Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyvine_gw

is this Miele a good deal?

rubyvine
12 years ago

I found a Miele Novotronic washer W1918 and dryer T1515 for $500. They are 10 years old, one owner and reported to be in good condition with no mold or major repairs. I am not familiar with these models and can't find too much info on the internet. I did read some specs from Miele that stated the washer was 11cf !?!? That can't be right. I have a family of 5 and I think the capicity may be too small (judging by the washer dimensions). The owner cant remember how big they are. Is anyone familiar with either of these models or does anyone have any thoughts about them.

I am replacing a 6mo Electrolux washer that is a piece of *&@# and since the company can't figure out how to fix it, they are buying it back. I am not sure if I should just bite the bullet and purchase a new set of Mieles, but after my Electrolux disaster I am nervous about spending big money on new ones.

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Comments (6)

• ludy-2009
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • covingtoncat
    12 years ago

I have a similar sized, but different model numbers, Miele set. I also have a family of 5. I used to have a very large Kenmore HE3 and a ginormous dyer. I still miss that dryer, sigh.

After some adjustments in the way I used to do laundry, I find the Mieles work well for us. What size are your bed linens? You will NOT be able to fit a King size comforter in there if it is very plush. Sheets, mattress covers, duvet covers, coverlets, not a problem (will require separate washings, obviously).

Sorting laundry and not overfilling is the key, especially for the dryer.

If the machines are in good shape and you have access to service repair, I would seriously consider the deal.

HTH

• rubyvine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ludy-thank you for the links. I had seen epinions, most reviews were written long ago but were helpful.

covingtoncat-Thank you for that very helpful info on your machines. Although my bed is only a queen, I am still unsure about the size of these machines. I am constantly stuffing snowpants, hats, jackets and gloves for three kids into my dryer during the winter months. Do you know if the newer machines are considerably bigger than yours. The "super large capacity" american machines are about 4cf I believe.

I must admit that I am not much of a laundry lover. I tend to wash in cold water and don't sort throught it much. Ok, I'll admit it, I wash colors and whites together. But i do wash sheets seperately :) I enjoy making a good mess, but am not so keen on cleaning it up!

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

I own Miele 1918 machines and have for more than 12 years. They are fantastic machines and if still in good condition will serve you well. I don't own a Miele dryer, though, so cannot comment on that.

As to size, these machines are the so-called smaller Euro-sized machines. To judge if they will hold your typical load a good test is to weigh the load. If it weighs 11 lbs or less it will fit in fine. For very large fluffy items such as comforters (especially down-filled pnes) I find that I can wash all weights of twin-sized ones; med and heavy weight full ones, medium queen sized ones but only very lightweight king-sized ones. The machine can be filled to the top of the drum, no need for extra space; it will work itself out during the wash phase.

As for queen-sized bedding, a typical load of that for me is a queen set, plus four cases, plus a double set and four cases plus some odd T-shirts or a men's dress shirt. My towels are quite thick and heavy so sometimes I sub out the full-sized set and cases for two heavy bath towels and cloths, plus bath mat and hand towels.

I regularly do 10 pairs of women's jeans in a load; or 8-10 towels of the medium thick sort I use for cat bedding; or 8 men's size large shirts and some other stuff. The key is both weight and volume, but operate on the axiom if it fits, it washes.

The washing machine will require 220V service, but IRRC the washer and dryer can be interconnected and so they need only one 220V outlet for the two. You will likely need a special socket for the unusual plug. Try to get it from the seller if you buy the machines. Otherwise I think you can get it at a Home Depot, or a big electrical supply store. Buy from Miele as a last resort because of expensive shipping/handling costs.

Be sure to get the little orange doohickey attached to the side of the detergent drawer. It is needed to open the pin trap. There is also a little detachable (easily lost) cup used for liquid detergent. Ask for the shipping rods and re-attach them before tiliting and moving the washing machine. Be sure also to get the drain hose and 2 water supply hoses. These are expensive parts to buy from Miele (@ $200) and cannot be substituted with generic stuff.

Now, as to machine performancance: This machine will make lovely, really hot water, so you may fnd that you do more hot washes, which is a good thing. Strictly doing only cold washes in these machines can lead to stinkiness. The delay start feature is a really useful thing. The wash cycles are quite long (this is default long-cycle model) mostly running 1 hr 45 min for normal cotton (There are shorter opt-in cycles.) There is no soak cycle. The machine can also be hitched up to take in cold water only if you'd rather not use your DHW for it. I wash everything from tents to antique lace to sneakers to silk and Carhartt overalls to cashmere twin sets in my 1918.

The price seems OK, but not a guilty steal - you could try to get a bit more off. I bought a Miele 1986 (next size larger washing machine) for $200 last spring off Craigs List. It needed substantial cleaning and de-stinking, however. I then paid Miele for the needed water supply hoses which the seller didn't have (or so he claimed), and a replacement drain hose (due to stink). I could probably have gotten away w/o replacing the drain hose.

I absolutely adore my 1918 machines, they are washing champs. I'd be glad to answer any other questions you have. Try the "weigh your laundry load" test.

HTH

L

• rubyvine
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the communication delay, we went away for vacation to the mountians. With no internet and only basic cable, I am surprised the kids made it ;)

Liriodendron- Thank you for that spectacular review. What a big help that was! My laundry weighed in at just over 13 lbs, I think I'm a stuffer! I have decided not to purchase this set and sit back and wait for a bit. I'll be checking Craigslist regularly now!
    Thanks again

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Just over 13 lbs would put you in the next size up category of these older machines: a Miele 1986. Slightly different cycle choices and a default shorter cycle set-up. With a built-in soak cycle which the 1918 doesn't offer.

I think if you get a good deal on a 1918, despite it being smaller than your typical load now, it would be worth considering as that is a small change to make. And may be very useful since these machines are capable of doing very precise, and different kinds of washing programs so it makes sorting to smaller loads more on point.

I found my machine after watching for awhile. Many people just don't take the trouble to "get" the significancant differences of these machines so they dump 'em pretty cheaply since they think they don't work well, Assuming the machine hasn't suffered damage, that is simply not true.

Good luck.

L