Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electrolux: 55 or 65 series?; Mold resistant or not?

Posted by infohound2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 21:04

I'm almost ready to purchase an Electrolux (floor model), either the EIFLs55 or an EWFLs65. Besides RPM and # of custom cycles, it doesn't look like there's that much difference between the 55 and the 65 series. What might I miss if I got a 55?

And, very importantly, what about mold? On some of the floor models, the inner and outer parts of the folded over rubber boot touched each other (usually in the 4 o'clock area). This seems bad -- a setup for mold growth.

Is that common, or a defect? Does mold grow where the sides touch? Or, do the Electrolux boots contain anti-mold/anti-bacterial, like Macroban or Triclosan? (I've heard that rumor, and Amana treats the FL washer seals with Microban, and Electrolux uses Triclosan on some product(s), but there's no mention of a biocide on the Electrolux washers website).

On the other hand, I've only seen one report of mold on the Electrolux rubber boots.) If either of the models has a biocide in the rubber boot, I'd definitely want to know (I have a mold allergy)!

So please, help me choose wisely between the 55 and the 65!

Here is a link that might be useful: Amana NFW7200TW with Microban

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electrolux: 55 or 65 series?; Mold resistant or not?

Hi Infohound,
here on the other side of the pond frontloaders are pretty common since late fifties. In this half century nobody has ever had any mold issue .... until lately something has changed : in order to appear "greener and greener" P&G Henkel and ReckittBenckiser are pushing consumers to cold washing (even for whites).

50 years ago microban and triclosan layers/coatings were rocket science here, yet frontloader were "mold-proof" cause most of the loads our grannies ran were boilwashes.

Then in the 80ies came the 1st "green wave" : the boil wash was almost banned as an "energetic sin" and 60C/140F became the "politically correct" temp. Anyway no mold yet.

In late nineties the "right" temp was dumbed down to 40C/105C. Then those "green-lebans" who blindly trusted this rule were the first europeans to discover the joys and pleasures of mold and mildew. Manuals began to warn people to carry a hot wash now and then. As you see, previously this was an useless warning.

Now the latest green trend is cold washing in endless cycles to save heating energy. No need to say that these detergents to be able to wash in cold water are so stuffed with enzymes that actually aren't "green". Also IMHO it's greener to wash everything @ the proper temp rather than washing every load in cold and have to carry some empty maintenance/machine cleaning boilwashes now and then

To cut a story short : a frontloader is not "mold resistant" in itself. It is the "pilot" skill and common sense : use actual hot water (140F at least) when required (white loads) and you won't have any issue.

An internal heating element is much more important than microban and triclosan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here