Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ixsis

Samsung WF328AAW won't balance

ixsis
14 years ago

We have had this machine for about 15 months and it just can't balance. It's not our first front loader so its not likely load size. We have bubble leveled the machine then tried to fine tune the load balancing for hours.

When we think is is set, the very next spin will just thump around for 10 or 15 minutes trying to balance. Right now a normal load takes about 33% longer than the cycle timer.

Repair has come out and replaced shocks and counter weights but neither have had any impact. The machine is installed on the ground floor on ceramic tile on a concrete slab so the base is solid - no pedestal. I'd like to keep the machine but I'm not happy with this balance issue. Any thoughts?

Comments (6)

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

Has it been this way from day one ?

• ixsis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pretty much. This is actually the second 328 we've had. The first had a pump problem the first month we had it. Sears (whom we bought them from) replaced it with our current one. Since then we have had Sears out three times (the first time because the balance was so far out it ripped the rubber seal around the front door) and twice we've had another Samsung authorized service dealer out.

The results are the same thing, not level, wrong load sizes etc. Once guy changed the shocks and counter weights but the problem remains.

Last guy that came out said its just the way front loaders work and that we are not 'loading' correctly. We've been using front loaders at home for nearly 10 years so I think we have our loads figured out. We even went so far as to do a load the way 'he' suggested while he was here and it wouldn't balance. Thats when we got the, "well that's just how front loaders work."

We're 900 bucks into this machine so I don't want to just replace it but its getting to the point where we just don't want to do laundry. There are times that drum moves around so much it literaly sounds like there is a bowling ball in there...

• washer_man
    14 years ago

Sounds suspiciously like the shock absorbers have been disconnected.

In a front loader there are springs that hold the wash tub, and there are seperate damping pistons that take energy out so that the wash tub settles down properly when it's unbalanced.

What can happen is these damping pistons can become disconnected if at any time the wash has been upside down. This doesn't normally happen, but when the washer is still in it's shipping box, installers that can't read the "This Side Up" sign, can easily flip the box over onto it's top, and once that's done you have to have a service tech open up the washer and reconnect the shock absorbers.

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

The original post says the shocks have been replaced.

Here's a idea, for what it's worth: Don't these machines (modern FL's in general) contain an accelerometer that the computer uses to judge how well the load is balanced? If it's working right, then the computer would detect an imbalance early, and would know to re-distribute the load before it tries again. But if something is wrong in the accelerometer circuit, the computer might conclude that the load is balanced and it's ok to spin. I can see one problem with this explanation, namely that if the computer were totally clueless, it would've destroyed the washer by now. But maybe there's a backup sensor that detects way-out-of-balance thumping. That sensor gets triggered, and then the computer is confused and tries to recover, but doesn't have enough info to keep it from thumping again.

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

Sometimes you just purchase a lemon. No way around it, it happens with automobiles, appliances, TV's everything. Don't know if you have an extended warranty but I would try to get a new machine. Having the repairman there as many times as you, it should qualify as a lemon. Call Samsung (or Sears) and explain you really want to stay with the Samsung name (or really want to stay a Sears customer) but that you can't keep this machine and are considering switching if they cannot get you a new machine. I don't know - that may or may not work but its worth a try.

I've had my 328s for over a month and it is wonderful. If I have a small load, it will wobble (slightly) for a min or two, but when it maxes out (1200 rpms) it does not move! I have it on wood subfloor with laminate on top - absolutely no issues with vibration. The ONLY time I even hear the machine is when its filling for a rinse cycle (this somehow makes more noise that filling for the wash ??) I am assuming its the sound the water makes going thru the dispenser.

Hope you get the problem resolved, nothing is worse than having an appliance that makes you miserable. been there done that(with a dishwasher)

• NorthernJulie
    9 years ago

I was searching for answers for our brand new Samsung FL washer that jumped around during the spin cycle, and I found this post. Later, on calling Sears, we discovered what the problem was...just for those who, like us, might not read installation instructions well, you might have missed that there are three shipping bolts in the back that need to be removed. If you don't remove them, the washer will hop across the floor.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs