Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwscook

Question re: stacking w/d in cabinet

kwscook
11 years ago

We're relocating our washer/dryer to the kitchen (getting rid of our laundry room entirely - such a waste of space in our house!), and are having a cabinet built around it. I'm totally confused with the installation, and hope someone can help.

The cabinet maker would like to install the cabinet before the w/d are installed. That makes sense to me, so he can properly affix the cabinet to the walls and floor. BUT, we are using a telescoping vent so we can have as little space as possible between the wall and w/d units. With that, I'm confused how the appliance installers will be able to hook them up if there is a cabinet on both sides, thus restricting access.

And thoughts or experiences? I'm so confused!

Comments (5)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I had to look up telescoping vent/duct but after saw one and read comments I get it. Sorry though, no experience here with use of one.

I just bought a new W/D and would suggest you download the .pdf on the unit(s) you're buying and read them and mock up measurements for your space and cabinet surround. Some dryers have "punch out" holes for venting on right and left in addition to rear. In addition to proper venting reasons to avoid fire hazard as well as honor warranty you do need enough inches laterally for the installation crew to do it's work. Giving them a call ahead to review might be very helpful. Good luck.

• kwscook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the insight. We already have our w/d - we bought them last November and have had them side by side. It is the LG front loaders, and we'll be stacking. The cabinet is being built to accommodate them perfectly. I've looked at the installation specs and we could vent to the side, but we don't have the space to accommodate that in our renovation, since we'd need extra width for the cabinet.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Stacked washer/dryer sets installed in closets or recessed areas are a huge pain for servicers, and consumers who have them will pay higher charges accordingly. The machines have to be pulled out for service access, the dryer taken down from its perch atop the washer. Plumbing and vent connections are difficult and present a problem for the consumer's access to shut off the washer's water valves when a flood or leak occurs, unless a side or rear access panel is included in the closet or cabinet design.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I'm going to assume the dryer is electric and not gas.

I have my pair stacked. In order to be able to pull them out from the wall I picked up a set of appliance roller thingies (meant for a refrigerator) to hold the set. It adds about 2" to the height.

I think the LG pair requires some room to both sides, like an inch.Check the manual, though having room makes insertion easier.

I also assume you are venting out the back, or the top. I have a periscope vent and the vent goes out the top of the room. You attach the periscope to the back of the dryer before it is pushed into the cabinet. If you are venting out the back, then you line up the periscope before pushing back and hope that you make it the first time.

Have your electrician install the dryer outlet up with the washer outlet, say 36" off the floor. Else you will have to get an extra long cord.

Not sure where you're going to put the plumbing. I've seen some who put it under the counter next to the machine and have a cutout where they can reach in and turn off the water if necessary. There are valve assemblies that allow you to turn off both the hot and cold with a single lever. The cutout is covered with countertop material.

• kwscook
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

I ended up getting hold of our cabinet maker, and we are going to make a large opening in the side so that the water and vents can be accessed, for both installation and once they are installed. That will be covered up by the refrigerator which is going next to it. I feel a lot better now.

The water is going to be recessed in the wall behind the units - the cutout will allow access to that.

Our electrician came out today to rough in the materials, and is returning on Friday. I'll be sure to have him install the outlet up higher. Thanks for that tip!

And yes, we are venting out the back, which then goes down into our basement, then out the side wall. The plumber did not seem to think there was any issue with how this would all be set up / located.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living