Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloudy_christine

Repair or replace: Maytag A712 timer?

cloudy_christine
13 years ago

Hello. I've been reading here because I planned to buy a new washer to replace the currently dead Maytag A712, but now am having second thoughts. I do not love the Maytag at all; it's been shredding things with the slit-fin agitator since I bought it, I think 10 or 12 years ago. The problem: the tub filled, and apparently the cycle advanced, since it the pointer ended up at the end of the cycle after the one I set it to, but nothing happened -- no agitation and no draining. It was ticking but doing nothing. My husband somehow got it to drain (I couldn't).

Is the problem likely with the timer only, or the timer motor too? With labor costs, does it make sense to fix it?

The reasons we may want to: we'd have to move a lot of stuff in the cellar to get a new one delivered, and, not having lovely expensive new things may be a good idea since we have some plans to fix up the cellar. The thought of moving the fancy front-loader we would get is kind of daunting. Seemed clear that we shouldn't put money into the old machine, but maybe....

Comments (3)