Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motleydog_gw

Is Dryer Important

motleydog
13 years ago

I have a set cost in mind to replace the washer and dryer. What are your thoughts on splurging on a Miele washer and then compensating on the cost by purchasing a less expensive brand for the dryer? Is there any reason to get a matched pair? Am I overlooking what the dry contributes to the cleanliness and long-term care of the clothes? Seems the dryer just drys; the important part is all in the washer.

Comments (3)

• miminga
    13 years ago

When I purchased my Electrolux set, only the washer was in stock. Since my dryer was still working fine, I used it for over a month with my new washer. The washer was so efficient that it cut my old dryer's time in half!

• caryscott
    13 years ago

I needed to stack so I had to go with a set. I opted for a pair where the washer was quite well liked but the dryer much less so. The dryer lived up to billing but I haven't found it to be a problem. Sets are rarely the best of both worlds so it sounds like your on the right track.

• cynic
    13 years ago

I always advise people to do just that. Some dryers have some unique features. For instance the Fisher & Paykel has the top load available. Some have a reverse tumbling feature. However, for the most part, they tumble clothes, heat air and circulate the air on vented dryers. Not much to it really. They're all about the same energy-wise (none are energy star) and there's a few bells and whistles. Most dryers now have a moisture sensor and some people are sold on them but I'm not. I don't see that they really save much if anything if you know how to use the dryer, contrary to what the salesfolks say. I don't need five different temperature settings. I've used a total of three I think since I got this one, normally use only one, high. I want to dry the clothes.

I have a Whirlpool Gold 7.4 cf capacity. Interestingly it's a larger capacity than what comes on the Oasis/Cabrio/Bravos models! (To say nothing of a Miele or others.) Yet it's far cheaper and I don't know of anything the "matched" dryer does that mine doesn't. I have way more features than I need and these units run about $300-$500. There are a couple dryers out there with larger capacity, Electrolux is 8cf IIRC, and I think LG might have a large one similar to that available too.

I am a firm believer in getting as large a capacity dryer as you can. It helps reduce wrinkling and dries faster. Often the larger capacity dryers seem to cost less too!

Shop the clearance areas too. Scratch and dent places are good too. For that matter, even check Freecycle, Craigslist and the like. You can often pick up a dryer for free. A lot of people replace perfectly fine appliances just so they match.