Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roorezzi

A few W/D questions while researching

roorezzi
10 years ago

Opinions on the following options. We are comparing the Samsung WF393BTPAWR and the Whirlpool Duet WFW70HEBW/or the equivalent Steam set.

Also I am not sure what some of the things mean while researching.

Options - answer yes/no if they are something that should be considered when researching
1. Bulk Cycle/Bedding Cycle
2. Pre Wash Setting
3. Built in Heater
4. Control Lock

What does this mean?
Programmable Wash Cycles?

On Consumer Reports site

Cycle Time - Our measurements of the time, rounded to the nearest 5 minutes, to complete the most aggressive normal cycle with our 8 lb load. (We do not use special cycle or option buttons.)

What exactly does this mean... for example the Samsung is 100 min and the Whirlpool is 45 mintues.

How often do people use the "Quick Wash" setting?

I will also include that I am a working mom (FT) and do laundry for myself and hubby, and our two kids (ages 4 and 1.5)

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Ruth

Comments (6)

• dadoes
    10 years ago

1. Bulk Cycle/Bedding Cycle
    2. Pre Wash Setting
    3. Built in Heater
    4. Control Lock

1. Bulky or Bedding Cycle = a designated cycle on the dial for large items such as comforters, bedspreads, or quilts. Some machines have it, others recommend using some other available cycle such as Delicate (which typically has similar action). A designated Bulky items cycle typically fills with more water to soak/submerge the large, absorbent item, has a different tumbling or agitation pattern, and a slower spin to reduce vibrations.
      2. Pre Wash Setting = a designated cycle, or an option that can be added to a cycle, for treating extra-dirty or stained items with a brief, usually cold-water wash preceding the regular wash period. Machines with the function typically have an extra detergent dispenser -- one for prewash, another for the main wash -- so the user can load both with detergent at the start and have it dispensed at the proper time.
      3. Built-in Heater = an electric water heater element incorporated into the machine's outer tub to heat the wash water to higher temps for a designated Sanitary cycle. Also may be used on a Whites or Heavy Duty or Stain Treat cycle. Highly desirable.
      4. Control Lock = a child safety feature that locks the control panel against use so toddlers / small children can't start the machine or change the settings once it is started. Activated/deactivated by pressing a specific button or button sequence on the panel.Cycle Time - Our measurements of the time, rounded to the nearest 5 minutes, to complete the most aggressive normal cycle with our 8 lb load. (We do not use special cycle or option buttons.)
      Cycle Time = they're citing the average cycle time from start to finish of the designated Regular or Normal cycle. Consumers typically use the Regular or Normal cycle majority of the time so it's the one used for comparison between machines. Most machines have three or more soil levels, which is akin to selecting the wash time to shorten or lengthen the cycle by a few minutes. Cycles other than Regular or Normal may be longer or shorter by nature due to different treatment and operational sequences. For example, a Whirlpool frontloader I used several months ago ran upwards of 2.5 hours on the Sanitary cycle with prewash and extra rinse selected. Consumers tend to be concerned about cycle time simply from habit and familiarity with old-style toploaders that used more water so didn't take as long to "treat" a load of laundry as do the low-water HE toploaders and frontloaders nowadays (less water = more time needed to expose and treat the load to the washing and rinsing process).How often do people use the "Quick Wash" setting?
      A designated Quick Wash cycle is intended for small, lightly-soiled loads and won't properly clean a large load or normal- or heavily-soiled/stained clothes.
  • kodiak13
    10 years ago

We use the quick wash probably 1-2x a week. Invariably some one forgets an item they need or we'll have one or two clothes that are mismatched be it color or material to go in with the main loads. Quick wash is perfect for these situations. I've had my youngest show up downstairs at 6 in the morning on a school day with his band shirt saying, "Can you wash this? I have to wear it today." Works perfect and we leave the house around 720am.

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK.. so I think I am interested in having the Bulk/Bedding setting and the pre-wash setting.

Looks like the Whirlpool one might be out then.

Ohhh.... What is Programmable Wash Cycles?

• roorezzi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK.. so I think I am interested in having the Bulk/Bedding setting and the pre-wash setting.

Looks like the Whirlpool one might be out then.

Ohhh.... What is Programmable Wash Cycles?

• georgect
    10 years ago

A "Programmable Wash Cycles" are ones your make and name yourself.

You tell it time length, wash temp, rinse count etc., then name the cycle like White Towels or Joe's Cycle.
    So next time you want that cycle you just go into your custom or programmed cycles and just choose from those you created.

• cj47
    10 years ago

One of the things I did while researching was to download the user manuals of the top contenders and read them. That way you can look up what each manufacturer has to say about their features. They're not all the same, and sometimes what you think about a feature isn't quite what the manufacturer built. Reading the manual can help avoid those surprises. For instance, in the Electrolux manual I downloaded for my washer, there is an explanation of what "Perfect Tumble" means, and also a chart that shows each cycle available and what options are available for it. That was very helpful for me when I was making my final choices between all the washers.

Cj