Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in Clothing from washing

Posted by Mandygirl007 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:50

I was reading the thread on little holes getting in your clothes after doing laundry.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg072147159570.html

I had this problem a few years ago - my mom solved it for me!!

ZIP UP YOUR ZIPPERS BEFORE YOU THROW YOUR PANTS AND JACKETS IN THE WASH!

This completely solved my problem!
Good luck!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in Clothing from washing

Terrific idea, but many of us get holes when we have no zippers, buttons or anything else hard or sharp in the wash. I get holes even when I wash T shirts in a lingerie bag. Holes are likely partly caused by weak spots in the cotton fibers. They appear more commonly in cotton knits or cotton woven shirts than synthetics. Some are a mystery, though. Like socks disappearing in the dryer.

o
RE: Holes in Clothing from washing

I have discovered what has been causing the holes in my shirts. I have new granite on my kitchen counters. Because I am short, I have to lean across the granite to reach the faucet. The granite's edge and under part is rough and I have found that it is the rough parts on the granite which are causing these holes to form. The shirt must rub against the rough edges and then catch and tear holes in it. When I wear an apron or put a towel against the granite to protect me from these rough edges, I do not get holes.
I have had someone out to sand the edges and as they are much smoother now, I have not had the problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here