Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laundry Closet Ideas

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 19:39

We are renovating a 100 years old house, and in the middle of the kitchen right now.

Next will be the laundry closet off the kitchen. It will be 5' wide a little over 3' deep. The ceiling will only be about 7' high since we ran some plumbing and heating to the floor above there. There will be bi-fold doors.

I plan on some shelves above the washer/dryer, and am trying to think up some other storage ideas.

1. Would you center the washer and dryer, or put them to the side to have some space for brooms/mops.

2. I like to hang my clothes as I take them out of the dryer. Where would be good place to put a pole? Across the opening (but behind the doors). Is there such a thing as a long hook that could be folded back?

Anybody have any tips? Would love to see some pictures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laundry Closet Ideas

I'm dreaming of this clothes hanging thing for my laundry room.

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry lift

o

Do you have the washer and dryer side by side, or is it a stacked set or all one unit?

Do you know how much room you will have to play with?

With my washer and dryer side by side, and the niche just 62", there isn't much room left over. I don't have them centered and have room to put a folded step stool on one side.

o

Our washer & dryer share a "closet" about 8'+ wide inside with the hot water heater; it has bifold louvred doors. We were thinking about a closet pole, but the space was too wide. We ended up with a truly cheap alternative from a marine hardware store: two four inch cleats screwed into the wall at the studs with a line between them. We secured the line as one would tie up a boat. If the line stretches, we can adjust it. The total cost was a whopping $5. Woo hoo!

o

We converted a closet into a second floor laundry area. We put the w/d to one side, stacked, and have a shelf above and cubbies along the side.
The smaller shelves aren't as deep as the w/d. On the wall in front of the shelves they put in a stainless arm that swivels up and locks. It has slots for hangers. When you don't need it it folds down. We had the closet done by a professional closet designer since we were doing a whole master bathroom/closet/laundry project, but the concept is simple enough to do yourself. Leave some space for laundry baskets too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here