Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Clay Stains - Help!

Posted by sds1234 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 17:16

Hello,
We just moved to Georgia, and the first thing my daughter did is to get red clay all over her favorite dress. It's purple cotton knit, and I washed it after pre-treating it with Charlie's Soap All Purpose cleaner. It didn't budge the stain (which surprised me b/c it has been very good on stains for me in the past). Is there a way to get these stains out?
Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Clay Stains - Help!

I wrote an answer to this last night, but it did not post for some reason.

I use 1/2 cup Biz with 1/2 to 1 cup of Tide with bleach in just enough hot water to dissolve the powders and cover the item. I soak for about 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes or so with a wooden spoon. Then I run the item through the washing machine mixing the solution in with the washer's water.

Good luck. BTW - I have always been of the mind that if the clothes soaked with red clay get ruined, then I can live with it since it was already ruined by the clay beforehand. I use this same solution on soiled baby clothes with great results. My son's baseball pants and shirts come out great most of the time.

o

I haven't tried this personally, but my sister-in-law swears that Resolve Carpet Cleaner gets red clay stains out of clothes. Her son plays baseball and she uses the Resolve on his uniform.

o

TKPP, STPP or TSP (phosphates) thrown in with your detergent of choice... you end up with super soft water and then the detergent can work.

o

To add a little humor.....

One person's junk is another one's treasure - LOL
http://www.dirtshirt.com/default.aspx?categoryID=1

Bet they don't need detergent here :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dirtshirt.com/default.aspx?categoryID=1

o

The red in the clay is iron deposits, so try something for rust--starting with a little vinegar on an edge of the stain. Test the fabric first!

o

My brother has that shirt!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here