Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Buy new or pay heavily for repairs???

loves2read
9 years ago

We got this GE front loading set when we bought this house in FL and the sellers left it--guess they consider it was an appliance like the fridge even though neither is built in...

think they were about 4-5 yrs old then so maybe 7 now...looked very nice and worked ok for while but...liquid fabric dispenser hasn't worked for year or more. I was told that I needed to replace the entire dispenser assembly at more than $300 when I had estimate for repair--so I just use dryer sheets...

Now the shocks on the drum are out--the drums swings easily when pushed and gets out of whack when there are towels in the load or anything heavy--and I have front loader at other house that had same issue and needed shocks...
I am thinking it will cost $500-600 or more to get them replaced along with anything else the repair guy might cite as problem getting in...
plus reading up on GE front loaders it seems like actually making the repair is a Hail Mary because of the initial design/construction...

Would you spend 5-600 on a "free" washer--that might go belly up for another reason in 6 mo?
or look for new one--

IF a new one--what brand do you recommend--
I am not enamoured of front loaders if there is a good quality top loader out there...
but seems like Samsung which CR recommended has lots of real-world detractors...same with some other brands...so looks like buying a pig in a poke almost to try a new one out...

Appreciate any insight/recommendation for clarification...

Comments (8)

• georgect
    9 years ago

I wouldn't put money in the 7 year old GE set.
    I would get either a Whirlpool or Electrolux set.

Whirlpool has been at the front load game a good while now and most kinks have been worked out.

Electrolux has been at the front load game even longer (world wide).
    I wouldn't trust LG or Samsung, they are great looking machines but when something goes wrong (and it will) they seem to have troubles getting parts quick and customer service isn't what it should be.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

site called Reviewed.com lists two Kenmore washers, a Maytag, an Electrolux before the Whirlpool Duet model--
    the Kenmores sounded good--
    the recommended Electrolux is supposed to have a very loud cycle--
    would prefer to have quieter model since laundy is by bedrooms...

would the Kenmores be made by Whirlpool??? so their model?

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Kenmores are LG's.(washers anyway, guess the dryers are also)

LG front loaders have been the most trouble free for several years in a row.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Two years ago people on these forums recommended Speed Queen top loaders when I asked this question. I bought one and I love it. There are several threads on this forum you may look up to read more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did a search--
    there just seems to be lack of consensus--
    when one person reports a problem with a brand another person contradicts it...

I was struck by the one person who said that Samsung can make good machine if you add a surge protector since the machine is susceptible to power surges---our part of FL where this house is located has many power surges from the storms that pop up so often...
    we always find our microwave and/or oven clocks tripped
    so I wonder if any other brands also have that issue--
    problem w/my GE has nothing to do with power surges however...

• georgect
    9 years ago

loves2read...
    That's a good point about the surge protector.
    I would use a single outlet protector on the newer electronic washers (not like the old mechanical washers of the past where an electrical surge wouldn't mess anything up).

If you look into the surge protectors, look for one with a high "Joule" rating.
    TripLite makes one with a 1410 Joule rating (check the link).

By the way, Maytag is now made by Whirlpool.

I'm leery about Kenmore (Sears) only because I (personally) would buy from a mom & pop type of appliance dealer.
    Where they'll stand behind their products and get you service quicker unlike the big stores where you can wait a week or so before you see a service repair person.
    A mom & pop store want to make you happy and satisfied, it's their livelihood on the line.

Here is a link that might be useful: TripLite Direct Plug-In Isobar Surge Protector

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

If you want a washer like the old school top loaders. Get a Speed Queen. Got one. Works great. Best warranty in the business. Over a year trouble free now, thank the Lord.