Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inessa_gw

fl error code on calypso washer-need help!!

inessa
17 years ago

An FL error code keeps flashing on my Calypso Washing Machine. I can't do laundry. Could someone please tell me what I need to do to remedy this problem? I have 3 kids and laundry will be piling up fast... Any advise you can give is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Vanessa

Comments (10)

• bob_k
    17 years ago

I found this. don't know if it will help or not.

Good Luck
    Bob

FL = Flood condition

FL flashes if any overfill condition occurs. This condition occurs when excessive water in the tub causes the overfill switch to trip. The control must realize that the trip was due to an overfill condition instead of a suds lack condition in order for FL to be displayed

With an overfill condition, the beeper repeats a warning every 10 seconds with no time-out. The pump is cycled in drain mode for 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off until the overfill switch resets or power is discontinued to the unit.

Press STOP/CANCEL to clear the display.

• mutta
    17 years ago

You need to call Sears Lemon number(look on the back of the booklet for the washer). You must know there is a class action law suit against Sears on this unit??? You will have nothing but trouble with this unit if you have not all ready. We have had Sears replace free the Calypso washer and dryer with the new Oasis units. Go for it!!

• cplusplus
    17 years ago

In case anyone else finds this thread from a search engine (like I did) after an FL error on a Kenmore Calypso - I managed to fix the problem. It was a fairly easy repair. The pump assembly that drains the machine is a poorly designed two piece unit with a gear that easily strips out. The good news is that the pump has been redesigned, and can be swapped out in under an hour.

To see if yours has the same problem, tip the washer on its back, pull off the bottom panel, and find the horseshoe shaped piece with two hoses coming out of it. If your Calypso was like mine, it should be really easy to pull that piece off the motor. It's held on by a couple small clips (the new design pump is *not* held together with flimsy little clips). Look at the white piece that fits on to the motor's gear. That little white gear landing was totally stripped on my washing machine.

The pump part number of the pump is 8054954. I found a new pump at www.partselect.com. Here's a direct link:
    http://www.partselect.com/PartSearchResult.aspx?PartNum=8054954

It's really easy to change the motor and pump out, so give it a shot. It's only $100, which is a lot cheaper than a new washer (and partselect.com is even cheaper than Sears, which wanted $120 for the new pump... and another ~$100 to send someone out to install it!!).

Good luck!

• charlyinfl
    17 years ago

My husband recently replaced the pump on our daughters 6 year old Calypso. She complained that it was flashing codes too. Like the previous message states, it is an easy repair. He also cleared some lint and a bra underwire from a hose as well.

Other than that repair, her machine chugs along fine for her family of 5.

C

• dadoes
    17 years ago

See, there ARE Calypsos still running without a lot of ongoing trouble.

• fordtech
    17 years ago

Neptunes too..

• lbelle
    16 years ago

My 6 yr old Calypso is doing the same thing. Repair person coming tomorrow. So, for $250, is it worth saving? I have not had a problem in function other than the recent find that my gray whites and occasional streaks are not my bad laundering techniques. Is this issue worth fixing it for a while?

• dmary1235
    16 years ago

hi does anyone have the "lemon" telephone number for sears???????????nightmare with the kenmore oasis elite dryer....thanks!

• sven_williams_bellsouth_net
    16 years ago

I too have the older Calypso and the pump has died. I washed an old bath rug and the rubber backing came away in tiny bits and pieces. A bit of the rubber got jammed in the pump housing and seized the pump impeller.

Just to be fair to Whirlpool/Kenmore designers. The 2 piece design is actually very smart. The Motor to Pump gears are steel and plastic. To the layman, this seems dumb, but the design is to allow the plastic pump gear to strip on purpose in the event the pump becomes jammed. Since the pump is held on by clips and hose clamps, the pump unit can be replaced in about 5 minutes. The pump should be really cheap and easy to replace.

Now, the new design requires me to replace both the pump and the motor which cost a hell of a lot more the just the plastic pump. Improved performance through planned obsolesence.

Just my two cents.

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I have two Calypsos, both bought used. Per the serial numbers, one was built in early 2001, the other in late 2001. The late-2001 machine needed a lot of refurbishing, it had been, uhhh ... not used very intelligently by the previous owner ... and the u-joint seal had failed as well. The pump is still original, however. After clean-up and repair, it's working perfectly and I use it on a regular basis.

The early-2001 machine needed the motor controller board replaced (I found a used board). The pump and u-joint are still original. It needs some cosmetic refurbishing, but otherwise runs OK.

I imagine Whirlpool redesigned the pump in response to complaints from irate customers with stripped pumps due to jams from foreign debris like the above-mentioned incident, and also brassiere underwires, shoe laces, tie straps, and the like. The typical consumer doesn't understand appliance engineering.

Another example of this is the drive coupler on Whirlpool's direct-drive toploaders. The coupler is equivalent to a belt. In all the years during which Whirlpool's belt-drive toploaders were sold (including the MILLIONS of machines sold under the Kenmore brand), it was no big deal when someone's washer belt broke. An inconvenience, yes .. but hey, that happens, no big deal. Now when a direct-drive coupler breaks, the reaction is -- oh man, those machines are junk, throw it away.

Silly consumers.