Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggross1

Bosch Nexxt 800 has NO COLD Rinse!

peggross1
15 years ago

If you are considering a Bosch Nexxt 800 washer, BE WARNED!

We've been renovating for almost a year and finally moved in last Saturday.

The GC screwed up my washer/dryer installation so I haven't been able to use them both until yesterday.

Today, bc of a "problem" I was having with my Nexxt 800 washer, I had a service tech here. My problem was that my COLD normal wash was finishing very warm. The retailer suggested that the plumber may have reversed the hot/cold plumbing, so I tried a HOT wash and still finished very warm.

The repair guy very nicely told me that the fact that the machine finished warm whether I selected a HOT or COLD cycle was normal! He verified that with a technician on teh phone, and confirmed that there was no way to override that feature!

He said ALL front loaders are now unable to have a cold water rinse! (He further suggested that the machine will not draw only cold or only hot for the wash cycle, but the Bosch tech confirmed the wash water temps listed in the manual, which are 60 F fir cold, 90 F for warm, 120 F for hot, 150 F for KidsCare, and 170 F for Sanitary.)

I'm pretty ticked off about this Bosch washer! First, the option that I SAW in Karl's in NJ, for a Rinse/Spin setting, is NOT on my model - they have discontinued that option (although I watched the service guy go through the steps to get it to drain and spin so he wouldn't have to wait for an entire cycle to run!)

But for a COLD wash to rinse in WARM water completely defeats the purpose of washing in cold water, for me! This is to prevent color runs, shrinkage, to follow clothing laundering instructions, etc.! How dare they discontinue that feature and not even let anyone know?

Before calling the service guy, I called Bosch to find out the rinse temps for the various wash cycles, since it is nowhere to be found in the manual that I read cover-to-cover. The woman on the phone said NOTHING about only rinsing in warm water! (although she did confirm that the info was not available for her to send to me.)

Are there any new model, front loader washers that still let you choose your rinse temp? And hopefully have a heater on board that will heat the water in all wash cycles to the correct temp (main reason I chose the Bosch), and has a rinse/spin only option?

If it will fit under the counter I had installed above my Bosch, I'd strongly consider a swap!

Comments (14)

• curiousshopper
    15 years ago

I think you have a plumbing problem, not a washer problem.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Most new FL's only have a cold water rinse.

I think your Water Hoses are reversed.

No matter what wash temperture you select, it will rinse in cold water (or hot if the hoses are reversed)

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

I'm thinking the other posters are right... my bosch ONLY does cold rinses with no way to override that... did the guy pull the machine out to double check the hoses in front of you???? These are very heavy machines and they don't like to move them unless forced to....

• peggross1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do think the hoses are reversed, based on feeling the hoses connected to the wall. (The repair guy didn't pull them out bc the plumber has to come back to put the hoses on right and then the machine will have to be leveled again.) But, the wash finishes warm whether it is a hot or cold wash cycle. Are you saying that the Hot wash finishes cold (which would be hot in my situation if hoses are reversed)?

If that is the case, why would the Bosch tech, who was on speakerphone working with the repair guy, have confirmed that the machine only rinses with warm water, with no way to override that feature?

Also, the whole reason for my service call was the warm finish in a cold cycle; he did not charge me for the call since there was determined to be nothing wrong with my washer.

plumby22, do you have a Nexxt 800 washer, and when did you purchase it?

Frankly, I'd love for my waasher to be able to rinse in cold and will post back after the hoses are reversed if this thread is completely incorrect.

• looser
    15 years ago

smarge,
    it is pretty obvious that your hoses are reversed. The previous posters are correct in stating that the Bosch, like most other FLs, always does cold rinses. Cold rinses are supposed to reduce wrinkling and of course they also save energy.

The temperature of the wash cycle doesn't matter, the rinse cycle will always draw cold water. When the hoses are reversed, the washer will draw only hot water for the rinse.
    With reversed hoses, a hot cycle should take a long time since the washer would fill with cold water and then heat it to the selected temperature using the internal heater.

Who knows why the Bosch tech confirmed that the washer uses warm water for the rinse. It's probably a call center somewhere and the people there are probably not trained well. Most of the time they are just citing the manual and are clueless when you have additional questions.

I think you"ll be completely happy with your Bosch once the hoses are correctly hooked up. I have the Bosch Nexxt 500 plus and like it a lot.
    Keep us posted.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

Why would a plumber be required to reconnect the water hoses? It's no more difficult than connecting or disconnecting a garden hose to an outdoor faucet.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Ditto what Looser said about the tech's training. I went round and round with the Thermador people about my oven's sensors that went off when I broiled with a heavy aluminum sizzle plate. Finally I got someone smart who told me to put it midway down in the oven and on the left side since the sensor was on the upper right. Never had the problem again. But that was after 2 service calls and countless calls to Thermador.

• nancy108
    15 years ago

just a thought on the reverse hose issue, I have the floodchek hoses recommended by the folks on this forum and they are color coded red(hot) and blue ( cold), the installers hopfully would not mix that up, probably too late to get them now but I called floodchek directly and the nice man in florida shipped them out pronto with two elbows as well only took two days. The guys who installed my washer said they loved them

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

Where do you live? Here in Phoenix there is no such thing as cold water out of a tap this time of year. Cold water from a tap is over 100 degrees, you can't take a cool shower, you can't wash your clothes in cold water. Even the water in the toilet is so warm that your behind will start to perspire if you sit on it long enough!

So if you live in a hot region it might not be your washer or plumbing at all, it is just the nature of your dwelling.

• peggross1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update - the Bosch Nexxt 800 heats the wash water on every cycle, including Cold and delicate cycles. Another repairman confirmed it, so I called customer service and they said yes, it is intentional. You can not do a heat-free, truly cold cycle with the Nexxt 800.

I have had my Nexxt 800 set since July 2008 and I hate the washer! The water temp issue aside, the machine randomly decides not to spin, so I am left with a sopping wet load and either have to re-run the load or run a "Refresh" cycle, which is a rinse/spin. The trouble with running a Refresh cycle is that it usually ends up sopping wet again. The best bet for resetting the issue is to run a full load again, but it isn't a sure-fix and I've had to run a load 3-4 times before it finally spins properly.

Repairmen are useless on this issue so far.

• mysteryclock
    15 years ago

I have a circa-2006(ish) Nexxt 500 series that doesn't seem to exhibit this non-cold-rinse option. Or more accurately, I've never pulled clothes from the tub and noticed them to be overly warm per-se. I do actually like the "heat all cycles" option for the WASH at least, because it pretty much guarantees the wash temps listed in the manual no matter how cold the inlet water is. I use Charlie's Soap so cold water isn't a huge problem but I like the idea of precise control, at least.

I think you mentioned in another thread that your 800 doesn't have a Spin-only option? My 500 does -- did they eliminate that at some point? That'd be pretty dumb if they did because... like you I've had some occasions where the washer never seems to make it to its "happy place" in terms of balancing the load for a high-speed spin, and everything ends up quite sopping wet. Usually this only happens when I'm washing one large thing (full-size quilt, for instance) and it just doesn't wrap around the drum enough to balance right. It'll sit there and try and try, but never get in the groove. Once in a blue moon it will do this on a "regular" load, but really not that often.

I've also seen the no-spin beep thing happen maybe once, and chocked that up to bad Karma since it hasn't happened since.

My only real annoyance other than the vibration during high-speed spin is that nowadays it seems to want to empty the softener compartment at the beginning of the wash. I use vinegar so again, not too much of a problem, but I've learned to wait until after it finishes filling the last time to add it. Since I still have an extended warranty I may get them out there to look at that and my (slightly) squeaky (but otherwise working) Nexxt dryer.

• mrb627
    15 years ago

Cold water is only heated if it drops below 60 degrees. If that is too warm for you, enable the "Quick Wash" mode and all heating is bypassed.

MRB

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

"Update - the Bosch Nexxt 800 heats the wash water on every cycle, including Cold and delicate cycles. Another repairman confirmed it, so I called customer service and they said yes, it is intentional. You can not do a heat-free, truly cold cycle with the Nexxt 800. "

This is correct. My LG does the same thing. Cold is 60F, which is pretty darned chilly to the touch, but not ice water. But that has nothing to do with rinse.

You could always reach behind and turn off the hot if you don't want to use it.

• jakvis
    15 years ago

The Bosch washers DO NOT heat the water in every cycle. The only cycle where the heater comes on is the WASH cycle.
    If you select cold wash and the water is colder than 60 degrees it will heat the water, in the wash cycle only, to try to maintain a water temp between 60-65 degrees. This is because detergent will not activate in temps lower than 60 degrees.
    Both rinse cycles are cold, tap temp, water and there is no heater activation during this time.
    Smarge your washers condition is classic of reversed hoses.
    I've been doing Bosch service work since 2000 and I'm so impressed with the product I have one myself. The heater service time information is in their cycle charts in the service manual.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio