Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastonetime

chosing a new electrolux or fridgdaire washer. need input!

fastonetime
11 years ago

Hi all. I am choosing a new washer. I am looking for input of people with iq touches. I am set on a blue iq, but only the 55 series may be available in blue. Now I know the 55 doesnt have the recirculating jet, owners of the 55 does it saturate the clothes enough without the jet? Do the clothes come clean? I also have a choice of a fridgidaire 4474 although not in blue and it has a recirculation jet. Controls, iq vs affinity. Id like to go with the simpler controls over the wave touch. I really love love the blue. Next would be the red hot red.

Comments (19)

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Why are you getting a new washer? Is the new one to replace the current one or is this one for another location? I thought you were very satisfied with the one you have?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This will be a replacement. Don't get me wrong I loved my wave touch but it started having issues and I chose a replacement. The boards kept taking other boards out and the boot was being eaten away with every wash. I haven't lost my faith in electrolux and neither should anyone else. Everyone has problems eventually and nothings every perfect. But I'm glad these issues arose early and that I was able to get a replacement. The reason I asked about the 55 series was, I was made aware that the turqouise I had was no longer avaliable nor the red. Only silver and white, so me I love color and the only real color avaliable was the blue in the 55 series. So after long thoughts I chose the 55 blue. I know I downgraded but I felt that the wave touch and I are not meant to be. Plus I like the easy controls on the iq touch better and I love the blue color of the 55 better than the turqouise I had! I asked if any of you with the 55 series if the washer cleans the clothes well. I know the 55 doesn't have an add more water option, so does that mean it uses enough water to not need more water? I know as the years went by the gov got more strict about water usages, so I'm guessing that the 55 uses as much or more than the 70 series therfore not having the add more water option am I correct? I didn't want the silver or white 70 series and there were no blues left in the 60 series or 70 series. I probably won't receive the new washer for two weeks. But I'm excited again!

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

I think the Affinity and the IQ are like essentially the some control board but the Lux has bottons vs. touch pads on the Frigidaire. The Affinity also has a extra water option. Certainly most bang for the buck. That said, I don't think the lack of a jet will give you poor results. There are videos on YouTube on cleanteamofny's channel. Jets are en vogue right now - Panasonic front loaders have five - but the passive waterfall type on my Duet absolutely fine, too.

Best of luck, Alex

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I broke down and ordered the 70 series silver sands instead. I really was set on the 55 series, but looking through the manual and specs I realized there was no stain treat option, no add more water option and the cycles were longer. I've come to expect very clean clothes with the 70 series, also the 55 series having no recirculating jet, I was left wondering if it would clean the same as the wave touch. Don't get me wrong the 55 probably cleans very well, I just got use to the wave touch results and it all came down to style or performance. I like the silver sands color and am looking into buying the matching dryer. Electrolux has been very helpful to me in this matter and Chris Polk has gone way out of his way for me. I've never been treated this well from any company and I thank Electrolux and I strongly encourage then never to change their amazing customer service. I'm a small voice of a billion or more consumers and Electrolux heard me when other companies never did.

• georgect
    11 years ago

@fastonetime...please let us know how you make out with the Electrolux.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

@fastonetime: I got the 70 in silver as well... i went from speedqueen to the wavetouch 70. I don't think i can convey my satisfaction in words... only thing i can say is it cleans as if it had magic. I am looking forward to my next load!

Report back with your impressions.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@jm my washer has not been delivered yet. The silver I have not seen in person. How does it look up close. Online the silver looks like a light silver. And yes. I love how the machine cleans. Everything always comes out perfect!

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

@fastonetime: its not super light silver its a bit darker silver almost like grey that has a metallic look to it.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I swear I've got the washer machine curse! I got the silver sands 70 series. Very beautiful. I did one wash and it started to leak. Come to find out its leaking at the spider. So I have requested a replacement because ill need a new tub and case. I am going with the 55 series in blue this time. I swear these last two wave touch have been hell. The appliance store says its gotta be how its being delivered. Or handled in the factory. I am giving this one more shot. I am ready to wash and be happy again. I know I'm taking a loss going from the wave touch to iq touch. But i have faith that this will all work out.

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

One of the biggest problems is the delivery personnel!
    1. When the truck arrive, keep in box.
    2. Once inside unpack and install pedestal.
    3. Remove shipping bolts and hookup hoses.
    4. Adjust feet's until all for corners are set firmly.
    5. Test machine/start up routine.
    6. Do a load of towels and spin on minimum or low to see which feet needs adjustment before locking legs.

Sorry to hear you had two lemons without sweetener and stepping down to the IQ may or may not make a big difference if problems is caused by shipping.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey cleanteam. how was the performance and the results after the wash cycle of the iq touch vs wave touch. Do they both clean about the same ?

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

They both clean the same, the IQ has one advantage over the Wavetouch and that you can do the tub clean at anytime while the Wavetouch will let you know after 50 loads. :-((

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

IQ before machine before switching to Wavetouch.

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

Nose Bleed Blood on towels.

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

Final results!

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

This IQ washer made me a believer that a front loader cleans better that a top loader.

On the left, a facial wash cloth wash washed in a top loader. On the right wash done in my front loader.
    Keep in mind that these was cloths was used on a regular basis using any brand liquid body wash soap that leaves a grey stain on the wash cloth and the IQ Touch took it out in one wash that the top loader left behind!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay thank you cleanteam. I really like all the photos! I know the wave touch has the saturating jet and the iq does not. But did the iq saturate the clothes fine ?

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

Yes fastonetime, they both saturate well except doing a king size comforter so prewash must be used when washing this item.
    This is the only item that takes a long time to get completely wet.

And you're welcome for the photo's!

• cleanteamofny
    11 years ago

BTW, I own the older 2009 Wavetouch without the peeing jets. :-))