Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gayl

Help! I need a new washer!

gayl
10 years ago

The control board on my 10 year only Maytag Neptune has just gone out. Estimate to fix is $400- 500. So, I'm thinking it might be time to get a new one. But I am so confused by the information I am getting. Every model seems to have such conflicting reviews. Anyone have suggestions for a really reliable, really good machine? I am pretty sure I want to stay with a front-loader. Any help is much appreciated...

Comments (13)

• georgect
    10 years ago

Economy = Frigidaire
    Top of the Line = Electrolux

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

If you are looking in the ~ 4 cu ft sub $1200 class....

JD Power has Samsung #1 and LG #2

In the past customer service and finding parts in smaller cities and rural areas was a problem for the Koreans. Seems to have gotten better lately.

In its most recent test May 2013 the Maytag Maxima XL MHW7000AW is Consumer Report's top rated washer giving excellent results in 45 min cycle. Blurb in link

BTW 7-10 years is a normal lifespan for modern washers. So 10 years for your Maytag is pretty good. More reliability for front load washers will require European size ~ 2.5 cu ft and more than $1200.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• gayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the info. It looks like the Maytag Maxima and Whirlpool Duet are very closely rated. I think Costco sells the Duet. Do you think there is any difference in models they sell vs. the same machine bought from an appliance store?

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"Do you think there is any difference in models they sell vs. the same machine bought from an appliance store?"

Yes ... if you hate them, you'll have a much easier time returning them to Costco. Otherwise, if it is the same model number, it is the same machine.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The Maytag is available from ABT for $1079.10 with free shipping. In link.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• gayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, Deeageaux. I have been looking at AJMadison also. Just trying to figure out if we can do the install and then...how do we unload our old, broken washer?

• sparky823
    10 years ago

If you like your Neptune and the bearings are still quiet, you might check around and find the board you need and I would think you could install it yourself for a LOT less than the price quoted. Might be on ebay or check one of the parts places like repair clinic for a price.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I am not a "handy-man" type.

But I installed my own front load washer.

I think it is intuitive to disconnect the old washer and then you see how to connect the new one.

The most difficult part for me was to realize there were four bolts holding the drum in place that had to be removed from the back of the washer.

Or I could've opened the yellow pages(electronically of course) and paid a plumber/handy-man $69 to come and install. Best price is usually found on craigslist but there you don't see bonded licenses.

I have a local used appliance/repair shop. I sold him my old washer for $25 and he came and took it away.

Additionally, there are two guys in pick-ups that drive by on recycle pickup day and scavenge for metal.

My trash waste company has heavy things pickups twice a year where you just put on curb and they pickup. Also they allow me to call twice a year and schedule a pickup of heavy item without charge. Third time in one calendar year there is a charge.

• gayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for your help. Does it seem weird to you that the Whirlpool Duet has really lousy reviews on the Costco website, but really high reveiws on other websites? I had narrowed my choice down to this one based on a lot of good reveiws, then found it at Costco. But the reviews there are really bad. And the model numbers aren't exactly the same...could they have a cheaper, less stable model?

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I don't see the new model tested by CR as a close #2, Whirlpool Duet WFW88HEAW at Costco.com.

Did you find it at Costco.com? LInk it maybe?

• gayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They have a Duet at both the store and on-line, but it is not the same number as listed in CR. I just wonder how much of a difference there is in each of these models.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

They make Duet models in at least three different factories in at least three different countries.

In the past it made a vast difference which one you bought.

They don't usually give Costco their best new stuff, they give Costco a volume discount on the stuff they need to move.

If you are going to follow CR's advice then FOLLOW CR'S ADVICE. And get the model they tested.

• gayl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks again. I kinda figured that was the case....