Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! I need a new washer!

Posted by gharborwa (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:47

The control board on my 10 year only Maytag Neptune has just gone out. Estimate to fix is $400- 500. So, I'm thinking it might be time to get a new one. But I am so confused by the information I am getting. Every model seems to have such conflicting reviews. Anyone have suggestions for a really reliable, really good machine? I am pretty sure I want to stay with a front-loader. Any help is much appreciated...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! I need a new washer!

Economy = Frigidaire
Top of the Line = Electrolux

o

If you are looking in the ~ 4 cu ft sub $1200 class....

JD Power has Samsung #1 and LG #2

In the past customer service and finding parts in smaller cities and rural areas was a problem for the Koreans. Seems to have gotten better lately.

In its most recent test May 2013 the Maytag Maxima XL MHW7000AW is Consumer Report's top rated washer giving excellent results in 45 min cycle. Blurb in link

BTW 7-10 years is a normal lifespan for modern washers. So 10 years for your Maytag is pretty good. More reliability for front load washers will require European size ~ 2.5 cu ft and more than $1200.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

Thanks so much for the info. It looks like the Maytag Maxima and Whirlpool Duet are very closely rated. I think Costco sells the Duet. Do you think there is any difference in models they sell vs. the same machine bought from an appliance store?

o

"Do you think there is any difference in models they sell vs. the same machine bought from an appliance store?"

Yes ... if you hate them, you'll have a much easier time returning them to Costco. Otherwise, if it is the same model number, it is the same machine.

o

The Maytag is available from ABT for $1079.10 with free shipping. In link.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

thanks, Deeageaux. I have been looking at AJMadison also. Just trying to figure out if we can do the install and then...how do we unload our old, broken washer?

o

If you like your Neptune and the bearings are still quiet, you might check around and find the board you need and I would think you could install it yourself for a LOT less than the price quoted. Might be on ebay or check one of the parts places like repair clinic for a price.

o

I am not a "handy-man" type.

But I installed my own front load washer.

I think it is intuitive to disconnect the old washer and then you see how to connect the new one.

The most difficult part for me was to realize there were four bolts holding the drum in place that had to be removed from the back of the washer.

Or I could've opened the yellow pages(electronically of course) and paid a plumber/handy-man $69 to come and install. Best price is usually found on craigslist but there you don't see bonded licenses.

I have a local used appliance/repair shop. I sold him my old washer for $25 and he came and took it away.

Additionally, there are two guys in pick-ups that drive by on recycle pickup day and scavenge for metal.

My trash waste company has heavy things pickups twice a year where you just put on curb and they pickup. Also they allow me to call twice a year and schedule a pickup of heavy item without charge. Third time in one calendar year there is a charge.

o

Thanks again for your help. Does it seem weird to you that the Whirlpool Duet has really lousy reviews on the Costco website, but really high reveiws on other websites? I had narrowed my choice down to this one based on a lot of good reveiws, then found it at Costco. But the reviews there are really bad. And the model numbers aren't exactly the same...could they have a cheaper, less stable model?

o

I don't see the new model tested by CR as a close #2, Whirlpool Duet WFW88HEAW at Costco.com.

Did you find it at Costco.com? LInk it maybe?

o

They have a Duet at both the store and on-line, but it is not the same number as listed in CR. I just wonder how much of a difference there is in each of these models.

o

They make Duet models in at least three different factories in at least three different countries.

In the past it made a vast difference which one you bought.

They don't usually give Costco their best new stuff, they give Costco a volume discount on the stuff they need to move.

If you are going to follow CR's advice then FOLLOW CR'S ADVICE. And get the model they tested.

o

thanks again. I kinda figured that was the case....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here