Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Sodium Percarb Bleach Clothes...

Posted by chefwong (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:27

Noticed some streaking on a pair of beige chinos...2 to 3 streaks.

It was my understanding that Sodium Precarb is Oxygen Bleach....but it should be safe on any colors.

Anyone care to shed some light on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Sodium Percarb Bleach Clothes...

chefwong: "It was my understanding that Sodium Precarb is Oxygen Bleach....but it should be safe on any colors."

When dissolved in water, sodium percarbonate forms hydrogen peroxide, the same stuff as the 3% solution that you purchase in brown bottles at the drugstore. Hydrogen peroxide is a bleach. Brunettes use it to change (temporarily) to blondes. If you pour or spill some of the hydrogen peroxide from the brown bottle on a colored garment, you are likely to get streaks.

Whether sodium percarbonate is "safe" on colors is a matter of semantics. It is a bleach, and dyes fade when exposed to bleach. It is a gentler bleach at usual levels of concentration than chlorine bleach is, so you may be able to run colored items through several loads of laundry before the fading becomes noticable. In that sense, it is "safe."

o

What @herring_maven said.

o

I have to totally disagree with the above statement... Hydrogen Peroxide is not what brunette's use to bleach their hair. Peroxide from the beauty supply is a totally different product. The only stain remover I use is a mixture of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide (in the brown bottle) and1/2 of regular strength Dawn dishwashing liquid. This is all I have used for 3 years and have not found a stain it will not take out. I use it on every color of clothing and have never had it bleach, streak or lighten any color.

o

dbfirewife: "I have to totally disagree with the above statement... Hydrogen Peroxide is not what brunette's use to bleach their hair. Peroxide from the beauty supply is a totally different product.

I read it on the Internet, so it MUST be true Department

"Chlorine is the basis for the most commonly used bleaches . . . Oxidizing bleaching agents that do not contain chlorine most often are based on peroxides, such as hydrogen peroxide, sodium percarbonate and sodium perborate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach

"Diluted H2O2 (between 3% and 8%) mixed with ammonium hydroxide is used to bleach human hair. The chemical's bleaching property lends its name to the phrase 'peroxide blonde,' Hydrogen peroxide is also used for tooth whitening . . ."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here