Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing the right front load washer

Posted by greymcracker (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 18:24

I have finally decided to purchase a front load washer. I am especially interested in a Whirlpool Duet or LG. I need some feedback on pros and cons of both of these brands. This is new to me because I currently have a top load washer now with an agitator. I have researched Consumer Reports and find the search very confusing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing the right front load washer

Well, I can speak on LG....

We got a LG 2077 washer and matching dryer at the end of 2004 and it lasted until this April when a flood in our basement took the dryer out. Since it was city sewer water that flooded our basement with 3.5 ft of water, we replaced them both since neither my wife or I would think our clothes would have gotten "clean" again. In those 6 years the machines worked great and probably would work today if it were not for the flood.

Cleaning performance was great and we really liked the machines. We replaced them with a matching Kenmore set which is made by LG. We got the 4044 washer with steam and the matching gas dryer. They also work well.

I think the most important thing is to get a machine with a heater. If it has a Sanitary cycle it has a heater.

Hope this helps!

o

Before I got my Frigidaire FL, I did some research. The LG's got much better reviews than the Whirlpools. I would have gone LG but they were out of my price range at them time so I got the Frigidaire. Next one I get will be an LG. I just haven't decided if I want the HE top loader or the FL.

o

We upgraded from Whirlpool Duet Sport to LG WM2301 last year and I couldn't be happier. Mind you, the Duets we had were the smaller, simpler version of Duets, so I'm not sure how they would compare to the full size set with all the features. But my new LG washes a lot better, does not vibrate as much and, most importantly, has a heater that heats up the wash water in Hot and Extra Hot cycles. Whatever you decide, do what itguy08 says: get a washer with a heater.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here