
    CARPET BEETLES!!!! For years I drove myself crazy trying to figure out how I was getting these tiny holes in my cotton clothing. I bought new washers, made sure it wasn’t my zipper or belt, not my seatbelt or countertops or dryer. After researching I found articles about carpet beetles. I got in my closet near where I kept my laundry basket and there they were! I found the larva which are little worm like creatures that turn into beetles with a distinct pattern. After removing all clothing, washing everything, getting the closet sprayed and vacuuming every little nook and cranny we no longer have the problem. The thought of these insects eating my clothes made me feel dirty and embarrassed. I keep a very clean home. According to the guy that sprayed our house he said they are more common than you think and they live on certain plants and can just fly into your home and start reproducing. Just google carpet beetles and see if it matches what you are seeing. I hope this helps someone because it drove me mad for years!
  • HU-860017550
    4 years ago

Past desperate - I have a problem with my water in that it is sticky & my body burns while in bath or shower & after. Holes in my clothes, which appear in my drawers when they have not been used or washed for ages. Different size holes , although mostly small same size holes . One or often 3 in a row. Also have marks on my body . Holes in blankets as well . My coats have tiny holes, housecoats, pjs although holes can be in the top but not the buttoms . I have even been wearing the clothes & holes have appeared while i am wearing them , which were not present before I put them on as i check everything. had a shower two hrs ago , skin still burning. Now noticed hole in my housecoat which was hanging in my closet. holes will appear in clothes hanging in the closet , but not all of the clothes. I sound crazy , however am slowly getting there due to this problem lol . Terrified chemicals in my water causing this . Have been told told is a possibility by be expert but very expensive to confirm & treat . Has anyone else ran into anything like this. Have also noticed small holes in grandkids clothes & friends , but this is just laughed off by them , so i do not brink this up. I am sticky when having a shower somewhere else, but not as bad as in my condo . Help .

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

HU-860017550

This is the most bizarre post I've ever read. Holes appear while you're wearing your clothes? Your water is sticky and your burn when bathing? And how long has this been going on? No, it doesn't cost a lot of money to have your water analyzed. You contact your state's board of water/sewage. They should send someone out to test your water. I did this years ago when we were constantly having apple juice colored water. And it's not up to YOU to pay for fixing the problem. It's the water company's (or the city). So how long have you been using/bathing in this water? Reads like a sci-fi movie.

• Lynn Charlton
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I too have the same problem, but has got nothing to do with washing.

My problem is my gas stove. We have a new house with a new gas stove the cooktop being gas. I have burned holes in sooooo many shirts, and now I know why...........it is the gas stove! everytime! I now wear a heavy cotton apron, and ...,problem solved. I hope this helps someone out there with the same problem.

• HU-186529167
    3 years ago

Wow, so many theories! I also have had 4 tops purchased at a local boutique, and very expensive. All of them had pin holes, either before or after I washed them on delicate in mesh bags. And, all of the pin holes or larger are located at the bottom area or around or under the belly area. I am clueless. The fabrics are mostly cotton, very thin fabric. One brand name is, XCVI and the other is Free People. So, we are talking anywhere from $58 to $65 for a stylish very thin summer top. I have returned 2 XCVI tops and will be returning another one today as well as the Free People top. I cannot see wearing something once and washing it on delicate and in a laundry bag in a front loading newer washer and resulting in having holes. I don't wear a belt or lean on the counter when I wash dishes. As far as laundry detergent, I usually use Tide and have used it for several years. I am baffled and bummed out, I love this one top. But, seriously, I do feel that the fabric is cheaply made or this problem of pin holes would not occur. We live in Northern CA and do not have bugs in the house. My boyfriends $5 Walmart T Shirts do not have holes! And, I pay like 10 to 15 times more for mine and they do.... This is just crazy. I will purchase new laundry detergent today, in the event that may be a deterrent. But, I believe it is the fabric being thinner and doesn't wear well. This may be coupled with the fact the manufacturers wish to have us replace clothing like everything else in our disposable world!

• PRO
    Davidson Organizing, LLC
    3 years ago

I continue to be baffled. We changed washer/dryer twice now and keep getting tiny holes only in my tops (none in husband's or my teen son's). I do not lean against counters and I never wear belts.

• enduring
    3 years ago

Do you do the front tucking of shirt into your waist band? I know for a few years that has been the style. Could that be causing extra wear and tear on the fabric front?

• janette15
    2 years ago

People, this is not how you wear, wash, or move about in the tee shirts. Whoever heard of having to be gentle with a tee shirt. Most of the reasons we wear them to begin with is because their comfortable and you shouldn’t have to treat casual wear like It is silk, a tux or an elegant gown. That defeats the whole purpose of a t shirt.

It is the cheap and terrible quality of the fabrics used so the sell of these tees are more profitable. I can recall t shirts of the past, the only thing that would happen to them was fading, never had holes unless punctured or caught on something. A lot of the comments above are correct, in reference to the amount of money these stores are making all the while killing the employees in other countries with cheap labor practices. Unfortunately, because we buy from these countries American quality is bye, bye.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths