Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Whirlpool - No Spin Only Cycle ??

dakota01
13 years ago

I finally decided on the Whirlpool Cabrio W&D set. Got a really good price on them at Lowe's.

I do a lot of hand laundry so I use a spin only cycle for probably 75% of the time.

I contacted Whirlpool only to find out that the Cabrio does not have a spin only cycle. Actually, I was told none of thier washers had that feature anymore! I would have to think one with a knob rather than push buttons would have it.

Any sugggestions for a nice new top load washer that does have a spin or a rinse & spin cycle only?

Comments (27)

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Can't say for sure about the Cabrio as I don't have one ... but some machines support a spin-only by turning on the power, selecting a spin speed and pressing start.

Looking at the Use & Care Guide online for Cabrio model (WTW7800), the dial has a setting designated as Rinse/Drain & Spin. The cycle chart describes Rinse & Spin separately from Drain & Spin, but doesn't specify how to chose them separately from the one position on the dial. Maybe powering the machine on and selecting it runs Rinse & Spin ... but turning the dial there after a cycle is already running does a Drain & Spin, as in cancel & drain?

Another Cabrio model WTW5500 does show separate settings on the dial for Drain & Spin and Rinse & Spin.

• lilyluv
    13 years ago

Jeannie,
    I, too, have just purchased the new Whirlpool Cabrio W & D. at Lowe's. Since we are putting on an addition, they have been held at Lowe's and will be delivered this Thursday. Besides the issue of not having a separate spin cycle, do you like it? Was it worth the money?

• dakota01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

DADOES - I stopped in to Lowes and saw those buttons too, so I thought you select the drain/rinse then push the button. BUT - the girl at Whirlpool said they do not make a washer with spin or rinse spin only.

I think she's wrong ! Only because I looked at a Whirlpool with the spin dials and I can't see why you couldn't just dial what you wanted - like the "Good Ol' Days"

Lilyluv - I'm in the same situation as YOU ! Mine are sitting at Lowes waiting for my house to be done. So sorry, I haven't used them yet. I went with them because Lowes was having the 20% off sale. The cabrio's were already on sale then with the 20% I got both for 1,300.00

I am going to talk to someone else at Whirlpool, but if the answer is still NO - I am going to cancel my washer. There is no way I can live w/o a spin only cyle or rinse/spin only.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Jeannie01 ... manufacturer phone reps do not have hands-on experience with or or access to the machines and can only give information per the sales literature and scripted call material provided to them.

Any machine with a mechanical timer (such as the "spin dial" Whirlpool that you saw) can surely be set to any function. It's the electronic control models which follow a defined cycle sequence via software that can't be manually handled.

Regards to the Cabrio ... even if there really is no spin-only setting (which I'd be surprised if there isn't), they do have a built-in diagnostic testing routine for checking the various components and functions, and I imagine one of the tests runs a spin. If you tell me which specific model you're getting, I can perhaps check on that and give you the button/control routine to do it.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dadoes - The model is WTW7340XW If it does have a rinse/spin only or spin only - it hs a button that you push to start etc. How do those push buttons hold up to use?

I guess I am so use to having the knob that you turn that I am worried that a button would wear out. I'm thinking maybe I should forget the cabrio maybe get the GE profile which does have the knobs - but it isn't a HE - which after reading some negative on that - I don't think I want HE anyway. You have to use special detergent, you have to clean the washer - my goodness it's a WASHER - soap and water go thru it - why would you have to WASH IT TOO??????LOL

• brendasumner_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have the Cabrio WTW7340XW and it's not a "button" for the Rinse/Spin cycle. It's a setting on the turn nob. You just turn the knob and press Start.

As for cleaning the washer, it's a good idea to run bleach thru any of these HE machines once a month. It's just to kill off any mold or bacteria that may be growing. You're suppose to keep the lid open when it's not in use to prevent mold, but I know it's habit to put it down for some, myself included.

• lynne22
    13 years ago

Well, the 5700 Cabrio has a 'drain and spin' cycle. So I'm not sure why that wouldn't work for you.

• geewiz65
    8 years ago

I have the cabrio & hate it! I don't think my clothes come out as clean as they did in the old type washer & it doesn't have a spin cycle. just washed a blanket. ..OMG! I very carefully situated the blanket around the wash plate insuring that the hub was fully exposed and blanket was equally distributed. when the wash was finished, the blanket had an area that was covering the entire washplate. when I pulled the blanket out, the part of the blanket that was covering the washplate was dirty. ..a huge dirt circle!!!!! UGH!!!!!

• lauraavers79
    8 years ago

We recently purchased the W. Cabrio washer with electronic board. Love it! However, just learned that I can't do spin-only cycle. Bummer. I'm stuck with a sopping wet towels!

• Timeka Kimberly Wilson-King
    8 years ago

There is one. Select rinse & spin cycle, and then select the rinse button to take that option away. Then it will give you just the spin cycle...

• geeg9124
    8 years ago

Problem with this one...there is no rinse button...Mine is rinse, drain, spin...but you have no choice to take the rinse option away

• geeg9124
    8 years ago

I hope this works! THANK YOU!!!

• pbeaudet
    7 years ago

We have a Cabrio washer and found if you look under Utilities, there is a Rinse & Spin cycle and works great! I just took off the extra rinse that came up.

• Jacci Moore
    7 years ago

Yes, I just tried that (I had heavy, wet towels) and it worked. Thank you!! I'm trying to adjust to this new washer. My clothes are coming out of the Cabrio washer looking exceptionally wrinkled! I've tried adjusting the spin cycle (but then I just have heavy, wet clothes!) Does anyone have advice??

• Bruce Notgonnatell
    7 years ago

Yep found that under the utilities menu Thanks here's the manuals info.

Rinse & Spin Combines a rinse and high speed spin for loads requiring an additional rinse cycle. Also use for loads that require rinsing only. If you want Drain & Spin select Rinse & Spin and then deselect Extra Rinse.

• mymemorylane
    7 years ago

push the Extra Rinse button off worked!! Awesome advice! Thanks. Now I can do spin only cycle......even the Whirlpool people couldn't help me.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I know this is an older thread, but since mymemorylane posted I read it all...something that drew my attention, because you all know what I'm like LOL...was *Geewiz95* comment about the **Huge dirty circle* on her/his blanket after being washed...exactly how dirty was the blanket before being washed? LOL.

• jw mom
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you about a million times! Have needed to do that so many times, but this time I finally found your site and, of course it works or I wouldn't be thanking you. I was going to make a note of how to do that..... but then thought how would I ever forget? Even though I forget a lot of things, this one I won't!

• Rachel Humphrey
    7 years ago

To make it spin only just choose spin and rinse and unselect extra rinse.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

I've have a front load Samsung (I hate it, can't express this strongly enough) since 2010. I too only have a Rinse + Spin option. I will try some of this tricks, but why isn't any of this in the manual. Samsung support can't even tell me what to do and surely all washers have a spin only cycle, why wouldn't they???

I have recently spoke with a parts supplier (dryer needs another new part...ARGH!!! 3rd one in 5 months, timer keeps jacking up)...

anyhow, he told me to never buy Samsung or LG for appliances mainly washer/dryers, they have the worst ratings and require a lot of repairs (they should stick to phones...maybe?).

He recommended Speed Queen, basic units that are very dependable. For next time I will be looking into those.

Never again will I buy front load. He also said to stay away from the top loads that do not have a center agitator, also bad on repairs and both front loads and agitator free washers do not wash well.

Just for fun, put in an old set of sheets that are colored and add in the bleach, you will get a spotted mess, nothing gets evenly distributed on front loads. I have detergent and fabric softener on my wash all the time after a complete cycle. I've have to do an extra rinse for everything which costs more money and wastes a lot of water and time. Don't get caught up in how pretty front loads look, they are all horrible. I have yet to meet someone who likes there front load washer.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Let me introduce myself.....you have now met someone that not only likes, but LOVES their Front Load washer.

I'm sorry your having such problems which were some of my concerns before getting my first FL almost a year ago. However my Duet doesn't operate apparently like other FL even those of the same make and model..so who knows if I didn't have this washer I may also have hated it.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Cheryl,

IIRC, a Samsung my sister has runs spin-only by pressing just the spin speed button for whatever speed is desired, then Start. No Spin gives just a drain. I don't recall if the dial must be set at Rinse/Spin.

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Oh, yeah ... BTW, if I had to buy a new washing machine today it would definitely be a frontloader.

• hcbm
    6 years ago

I too love my compact front-loader, but it isn't a Samsung. Maybe start a post with your cleaning issues and then the laundry genius here will be able to assist in solving or at least mitigating some of your issues.

• Cheryl
    6 years ago

I tried to just spin yesterday with the suggestions and it works, why doesn't support know this and I'm upset with myself for living almost 8 years with no spin. I will have to live with this washer until it completely quits. Not in the budget for a new one just yet. But it will be an old fashioned top load. thanks for the suggestions and help.

• jw mom
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh, I lied! Not intentionally, but I said I would not forget how to do the spin only and I forgot! Glad I am getting updates on this site because now I have made a note of it and will put it on the inside of the door right above the washer (where I put all of my important laundry notes. ROFL)