Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help in redoing this laundry closet - pics posted

Posted by debelli (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 14:48

The old house we recently purchased, the laundry closet is in the eat in area of the kitchen. The washer and dryer sit opposite from each other. I'd like to utilize the floorspace better, if there's a better way to have them. I'd like them to face forward, together, but there's so much space to to the left and right of the doors, anything I would put there would be wasted space and I'm afraid that the vents/hoses/gas pipe wouldn't reach. I can't put them facing forward, due to the wall. I would like to put more shelves for storage all the way around and up.

Can anyone come up with any ideas? Does anyone have pictures of a similar layout and what you've done?

This closet measures 8ft wide (interior) x 32" deep. Dryer is gas and on left, washer on right - both units facing each other.

PLEASE NOTE: PICS TAKEN BEFORE PURCHASE, that's not my stuff and I can't wait to paint that wall!

Thanks for any help!

Bifolds - Laundry area
Photobucket
Laundry area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help in redoing this laundry closet - pics posted

Drains and vent pipe is an issue, as are the fuse boxes you can't block, and that's a nice arrangement in many ways.

You can easily triple the storage capacity of that area:

With shelving - go all the way to the ceiling with it. The top-most shelf can be deeper than the others if you size it to fit light-weight but large items, like packs of toilet tissue or stockpots.

1 - Install a shallow set of shelves (4 or 6") across the back of the closet, above the tallest adult's shoulder level. Hang a folding step stool below the shelves. Use as pantry

2 - Add shelves above the current sets, so you aren't stacking boxes like the previous owner. That's prime storage space for the things you don't use every day, like huge pots

3 - Find a roll-out cart that can hold at least two laundry baskets and store it between the appliances.

That should give you plenty of ideas.

o
RE: need help in redoing this laundry closet - pics posted

How do you feel about stacking a washer and dryer -- leaving one side completely open for shelves or even a closed cabinet. I'd try to find a place for hanging too.

You might be able to put the washer and dryer side by side facing the front, but it looks like you might lose space to the side and wind up with less usable space. It would be really hard to use that space -- or even to get anything that dropped down there out unless there is room to get through on the sides. You would also have to make sure you could run the cords and water lines far enough to reach and that your washer and dryer wouldn't block the electrical box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here