Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a TL Washer & Gas Dryer ASAP

Posted by flynnnj (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 14:45

I've read many great things about SQ on this forum but is there any other TL washer and left side or hamper style gas dryer worth considering?

There's just 32' depth in my laundry closet - it's just a regular closet with bi-fold doors- so I can't fit a FL - and it's time to replace my builder grade D from 1988. I've included a photo of the closet pre-painting - wow is my house a mess.

Appliance store recommended:
GE 3.9 W GTWN4250DWS for $499 and
GTDX400GDWS for $599
v SQ AW 542 at $750
SQ ADGD3 at $650

So $1100 v $1400

Yes, it's the money but it's also about cosmetics (as I'm typing it I realize how silly that sounds). Yes, they'll be in a closet - but I just painted it BM Anjou Pear and ... the SQ looks so yesterday - which I realize is what makes it loved by so many.

I really like the look of the LG and Samsung in the dark gray but have read mixed reviews on them and they are pretty hefty in price also.

Whenever the kids and grandkids come for the weekend - there's a lot of wash - otherwise, It's only the 2 of us

Please help me to refocus and make a good choice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a TL Washer & Gas Dryer ASAP

You do not want an LG toploader at all. They use cheap plastic basket hangers that break during the spin cycle. Google LG toploader explosion. Samsung washers have also gotten a pretty bad reputation lately for various problems. I know SQ looks "old school," but I think you will be glad you got them in the long run.

o

I just went through a search to replace our W&D. My husband is out of the counry on business so we haven't purchased it yet but we have decided on the SQ 542 and the 4GL (#?) dryer. Our W&D are in the basement so I don't care if it looks old fashioned although our current dryer is probably 36+ years old and came with the house so it might look more modern than that. I decided on SQ due to their build and reputation for reliability. As I read more about some of the other brands, there seemed to be more issues and repairs for the other brands that were earlier than expected and more expensive due to the electronics.

Hopefully there is someone that has GE that can tell you their experience.

o

SQ may look old fashion but it works. I have one and it is much better than a HE TL hands down. I had a LG wave force...turned out to be junk in less than two years

o

Thanks for all your input and advice. I decided to get the SQ AW542 washer and the ADGD3 gas dryer.

As I told my children when they were dating, "looks may fade; it's what's inside that counts."

Based on GW, I'm looking forward to a long relationship with my new SQ - coming on Monday.

THANKS EVERYONE :)

o

Congratulations! I love your reasoning! So true!! :). I've told the kids and female friends the same thing.

I hope you'll post back after you get to use it.

DH is on his way home today so hoping we can order ours next week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here