Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitersox

miele 48xx series discontinued, what to do?

whitersox
11 years ago

have to say first how grateful i am for this forum. i have just decided on a miele washer/dryer after reading your many helpful posts. i have been doing other research as well, trying to decide which model will be right for me. i decided on the 4842 but according to the miele rep i emailed, the entire 48xx series, washers and dryers, is being discontinued. the 3xxx series will be continued, however....the european (smaller) capacity models.

i do have an opportunity to buy the 4800 washer/dryer from an appliance store that was used only as floor models. no water has ever been in the machine. it is a somewhat reduced price and includes the pedestals, which i wasn't intending to get but could certainly use, if the pedestals don't make vibration/noise worse. noise is an issue because the house is very small, maybe 1100 sq ft. so my questions to you are what am i losing or gaining getting the 4800 model? i think has a couple less load options and was last built around 2008? and... what has been your experience with the pedestals? do the pedestals help or hinder vibration/noise? it will be installed on second floor with 3/4 '' plywood, tile backing and porcelain tile bringing the foundation thickness to about 1 1/2'' . if i had to buy the 3033 model, i could live with that. i just wanted the larger capacity to clean the comforter. what do you suggest?

Comments (9)

• panzer1
    11 years ago

I actually posted about the same thing a few days ago (here its called the intelliq200 though). I am building and don't have room to store them right now or I would snap them up!

I'm hoping to hear suggestions on other options. I really need the extra size, I have a large family and need the capacity!

Sorry I don't have any experience with the pedestals, but I share your pain in this decision! I'm hoping that maybe a floor model will be still around next year, but I'm not holding my breath!

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

it will be installed on second floor

Miele does not recommend this washer be placed on a second floor. The washer alone weights close to 300 pounds. i do have an opportunity to buy the 4800 washer/dryer from an appliance store that was used only as floor models. no water has ever been in the machine.

We own the W 4840 and like it, but you will have to get the firmware updates to bring this unit current; the digital readout window is an asset over the plain paneled model. The only means of receiving these firmware updates is through a visit from a Miele Tech where they connect a laptop -- with proprietary software -- to the washer (the dryer is the same way) to upload the newest firmware. Purchase the newer W 4842. Why? Different door glass porthole shape to push clothes into the drum; different latching mechanism; different wash cycle programming on the control panel.

I would not purchase any of the T 98XX series other than the T 982X models.

Pedestals are a personal preference. You lose the folding space atop the units when on pedestals (unless, you are very tall), but loading and unloading the units is easier. Miele's pedestals for these units can be bolted together to add rigidity and there is an optional Miele kit to bolt the feet directly to your flooring.

• kfpwvt
    11 years ago

I faced a similar issue and choose not to go with the 4840 (at a pretty good clearance price) as it seemed most people thought the next step was an important upgrade but I did manage to get a 4842 which is stored in my garage now while we finish the new Landry room. When I ordered mine I was told there were 50 left in the country. That was 6 weeks ago. But I heard others say their dealer couldn't order the day they discontinued them.

I considered going with Electrolux but the door cannot be left open a crack. It is either closed or open 90 degrees. When I saw that I grabbed a Miele..

However, I'm my old house I had the smaller euro sized miele machines installed under counter. They were great and I did handle laundry for 4 in the small size. If you sort properly the size is usually fine. The issue was after vacations with tons to wash had to do an extra load or two but week to week ir was finel. You can stuff them fairly fill.

• whitersox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fahrenheit, thanks for the note.

''Purchase the newer W 4842. Why? Different door glass porthole shape to push clothes into the drum; different latching mechanism; different wash cycle programming on the control panel.''

ok. so you are suggesting i don't get the 4800 because it is the older model...actually i think the first in the large capacity models and i read it had some issues. i like your ideas for purchasing the w 4842; that is what i intended to do, but the entire series (4842, 4802 and matching dryers) has been discontinued. i may be able to find a washer, but i have been told there are no dryers available anywhere to match. any other ideas?

i am not familiar with the T98xx series, so will check that out. i didn't see it on the miele website.

about the 2nd floor install.... i emailed miele and this is the first response i received:

''The W4800 did have issues with the door lock. If the machines are not sitting on concrete the floor should be reinforced by nailing a 1/2" sheet of plywood where the units are to be set. "

i described the floor's construction and received the message below this morning:

"Your floor sounds very substantial and should be sufficient. "

not sure what to think about that? i am feeling a bit frustrated because i FINALLY made a decision only to have it derailed by the company's decision to discontinue the line. maybe i just get the smaller 3033???????????

• whitersox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

postvt, what are you doing for a dryer? i was told there are none available in that series. i am not such a matchy person, but i think getting the same size would make things roll in the laundry room more smoothly.

• kfpwvt
    11 years ago

I managed to get the matching dryer too -- the T4802 I think? I cannot remember the model right now but it was the last one they made to match the set. I got both and pedestals. Luckily I saw on this forum that they were being discontinued right when I was choosing them (and the day that happened) --- so I was able to jump on it fairly quickly. I'm not sure how big the improvements were from the dryer before that -- I did have a store that offered me the 4840 and the older dryer set -- you could probably find that one somewhere.

As I said before I did find my smaller Miele's were fine in my old house. I mistakenly thought the new small ones were smaller than my old which is why I ruled them out -- but then I learned that there was some change in how they are measured? -- that it actually the same size.

Otherwise it was the Electrolux, Duets, or just keeping what I had for a while longer.

Good luck.

• Northlut
    11 years ago

The same thing happened to us, we were poised to by the Miele 48xx when they were discontinued. FWIW we decided to go with the Electrolux Wave Touch models, and have been very happy with them so far.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

I believe Electrolux WaveTouch is a great alternative to the Miele.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

whitersox,
    about the 2nd floor install.... i emailed miele and this is the first response i received:

''The W4800 did have issues with the door lock. If the machines are not sitting on concrete the floor should be reinforced by nailing a 1/2" sheet of plywood where the units are to be set. "

i described the floor's construction and received the message below this morning:

"Your floor sounds very substantial and should be sufficient. "

Interesting two of three different Miele techs I've dealt with both said a concrete floor, first-level/concrete floor is the route to go; the third tech I never asked. The reason for this that the washer uses mass versus other technology to dampen vibration, hence, the near 300 pound washer weight. If you have engineered specifically the laundry area on your second-floor and this is new construction or renovation with upgraded engineering specs, then the given engineering will make a difference. You can read all through this forum about the issues with second-floor installations. I'm a bit surprised that Miele would give you an "okay" without any knowledge of the as-builts as they pertain your residence.

Regarding the NOS (new, old stock) of the Miele W 4800, you can get them fixed should there be issues. Miele has a kit for the door latch and updated firmware can be easily installed--through a Miele Tech. This should be under warranty if these issues arise.