Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New home and new w/d question (venting)

Posted by tracey_b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 26, 10 at 17:13

Just curious.... is there a standard location for the dryer vent in both new appliances and new construction? I'm wondering how far off our vent is going to be so I can go ahead and buy a periscope vent kit (I need the dryer as close to the wall as possible because it was a big issue in our last house--it had to stick out too far).

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New home and new w/d question (venting)

If this is new construction you should be able to get your hook up fairly close. All the units are basically the same width, just because they have to fit through the door. Here's a link to a box that you might consider having installed. If you do pedestals that would dictate just how high you would install this particular vent.

Here is a link that might be useful: dryerbox vent

o

Thanks, housefairy. The wall vent is "boxed" in, so that will help. I'm just trying to figure out what length of periscope vent I need to buy. The dryer is at the store, and I haven't yet found a pic online that shows the back of it so I can compare its vent location to where it might be once in the laundry room (in relation to the wall vent). Thank goodness it vents straight out the wall to the outside, too.

o

Most standard US brands vent in the middle of the unit at the bottom. See if the mfg. has their manual on line or go and look at the dryer and take some measurements. Apparently they have already completed your dryer vent and didn't get it aligned with where the actual dryer would be placed? The box I mentioned, if installed at the correct place, would use a conventional hookup(flexible) and need only clearance for the electrical/gas connections. The hose sets in the box.

o

Oh no--the "box" is located where the dryer will go, but what are the chances that the actual vent will line up perfectly with the vent on the back of the dryer. My vent is straight out the wall, not up like in the picture of the box you linked to.

o

Unless you are specific, you won't find this different installation as spec by a builder. I thought you were still in the process of building. So in answer to your question, the only way to know is to do some measuring. You still have the issue of how to get behind it to hook it up.

Note with the periscope vents, I have one and I think they amplify the sound. I actually took some insulating foam tape and applied to mine. Note that my hookups are backwards so my units are reversed. So my periscope goes around the back of my washer. The noise is not bad, but it is louder than just the flexible hose. Sounds like you would have such a short run that you probably won't notice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here