Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcoop_gw

Please tell me about the Fisher Paykel Aqua Smart washers

rcoop
9 years ago

I am looking at a WL4227P1 HE top Loader and do not see many posts, reviews or anything in regards to this washer. Consumer reports does have a quick review with a poor rating (but I do not really go by them much).

Does anyone have one or is there a reason this washing machine is never mentioned?

I always see posts about the GW washers in their line, but I am assuming this is a totally different type of washing machine and I cannot base my decision on what to buy on those reviews.

Comments (2)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

The current three F&P models are a very recent revision of the product line so you're not yet going to find any user reviews on them.

That being said, there's not a lot of difference between the new models and the previous AquaSmart units ... larger capacity, slightly faster spin, different design of the control panel, lid and outer cabinet. From what I've read about the redesign factors, F&P is positioning them as a premium product in the marketplace.

AquaSmart is, of course, an HE impeller-type toploader. The original Kenmore Oasis (produced for Sears by Whirlpool) introduced approx 10 years ago and Whirlpool's Cabrio that followed shortly after were both based on F&P mechanicals. F&P's AquaSmart is a sibling to the Oasis and Cabrio.

Whirlpool still uses the F&P-type mechanicals for the upper-end Cabrio and Maytag Bravos models. Mid- and lower-end Cabrio and Bravos units are now a different mechanical design.

Previous AquaSmart models were slightly smaller capacity than Oasis/Cabrio/Bravos. The new models are rated for 22lb loads, which I'm sure is based on a specific laboratory/testing load configuration and not likely to be quite reasonable in real-world use ... but still is a very large capacity for comparison.

AquaSmart machines do not have on-board water heaters. Top-of-the-line Cabrio and Bravos models do have water heating.

AquaSmart has a "traditional" or deep-fill wash function (High Efficiency = Off) that is the optional on some cycles.

In either case, the wash starts with the machine filling with enough water at the selected temperature to saturate the clothes and dissolve the detergent. The concentrated solution is then pumped/showered over the load for several minutes as a pretreatment.

High Efficiency mode follows the pretreatment by filling with enough *cold* water to lift the clothes off the impeller so they can roll over each other, resulting in a wash similar to a frontloader.

Non-High Efficiency mode follows the pretreatment by filling with *cold* water to a higher level to submerge the load similarly to a conventional washer.

Note that per the User Guide (available online at F&P's web site), a full-fill HOT wash can be had by selecting the Allergy or Sheets cycle and Hot wash temperature.

• rcoop
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dadoes for explaining this to me.

Do you think the AquaSmart models are more reliable or clean better than the higher end Maytag Bravos? My local dealer can repair either and likes both.