Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weird yellow spots on whites

Posted by connecticut_resident (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 20:20

I have a weird thing that's happened a few times these past two summers when I wash my kids' tennis whites. My washer is a 10+ year old Maytag top loader that (other than this issue I'm going to describe) has never given me problems. I wash on warm/cold using powdered Tide and nothing else. The laundry emerges from the machine with yellow spots in places. Not pale yellow under the arms or around the collars, but fairly bright yellow in what looks like random spots.

Soaking in Oxy and washing again fades the yellow but the spots don't quite go away.

I thought it might be stains from sunblock somehow getting set in the wash but then I washed some of my nephew's whites, and he hadn't worn sunblock, and the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weird yellow spots on whites

This weird problem has been around awhile, along with mysterious little holes in cotton shirts. I think we decided it was probably not just one cause, but probably any number of things. Sunscreen, as you mentioned. Maybe moisturizers, chemicals on car seats, or even chemicals or oils left in the cloth from the processing and manufacturing. Some spots appear before the clothes were ever worn!

If you figure it out please let everyone here know. We will appreciate it.

o

I was getting some yellow-orangish spots on clothes that I figured out was from whatever it is that they use to "glue" on the "felt" strips on the dryer drum. I have since stopped using a real hot setting on the dryer (it's a gas dryer) and the spots have stopped. Are your spots on things that you have run through the dryer?

o

Yellow spotting on whites can be a phenomenon of using chlorine bleach. It's pretty well documented from what I can google. Did you by chance maybe use it in the wash water? I know I have bleached canvas sneakers in the wash machine and came out with yellow polka dots on otherwise just muddy shoes.

o

You might also have hard water which is heavy in iron. Too much iron and/or calcium might also cause yellowish or reddish spots on laundry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here