Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

So much for a good deal...

kclv
9 years ago

My 8 1/2 year old Frigidaire front loader was giving me problems. It only spun/drained on one cycle, so I figured it was only a matter of time until it died. At the same time my 12 year old Kenmore gas dryer was also annoying me- I had to run it twice to dry the clothes.

Lowe's was having an appliance sale, and I found a great deal on a Whirlpool Duet steam washer and dryer set. They were last year's models, but the price had dropped by $600 for the pair, plus Lowe's was giving a 10% discount on all appliances, plus I got an extra 5% off with my Lowe's card. Win! Not so fast...

When the washer was installed, the installer found that the cold water valve was broken and could not be shut off. They turned off the water to the house and were able to install it, but I had to call a plumber to fix the valve. Turns out the washer box has been discontinued and re-vamped. (of course, house is 12 years old) The plumber could not find a replacement so we had to install a new one which meant opening up the wall, and drywall repair. So much for my big discount...

If I had not replaced my washer I would not have known about the plumbing issue. And the potential for disaster was definitely there. The new valves are ball valves, which will hold up better with our very hard water. And I love my new washer/dryer. Super quiet, and dry in half the time of my old one.

Still, the plumber and drywall repair totally ate up my savings. Oh well.

Comments (2)