Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studio460_gw

Huh? The 3/8" gas flexline won't thread onto new Kenmore dryer?

studio460
10 years ago

We just replaced our six-year-old LG gas dryer with a new Kenmore 7.1 CF gas dryer (which is also built by LG, and is nearly identical to the current LG DLG2251W, linked below).

In fact, our old LG dryer is pretty much identical to our new Kenmore--all rear hookups are in the exact same locations. However, when attempting to attach the previous gas flexline (I was planning to buy a new flexline once the laundry room was finished), the female 3/8th fitting simply won't "catch" the threads of the new dryer's male 3/8 gas inlet. No matter how parallel I keep the flexline's nut aligned to the LG's male gas inlet, it just won't "thread." I have good access, and I'm using a Crescent adjustable wrench.

I inspected the threads on the flexline, and none appear damaged. I suspect that the gas inlet fitting on the new dryer is either malformed or miss-threaded, but I can't tell visually. All modern natural gas dryer inlets are 3/8" right? It's definitely not an LP inlet (which are only 1/4" and only installed as an option). Any other ideas as to what's wrong?

Kemore 7.1 CF gas dryer model 91172:

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-7.1-cu-ft-gas-dryer-w-sensor/p-02691172000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Nearly identical to:

LG 7.1 gas dryer model DLG2251W:
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DLG2251W.html

[a user manual PDF is linked on this page]

This post was edited by studio460 on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 20:13

Comments (7)

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I'm going to try the most obvious solution--I'm going to buy a new flexline after work, and see if that "fixes" anything (even though the threads on the existing flexline appear undamaged). I'm just afraid the cheap cast inlet on the Kenmore dryer is at fault.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

I've run into such a situation with an old-style open-flame gas space heater. I needed to replace the flexline and the new 3/8" line wouldn't fit. A plumber advised there are two kinds of 3/8" fittings -- old-style or light-duty (IIRC), and new-style -- and plumbers are no longer allowed to sell the old style per updated code. Perhaps your existing flexline is the old style and the LG dryer has an appropriate fitting to match, and the new dryer is new style.

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I wouldn't think a six-year-old LG dryer was old enough to be using the "old style?" Running off to Home Depot before they close . . .

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I figured it out. There are at least two types of 3/8" connections: flared, and non-flared. If the thing you're connecting to is shaped like a small funnel, then it's a flared connection. If it's shaped like a regular straight pipe, then it's non-flared.

The gas nipple on our new Kenmore (LG) dryer is non-flared, so a flared female nut won't screw onto it, even though it looks like the same size. I don't remember what our old LG's nipple was. Back to Home Depot tomorrow . . .

• fordtech
    10 years ago

Every new dryer I have purchased only had the steel inlet pipe coming out of the dryer and you have to purchase the nipple for the new flex pipe to attach. If you purchase an installation "kit" at Home Depot last I checked it was about 20 bucks and includes nipples for the dryer and the pipe from the gas source and the flex pipe all in one bag. It recommended to always replace the flex pipe when installing a new appliance.
    Also be sure to use pipe dope on the nipple to the steel pipes to ensure it is sealed. The flex pipe will seal itself to the brass flared ends.

This post was edited by fordtech on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:17

• fordtech
    5 years ago

It sure is nice to have the internet to click on to find answers these days. We all help and save together.