Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scl4_gw

Any advice LG or Samsung

scl4
16 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the Samsung WF337AAG (and matching dryer) with SilverCare and VRT, or the LG WM2487 (with matching dryer) with Steam. The Samsung set is approximately $250 more than the LG.

Comments (24)

• chelsee001
    16 years ago

Had the LG set for a couple of months and very happy with them. I use the steam on some of my dry cleaners items or blazers. No complaints here, just cost to dam much!

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

I did not know the Samsung was more expensive than the LG. There have been some recent post about some trouble w/the Samsung. Before choosing either one if I were you I would make sure both have coverage/service in your area. You have to be crafty with this, you have to make them think you already have the machine and that you all calling in for service. Trust me they will both lie to you if they find out you are just inquiring! The way I got them was I told them I was calling from my office and did not have the washer serial number available (they will ask for it) at that time and calling later in the evening was not an option! I also explained that the tech could get the serial once they came to my house for the service call!
    That may be a bit shady but hey when you are paying that type of money you have to have all the facts before the purchase!
    Samsung according to "JimLaw" does not have coverage in Raleigh NC; where we both live.
    For what its worth I also have the 2487 in Wild Cherry Red and I am ecstatic over the performance.
    I am not convinced based on my research that "cold water" effectively/truthfully sanitizes and cleans clothes thoroughly.
    The steam features are extremely nice on the LG. Just my two cents though...good luck with whatever you go with.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention that the Samsung performed very good in the Consumer Reports issue in June despite its #7 (I think) placement. The LG 2688/2487 was #1

• looser
    16 years ago

luvmylg,
    I don't quite understand how your "service availability check" proves if you have GOOD service in your area or how long it would take to order spare parts. The only information you got was how fast they would come out, right? I don't think you get any indication about how qualified the techs are and if they'd be able to get the parts in quickly.
    What do you mean by saying "I am not convinced based on my research that "cold water" effectively/truthfully sanitizes and cleans clothes thoroughly."
    Who made the claim that cold water would do that? Just curious...

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

looser as far as service availability goes; a proficient or not so proficient tech is a mute point if a particular brand does not have service set up in your respective area.
    There have been folks on this site that simply needed a tech to come out to their house (jimlaw with his Samsung) and/or needed a tech to look at an issue before the brand would order a part and could not get that because there was no service in that area.
    "What do you mean by saying I am not convinced based on my research that "cold water effectively/truthfully sanitizes and cleans clothes thoroughly.
    Who made the claim that cold water would do that? Just curious..."
    Samsung has made that claim....if you go to their site they have outright dismissed the use of hot water for effective cleaning and sanitizing.

• looser
    16 years ago

Okay, I can find the claim that the silvercare technology helps sanitizing clothes in cold water. I don't see the claim that hot water doesn't clean more effectively though. After all, they do have an internal heater and a hot water setting. I am not sure about the silvercare technology either. It may kill some germs, but what does it do to the environment and your skin in the long run? On the other hand, I am also not convinced that the steam wash cycle is more effective than the equivalent cycle without steam. The steam fresh option might be kind of useful though.
    Well, I just prefer not getting appliances made in Korea...except for my cell phone.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

To each his own. As for me I do not get caught up in where an appliance is made. I will buy an appliance from people I have never heard of in Croatia if it is a proven, servicable, reliable, well built, and a goodlooking product like my LG WM2487, and it doesn't hurt that it carries Consumer Reports number 1 ranking this year and has been in the top three for at least the last 4 years. (thats how long I've been keeping score)
    Don't hate on the LG and it's innovations. I think you have the duet...hopefully you are happy with it (being that it was made in Germany). lol
    scl4 has narrowed his/her choice between the LG and Samsung and being that I actually own and have experience w/the machine he/she is interested in, I chimed in to help, later.....

• scl4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. After so many failtures in the past 5 years with American appliance products, I made a vow never to buy one again, and never to buy anything from Sears.

I'm leaning towards the Samsung. There are service people here to service both brands. I don't think I would use the steam cycle much - we don't wear blazers and such here in the tropics. Heck, I could hang my clothes on the line and they would end up steamy!

Mold is a BIG issue here and perhaps the Silver Care feature would help some.

Feedback on either product from those who own them is greatly appreciated.

• looser
    16 years ago

No, I don't have the Duet. Right now, I am stuck with a Hotpoint TL. As long as we live here in NC we won't buy anything new. We will move to Texas later this year and then we'll probably get a Bosch Nexxt. That one was engineered in Germany and is being assembled here. Service should not be a problem is the DFW area.
    I am not getting all wrapped up in where an appliance is made, but some countries just have much better eco-friendly production lines than others. If I want an eco-friendly appliance, I have to take its production into account. That is just my opinion though. It is good that people have a variety of choices.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

As I understand it mold is a potential issue on ANY fldr. Several on this site have stated that they do not leave their doors open on their machines and have had no issues. I for one never want it to be an issue, so I always leave the door open. (at least for a couple of days after a wash) I cannot speak for the other machines as I dont own them but LG has a tub wash cycle that you use w/bleach and hot water to combat the possible mold issue. "Coldwater Ionazation" or "SteamWash" or whatever other moniker used have nothing to do with the mold thing.
    FYI.... SteamFresh is to freshen clothes and rid them of wrinkles. SteamWash is an actual wash cycle that utilizes steam for what LG owners have seen as a boost in thorough cleaning. I would not consider it a sanitizing wash as that particular cycle takes longer to complete. cheers

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

what is taking you to Texas?

• looser
    16 years ago

My husband is finally retiring from the Army and we move to Texas where our family lives. I dread the extreme heat, but it is hot and humid here too. They actually had more snow in Texas last winter than we had here at Fort Bragg.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

ah...Fort Bragg, I was born in Womack General (think thats what it's called) my dad was in the army. My mom absolutely hated Fort Bragg and "Fayettnam". Good luck on the move and good riddance to the Hotpoint!! lol

• looser
    16 years ago

It is called Womack Army Medical Center, but it is a fairly new building now (less than 15 years old). The former hospital is now the Soldier Support Center. I don't particularly like Fayetteville, but at least there are many Germans around and also some German bakeries, restaurants and shops. Fort Bragg changed a lot, most of the Air Force is getting pulled out and the housing has been privatized.
    Well, I think we are driving the OP crazy with this discussion. He or she just want to know if the Samsung or the LG is better. I think that all comes down to personal preference though. In this price range I'd actually consider the Miele.

• scl4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, did I see a nice washer/dryer set today. Solid as can be and beautiful to look at. Price reflected the quality, and waaay over my budget. You can't believe how heavy everything is in this machine. Wonder how well it works. Looks like it would last forever.

Here is a link that might be useful: KitchenAid Proline

• linkay42
    16 years ago

Have the Samsung set in blue from Lowes since April and I live in a mobile home so it is off the ground and love this as no vibrating...Cleans great!!!!

• bgetchel
    16 years ago

Hi SCL4,

We purchased the Samsung set in "Tango" red just a couple of weeks ago and LOVE them! I did a lot of research through various publications and online forums like this one. I think the LG set scores a little better with some magazines, but not on the things we do most (wash and dry normal clothes, all of my suits, shirts, etc are dry cleaned). It came down to how I liked the operation of the Samsung units and how they looked. We haven't tried the "Silver Care" feature yet so I can't comment on it. We purchased the set at Lowes and DID opt for the 5-Year extended warranty. It was only $160 for the PAIR, which with pedestals, tax and incidentals came to about $2,900. Surely that's a king's ransom for a washer/dryer combination, but the regret of spending so much has quickly faded, and now we're left with a spectacular set of appliances.

I was **STUNNED** at how quiet the washer was. I thought something had to be wrong with it and was all bummed out that we'd gotten a DOA unit. I heard the sloshing of water, but no drum rotation. To my surprise the drum WAS rotating. Even high-speed spin is quiet. It sounds like the Six Million Dollar Man running faster and faster (dating myself).

However, the dryer is your typically noisy unit. I think Samsung blew their R&D budget on the washer and just made the dryer look like it matches. Nothing special about it, though it has a number of spiffy features that most others likely have.

I really wanted the Bosch Platinum set, but couldn't get over the useless, TINY pedestals and the two WEEK delivery time.

I spent about a couple of hours going over the LG Tromm and they were very nice, but my personal preference was the Samsung pair, and I'm happy with my decision. They may be a little more, but they're worth it.

BTW, both LG and Samsung are based in Korea. LG is actually Goldstar, which used to be a peddler of junk and couldn't make a quality product to save their lives. Samsung wasn't far behind and made enough trash of their own as well. However, they both have turned into world-class manufacturers of some benchmark, high quality products.

Five years ago I wouldn't have touched anything either of them made. Now at least Samsung was my first choice, and I actually paid more for them then I would have the Bosch.

• cotehele
    16 years ago

I've had a new, blue, LG SteamWasher & Electric Dryer for about 10 days. Someone (thanks, but I don't remember who) posted his/her Best Buy's good buy and free delivery. The LG set was less expensive than the Samsung. My husband, who has never done one load of laundry, wanted color rather than white. I like the blue.

Honestly, I cannot believe there is any significant difference in how clean an LG or Samsung gets the clothes. I was agreeable to whichever one was less expensive. The LGs replaced 27 year old Maytags that cleaned clothes just fine, but were worn out.

I agree; consider service and cost.

• scl4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I will have the Samsung unit delivered today. I am so pleased with the quality of my Samsung refrigerator and hope I will be equally pleased with the washer/dryer set.

• libliz
    16 years ago

Hi sc14, congrats on your new purchase. About a month ago I too purchased the Grey AA siver, etc., and so far really like it. Yes, the washer is very quiet, cleans sooo much better than my old Neptune, 2000 model. It took several washing in new washer to get cloths whiter and brighter. I have well water and that is a problem when doing laundry. I use the siver thingy all the time, it's there, I use it! Clothes do smell better. The setting are so easy even I can figure them out, tells you exactly the water temp. setting, etc.. At first I added soap and other additives and then opened the door and loaded the machine. That is not the thing to do, open door, load, close and fill soap, etc. After I figured out little details like that I really like the set. The dryer is a bit noisy but is fine and like the setting. We can only hope in time we will still be happy with our choice. So far just really like 'em and they are so pretty.

• johnner1999
    16 years ago

to those that bought the Samsung - how well does it wash large items like king size bedding (plus comforters) if at all?

I like the feel of the Samsung better over the LG; but my wife likes the bigger LG at 4.2 vs 3.8...

Also how well do the cloths get cleaned?

thansk in advance,
    John

• gordonr
    16 years ago

Somehow many of the manufacturers are making their wash drums so they officially size bigger without growing the size of the machine. Maybe some spec game playing between manufacturers?

Assuming it's real, what is the difference between 4.2 and 3.8? It's 0.4 cu ft which is a box smaller than 5"x5"x5". In practical terms that amounts to about one adult t-shirt worth of difference. Somehow I'd guess other features might be more important than this difference.

• natthita
    15 years ago

Samsung is better than LG. Samsung's return rates are way better than LGs.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

> Samsung is better than LG. Samsung's return rates are way better than LGs.

... according to who ?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor