Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rogerv_gw

Can I fix this?

rogerv_gw
10 years ago

I have a Kenmore front loading washing machine that's about 12-years old (417.41142000). The fabric softener part of the dispenser drawer has been having problems being drained by the end of the wash, I was finding it full a lot. It looked like it had been filled with water, but the water had not drained. So I cleaned out the inside of the dispenser drawer compartment with a water/bleach solution since I could see mold/mildew in there, and made sure that the little drawer insert for the fabric softener could itself drain.

After that, I was still seeing the same thing, that the fabric softener part of the dispenser drawer wasn't empty when the wash was done, so I decided to try using vinegar instead of fabric softener to see if that wouldn't clean things out.

So what I'm seeing now when the wash is done is that the same original vinegar that was there seems to be still there in the fabric softener partition. As though there were no water going in there to wash it out in the first place. It doesn't look like it just failed to drain, still about the same level (about half full) and smells like vinegar.

Any ideas on what might be wrong here? I will most likely pay someone else to fix it if doing that entails taking the machine apart...And I'm also asking myself if I'll get enough life out of a 12-year old washer to justify a $200 repair bill.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert