Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flurrying

Asko W6424 or Miele W1612

Flurrying
11 years ago

I have done a search and it seems the last time these machines were talked about and/or compared was back in 2010; so I am wondering if there are any new user comments or reviews?

It seems both machines are very similar in terms of its operations and features except the 120V (Miele) versus the 240V (Asko), the delayed start (Asko) versus the non-delayed start (Miele), and the rubber seal (Miele) versus the non-rubber seal (Asko).

I am also drawn to the reverse tumble feature on the matching Miele dryer. Does this feature work? I am tired of my sheets coming out balled and wrinkly, damp in some parts and dry on others. I have to constantly stop my dryer, pull out my sheets, give it a few flicks, and then put it back in in an effort to encourage even drying.

Am I missing anything else? Asko provides a 3 year warranty while Miele provides a 1 year warranty. Price wise the Miele is about $300 more after you factor in the stacking kit etc. (stacking kit comes included with Asko).

Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

The Asko will take you to 200F temps, the Miele will not. The Asko dryer will ball up your sheets - the "butterfly" drying they advertise is utter nonsense and does nothing to help this situation. I don't know if the Miele dryer will do the same, although the reverse tumble is supposed to help.

• asko_buyer
    11 years ago

I bought an earlier Asko model, the W6021. Overall I have liked the way the machine washes clothes and linens. But I have just called a repair tech to come fix it for the second time since I bought it 7.5 years ago. My wife and I do 8 to 12 loads on any given week, which I think is fairly heavy use. I have been considering getting a W6424 as a replacement if the repair estimate is too costly, especially since one of the better appliance retailers in town is selling them at a $500 discount this month. Mieles are definitely more expensive, and I'm not sure they are any better built.

The Asko is a 220V machine, not a 120V machine. Its power cord connects to an outlet in the dryer. As sshrivastava mentioned, this allows the heat to go up to 200F, which I understand is not possible with 120V machines. I also agree that the Asko "butterfly" drying system doesn't help with prevention of balled-up sheets, blankets, etc. I typically stop the dryer after 30 or 40 minutes, take out the sheets, blankets, etc., give them a shake, then put them back in and resume the drying cycle.

Good luck with making a decision.

• mrb627
    11 years ago

The W1612 will heat water to 95C.

MRB

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

mrb627 is correct, I apologize for the bad information. Generally, 120v front loaders cannot heat water to 95C (203F), but the Miele W1612 appears to be one of the exceptions.

• gracie1000
    9 years ago

Hi my problem is choosing the correct compact washer. I'm trying to decide between purchasing an Asko 6424 washing machine versus a Miele 1623 because of their compact size and fit into the space for my washer - can't be more than 37.5 inches height, 29 3/4 inches width.

The only issue is which one?

I heard that the Asko comes with 220v which only works with the comparable Asko dryer - that if I only purchase the washer alone it won't work at all in Canada, where the voltage is only 120v or if you say it will work in Canada with its 220v, the other issue is it won't heat water to 100F without hook up to its mate dryer.

Also, I was told by one retailer that Asko is recommended over Miele because Miele is hard to find parts for repair.

I was also told that the Asko model is superior because it doesn't have a rubber seal inside the washer as opposed to Miele which does come with the standard rubber seal. I'm worried about the rubber seal inside the Miele causing this odour as I found that my current Bosch front loader has a rubber seal which does cause an odour when used.

Last, capacity of the Miele is good coming in at 6K and I'm not sure what the capacity of the Asko is as it doesn't say what capacity on its website.

The price for both washers come in at the same price $1699.00 but Miele is offering a 200 dollar discount this month which means the 5 year warranty will be free because that is the cost of a five year warranty or 200 dollars. So as far as price goes, I would find today a 200 dollar saving by purchasing the Miele over the Asko. But is this worth it if the Asko is a better machine?

Any ideas which is the better washer. I am shipping to Canada BC

Thanks

• sslimss
    8 years ago

The Miele Novotronic W 1612 was installed by the developer in my apt. It was not used before. I have used it for 1 yr & 3.5 months and am quite frustrated using it. I have to baby-sit each wash. I almost always have a loosely packed full load. I use HE liquid detergent. A few times, there were too much suds even when I used the same amount of liquid detergent. With the same amount of detergent, different cycles may generate more suds. If I see too much suds on the last rinse, I must run a full wash+rinse cycle because there's no RINSE & SPIN cycle. Once I had to run the cycle 3 times before the suds were rinsed out! Hence, it uses a lot of water & electricity. I have to use a very small amount of detergent, run the wash, make sure that there is a very small amount of suds by adding detergent bit by bit as needed. Then I have to be there at the last rinse to make sure the clothes are rinsed well -- because even when there is no suds during the wash, it can be sudsy in the last rinse.

I definitely do NOT recommend this washer. It is too time-consuming & troublesome.

I suggest choosing a washer with RINSE & SPIN ONLY cycle.

• suburbanmd
    8 years ago

Have you tried an HE powder detergent? I've used powders exclusively since I got my Miele W4840 seven years ago, and have never had sudsing issues. I use only fragrance-free products, so my selection is limited. I used Sears detergent for a long time, and then switched to Seventh Generation and Biokleen free-and-clear powders.

Or it could be that you have very soft water, in which case someone in that situation could advise you.

• Joel H.
    8 years ago

Miele washers typically rinse very well. Select an extra rinse. If you still have suds in the final rinse, you are over dosing on your detergent. Miele's generally use a reduced amount of detergent. I have mechanically softened water, and I only use 2 TBS for a full load of average soil. I never use more than 3 TBS. I do not use HE detergents exclusively, and as long as I am adjusting my detergent measurements for every load, I do not have any issues with over sudsing or rinsing. With very soft water, you will have a few suds in the final rinse, no mater how many times you rinse. It is just something about the nature of softer water.

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

Sslimss, you are having the same problem I have with HE safe for all machines detergent. I can have very few to no suds in the wash but lots of suds in the rinse cycle. Tried Wisk HE safe for all machines, Era HE safe for all machines. Using to line one for most loads so I was not over dosing. I found Wisk HE with a big HE symbol on the front of the bottle and it is great. On some loads I get a lot of suds in the wash but it rinses out really good. Tide HE Turbo is good, too.

I have a Speed Queen 542 TL and had do multiple rinses. Had the same problem when I had Bosch FL.

• sslimss
    8 years ago

I'm using Tide. Filling to Line 1 on the cap was the time when I had to wash 3 times. Thanks suburbanmd & beaglenc for your recommendations, I'll try out a different detergent. I GUESS I don't have a soft water problem because after a second wash&rinse, there are no suds. For the Miele Novotronic W 1612, I have to select "no spin" before the wash in order to get an extra rinse & it's not available for all cycles either. That's why I suggested choosing a washer with RINSE & SPIN ONLY cycle when looking for a new machine.

• colle
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"sslimss

June 20, 2015

I'm using Tide. Filling to Line 1 on the cap was the time when I had to wash 3 times."

Line 1 is about 1/4 cup (ie. 60 ml), so it sounds like definitely overdosing.

Miele recommends using 1 TBSP (15ml) or less.

Keep in mind, the W1612 is only 5.5KG capacity too.