Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprillh

Help dilineating differences between Whirlpool FLs

April
9 years ago

I am on a front loader w/d search and have it narrowed down to GE, Samsung, and Whirlpool based on extensive research here on GW. GE has one FL model to consider, Samsung has 4, while Whirlpool has 16! I am going dizzy trying to decipher the differences between all their models. They all seem to be the same model with one or two different features (6th sense live, smart assistant, precision dispense ultra, adaptive wash technology, etc. etc.). Can anyone make any sense of the Whirlpool models? Am I better off just picking their highest rated one or is there one I should definitely consider? Or if anyone has one they love, please let me know!

Comments (4)

• georgect
    9 years ago

At the Whirlpool web site use the "Compare" option to compare washer offerings (4 at a time).
    I noticed quite a few differences i.e. 1/4 horse power and 3 speed 1/2 horse power.
    Direct Drive (no belt)
    Spin Speeds
    Soil Level options
    Wash Cycles

Some are just color differences, compare the same colors so you don't go crazy comparing too many machines.
    Go with what's important to you.

Personally I'd go with Whirlpool over Samsung or GE.

This post was edited by georgect on Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 9:43

• April
    Original Author
    9 years ago

George, that was a big help. I selected the color and it reduced it down to anywhere from 8 to 10. Still a lot to go through, but not quite as dizzying. I guess I'm not sure which features are really important. I know I do want the automatic detergent dispenser. That seems really handy especially since most people use too much laundry detergent (guilty). But all the others I dont know. Any thoughts on the must-haves?

Interesting that you say go with Whirlpool over GE and Samsung. I was leaning that way anyway simply by the sheer number of machines Whirlpool offered when compared with the other two. Care to share your thoughts behind your preference? I haven't shopped for a W/D in a long time so I am open to ideas!

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Currently, there seem to be three models from Whirlpool with Precision Dispense Ultra

- WFW96HEA
    - WFW97HED (same but with styling changes and a different drum pattern)
    - WFL98HEBU

Alex

• georgect
    9 years ago

If you're interested in the Precision Dispense option (from the three models whirlpool trainee pointed out), the WFW96HEA looks like it might offer some good features.

Both offer 4.30 Cu.Ft drum, 1400 RPM spin speed, stackable,
    The WFW96HEA offers:
    12 Wash Cycles (instead of 13)
    Has Pre Soak 30 min, 8 hour, 60 min (No Pre Soak on other)
    4 Soil levels - Extra Heavy (instead of 3 no Extra Heavy)
    3 speed 1/2 horsepower (instead of 1/3 horsepower)
    5 spin speeds (instead of 4 on the other)
    LCD count down indicator

The WFL98HEBU offers:
    Bulky Items, Hand Wash, Jeans, My Cycle, Rinse/Drain
    A LCD information window.

For $200 less the WFW96HEA offers a lot of features.
    With the WFL98HEBU you're paying for the LCD screen.

Samsung makes eye catching machines but I read a lot of issues with them not standing by the customers after the sale and when you have issues (same with LG).
    Parts seem harder to come by, machines are made in Korea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Precision Dispense