Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfm1134_gw

LG Top Loader washers??

tfm1134
13 years ago

Does anyone know anything about these machines? DH just went and bought me this + the matching steam dryer last night and would love to know if anyone has any experience with them. TIA

Comments (64)

• joe_wan
    13 years ago

I would highly recommend any LG front load washer and dryer. Top load? Not a fan.....

• badgergrrl
    13 years ago

I have read a lot of negative reviews of the HE (agitator-less) top loaders, LG and other brands. Apparently, they wrinkle and tangle the clothes something fierce. Has anyone here had that experience?

• linkay42
    13 years ago

I have the new LG and no it is fine..Love it!

• bookert
    13 years ago

linkday42,

Can you give details about your washer??

I currently have a GE Harmony which is essentially the same thing, but will be replacing it in the near future. BTW, I am really happy with it's performance!
    I notice that the LG uses a different type of metal for the bottom plate, but not sure if that makes any difference or not. Mine is stainless steel and shiny, the one used on the LG is a matte like finish.
    If it uses as much water as my current model, I may look into them further.
    Can you elaborate for those of us who are interested in much more detail??

Thanks much!

• washerman8
    13 years ago

gates1,
    No, I have not made the video yet. I thought I would be able to do it this past weekend, but I didn't get a chance. I apologize. When I return home on Wednesday, I promise to film a load washing, rinsing, and spinning just for you.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Thanks washerman8' Im looking forward to it !

• linkay42
    13 years ago

I also have a Harmony set and it is some different! Love both sets..The LG only has 30 min. soak so if I want a longer soak I use the GE..Also the spin is not as long so I re-spin things like Jeans and towel,Rugs ETC..Why are you replacing the GE? I have had great luck with mine so far..Any other questions let me know and I will try and answer..Linda

• washerman8
    13 years ago

gates1 and whirlpool trainee,

I am recording the LG washer for you now. I hope it comes out ok. If not, I will record it again. I will inform you when it's posted on youtube.

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

Thank you! :-)

• gates1
    13 years ago

Thanks washerman8, looking forward to it!

• bookert
    13 years ago

linkay42,

My main questions are probably the comparisons between the two since you also have the Harmony! =)
    Besides less spin time, what differences do you notice? How about cleaning performance? Water usage? I love that the Harmony uses more than enough to cover the load both in the wash and rinse cycles!
    My need to replace the washer ( I'm keeping the dryer, love it, it's not as old) stems from the electronics going out. Sometimes the panel hesitates to come on and THAT is a huge problem. =)

Thank you for your time to answer my questions.
    Oh! How is the noise level and build quality IYO?

• linkay42
    13 years ago

Cleaning is fine..Larger tub..You can add extra water..They are both great in different ways..Harmony has longer choice of soak time..LG is 30 minutes..I just re-spin heavy things if need be.LG does not seem to twist the clothes up as bad..Hope this helps. If any other questions just let me know!!

• bookert
    13 years ago

Ok I'm ready for the you tube video! =)
    Sounds like this machine will be a good alternative to my Harmony when it dies....
    Thought about a Miele but the cost to add 220v is very expensive! Plus I have wood foundation....
    Thanks for the info!

• gates1
    13 years ago

I read in the owners manual of the new kenmore toploader HE machine, no its not a oasis, that the soak cycle is 3 hours max! I dont know if this is a misprint or not, but something to consider. Also the kenmore is a 1050 rpm speed versus the LG 1100 rpm spin speed. I am very interested in these machines. I love the newest electrolux wave touch, but it cost 1599 for both the washer and dryer. Its spin speed is 1400rpm which is another plus for me, as I currently spin everything at 1200rpm and have no issues with wrinkles in my clothes.

• washerman8
    13 years ago

gates1 and whirlpool trainee,

I am having some difficulty with my videos. I am using the ImageMixer 3 software that came with my Panasonic camcorder and I believe I have lost my videos. I deleted them, as well as some other cherished videos, from my camcorder after I imported them to this software. I am working now to try and retrieve them.

Just wanted to let you know I have not forgotten about posting the videos. This is my first time using this software. If you have any suggestions, please give them to me. I really want to retrieve these videos.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Washerman8, I wish I could help you out on the cam thing. All I have is an old 8 mm one. Id have to ask my 15yr old niece how to help you LOL. I sure hope you can work it out. Someone posted a very short video of your washer on youtube, but it doesnt show enough :( I am seriously considering getting one, but I want to know how it washers first and so forth. It will either be that one or a Electrolux wave touch, which cost alot more :(

• washerman8
    13 years ago

gates1,
    Please, please, please ask your niece if she knows anything about it. I really would appreciate it so much. I have some family videos that I really would like to retrieve. I thought that when the videos were imported onto the software, it would automatically be saved. I was wrong. I would really appreciate any help.

• washerman8
    13 years ago

gates1 and others,

BestBuy has the washer I have (WT5101HW)on sale this week for $764.99 and the matching dryer (DLEX5101) on sale for $749.99. That is cheaper than what I paid three weeks ago. I paid $799.99 each for mines. Gates1, you will love this set. Wish I had my videos to show you how well this washer and dryer works.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Washerman, I will call her this week, on my day off and see if she can help. You might try to get the discount for your washer since it is only three weeks old. Whatever I buy, Im going to try and get it from HHGregg as I hear you can wheel and deal with them on major purchases. If I were you, contact Image Mixer and ask for there assistance if you had not done so, or go to their website. I hope you get to retrieve all your videos, I know that is sad to lose the cherished ones.

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

I don't now how your exact software works but if I "import" video files into Windows Movie Maker, they are not saved unless I press either Save or Save as.... I fear that, if you deleted the original files from your camcorder's internal memory, the files are lost. Happened to me as well.

Alex

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I desperately need Alex's emoticon.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Washerman8, my niece said to look in the software files for your vids, if not there then they are more than likely lost

• ruh_roh
    13 years ago

My top-loading LG is due to arrive in a week. I hope we'll soon be a household of harmonious laundering! I do recommend getting quotes & then giving Sears a try. My salesperson (who was both knowledgeable and friendly) said she could meet and/or beat any competitor pricing. I purchased mine for 703.99 with an additional 10% off = 633.59 Lower than I had found anywhere else in my area AND they worked delivery around MY schedule! We'll see how it goes....

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

I just got my LG top loader and matching dryer (the premium model 5101, not the 5001). I won't give a write up since I only used it once so far but I will say it did a great job.

I got the white washer & dryer for $660 each, along with a 5 year warranty for $129 & $99 respectfully (they gave me the 5-year warranty at the 3-year price which they aren't suppose to do). I'm a firm believer in EW with all the electronics on these things and used it several time with my old Kenmores. I negotiated price and was surprised to hear when they accepted it. They gave me a price of $600 each for the 5001 model W/D which was extremely low, but decided I'd use features on the premium models (sanitary, steam, etc). The woman who wrote up my order kept saying how ridiculously low we got them for (with Manager's approval).

I'll write back in a few weeks and let you all know my review of the two.

• perceptioveritas
    13 years ago

Please tell me HOW you get the company you purchased your washing machines from to accept you returning the ones you don't like? or to get them to replace the washing machine?

I've had my Maytag Neptune for 5 yrs and hated it from the first wash but the company would not take it back. I hate the thing.

Now I'm looking for a new washing machine and will look into the LG Waveforce being as you like it so much. It is nice that it allows you to add more water.

I HATE these new HE water saver machines that hardly put any water in the machine and each wash takes 80 mins to get a reasonable wash. The Neptune has DESTROYED all of my bras with the underwires in just one wash. It twists the underwire completely out of place, sometimes snapping the underwire, so now I have to wash them by hand. I tried one of those special bra launderer holders, and the machine complete destroyed the wire and the zipper on that too. In fact, I saved it as I intend on sending it to Maytag but I know they don't care.

I've heard the new Samsung is a good washing machine too. I have to look into that. Samsung is pretty new in washing machines in the USA but are big in Europe, so I know the Samsung is a good machine.

ANY recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Well I FINALLY made a decision on which Washer will replace my HE3T. I want the LG wave force 5101 model. I went shopping today, for a new fridge, once I get that, then next comes the washer. How good is the dryer? One thing I noticed about most new FL washer and dryers, the dryers may be 7.3cu ft but the door openings are small compared to my kenmore Elite. I hate that. It seems like the one large door opening come from Whirlpool/Maytag. Even the Electrolux is small, but bigger than most, but not as big as a WP/Tag. That is a downfall for me, as I wash comforters and dont want the pull them out of a small opening. I have researched so much on this LG set, havent found but a few people who didnt like it and after reading how they are using it, I can see why it didnt perform properly,,,as is the case with any washer.... I really like the Bravos with the internal heater, u can choose when to use or not use it, but it gets a lot of mixed reviws. I know Mara on here worships the floor hers sits on and that is great. I do wish it had a water plus option on it too. On the LG, I wish it didnt add cold water to the hot wash cycle, but I can always use sanitary cycle if needed and clothing permits it. One person said in a review that when she used Beach in her LG, it doesnt or didnt flush it all out and when she did her next load of colored clothes, it got on them. Has anyone experienced this as of yet?

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

What made you change from FL to TL?

On the LG/Kenmore, you can add a Stain Treat option to certain cycles, which will activate the heater and raise the water temp in three steps. Target temps are not given, however. And it's only intended for loads of 6 lbs or less... :-/ On some of the Cabrios, you can select an Allergen cycle, which uses more water and heat to remove "over 95% of allergens".

Several washers come with an extra water option but it never seems to add much water - top loader or front loader. For a really deep fill, you'll have to select a cycle intended for sheets or bulky items.

I think the dryer that matches the LG top loader has a really large opening. Have you seen it yet?

Alex

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

Gates:

The dryer opening is plenty large...one of the things I like about it.

As for the bleach dispenser. I just took a look at it to see if it is removable to empty out and I didn't see that it is. But, learning from my old Kenmore that didn't dispense all the bleach leaving my next load with white spots, I now use much less to ensure it gets all used up. I've only used bleach once with my new LG and didn't have any issues, but again, it's b/c I cut way back on the quantity.

Here's what the manual says about the bleach dispenser (verbatim):

During the final portion of the wash cycle, two sequential flushes of the dispenser puts all the bleach into the wash load and conpletely flush the dispenser to elimiate the carryover of bleach to a subsequent load. Any liquid remaining in the bleach dispenser at the end of the cycle is water, not bleach. Note: Please flush the bleach dispenser w/ water after bleach use and then rinse out the residue by use of Rinse & Spin cycle

There you have it.

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

My bad for the typos in my last post.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Whirlpool Trainee, when I replace my FL, the reason is because I do not want to buy pedistals again, they have really gotten over priced since I bought my first set. Also, viberation will be less in the LG. Mine is not bad, but I can feel and hear it at times depending on what kind of load is being washed at the time, and I never overload my machine ever As far as the LG wash temps are : Sanitary wash is 158, hot is 120, warm is 90 and cold is 66. I got this from LG customer service. For adding extra water on the LG, it works on all cycles but bulky and sanitary. It is my guess that when extra water is added, it goes to the bulky cycle water level. You can also add up to three more additional rinses to this washer too according to the manual. I prefer the Bravos 850 over any of the cabrios, I just do not like the control panels on them, they look cheap to me. I love the look of the Vantage, but I hope i do pay two grand for a whirlpool product....NOT! There are better models out there for that price and even it restricts the heaters use according to its manual. Id never use the stain treat computer guide, I already know how to do laundry and get stains out. Ive had lots of practice over the years LOL

Debi 2006, yes you are right about the bleach dispenser and LG's recommendation to run a rinse cycle after you use it. I read that last night after I sent my post.Yes I looked at a LG set yesterday, the dryer door opening as as big as my current HE3T dryer door which I love. I cant beleive that electrolux has such a big capacity dryer and didnt do more with the opening.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I forgot one other thing Whirpool trainee as to why Id go to a HE TL. My washer can only sit to the right of the dryer for installation. TO my knowledge, only Electrolux and I think the Asko XXL washers have a reversible door on them. I bought my current set prior to moving into this house and my dryer currently vents to the left of the machine and the vent house is less than two feet to the outside wall, which I love, less pumbing for lint to get trapped in and reduce the performance of it.

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

I see.

Well, 120F = hot? I surely hope so! With today's super-efficient machines the best way is to dump a bucket of hot water in there to get a hot wash...

I re-read the manual for the LG and the Water Plus option does seem interesting. To me, it sounds like each time you press the button, extra water is added! I thought it would be like on LG's front loaders, where Water Plus is selected prior to starting the machine and then adds like one cup of extra water to the wash and the rinses. I could, however, not find any mentioning of three extra rinses - only two.

Kudos to LG for adding the extra Extra Rinse option to their front and top loaders. The newest Whirlpools went back to one additional rinse - too bad.

Yes, the Vantage looks very nice. It has a Sanitary cycle and a Deep Clean with Heat option. But it's just too damn expensive.

Alex

• gates1
    13 years ago

Alex, you are correct about the two additional rinses. I am way too tired these days. Been working mandatory overtime at work, anywhere from 84-108 hours before I get two days off. Im starting to see things LOL! I am not thrilled with a 120 hot wash, a miele considers that very warm, which in all rights it is. I really like how those machine perform on paper, never had one, but I do read about them.

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

Yes, Miele washers are so smart it's scary. It's interesting to see how they constantly modify each step in the cycle to adjust for different loads.

I know about the temperature issue with US washers - it's either kinda warm or very hot om most machines. There's no medium. Some washers have a new NSF certified Allergen cycle, which heats up to 131F. It's available on Whirlpool/Maytag and Electrolux/Frigidaire front loaders.

Alex

• gates1
    13 years ago

Your your right Alex about the temps of washers. My HE3T heats the water as it washes in most cycles... Hot is 140, warm, 104. cold is 77 and sanitary is 153 degree's. I have considered hunting down a service manual for it to see why it doesnt like to spin heavy loads at full speed anymore. Maybe the suspension system is getting weak after 9 years. MY electronics and heater still work in it, and if I do the work myself, it cant be that expensive to buy the parts, certainly not the price of a new machine equal to mine in performance. I have been really impressed with it, so have my friends as I sometimes wash stuff for them that is too big for there TL or they cant get it clean, but I sure do!

• gates1
    13 years ago

So how are you LG owners enjoying your washers? Any complaints on them? Likes?

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

I can't say that I have any negatives about the washer other then some of the cycles are l o n g, but I think it's that way on any HE washer. I generally wash everything in cold except for sheets and towels and did so even with my old Kenmore. And with it's great spin cycle on the LG5101, I can dry 6-7 pairs of jeans in 35 minutes (on medium heat) whereas it used to take an hour with the Kenmore.

Other than that, I've been pleased with how my small and large loads come out.

• chelliep
    13 years ago

I returned my LG 5001 to Home Depot, rather I am exchanging it for the next model up, the LG 5100WT.. I didn't like the lack of hot water so with the 5100 I will have the option of the Sanitize cycle and the delicate cycle and the non vibration cycle.. I don't get any vibration with the
    5001 but who knows what this means. I have been reading your posts and if I am right the waterplus option only means you can add an extra rinse ... is this right ?? There were times I would like to have added some extra water to the wash cycle. I read the manual and I still don't understand that if you add the fabric softener cycle, the total wash time doesn't get longer. So, with the fb cycle, does the machine add any more water ?? I have been always adding the extra rinse cycle.
    The manual isn't very complete. It doesn't have cycle times for instance. I've had the machine for just under a month and have only used the Towel and Perm Press Casual cycles. Today I used the Cottons cycle with a HOT water wash. The manual states that if you use the Bulky setting with a regular wash you will damage your machine. I am confused..sigh

• gates1
    13 years ago

chelliep, yes you can add more water to your wash and rinse as stated in your owners manual. All you do is during the wash or rinse cycle, press pause,then press and hold your extra rinse button for 3 second and push start. You can do this repeated times untill the machine reaches its max water level. Water plus is not available in sanitary, tub clean, or bulky bedding cycles. It is my guess that the bulky cycle automatically uses the max amount of water. So yes you can add more water to your machine and even use the extra rinses, you can add up to 2 extra rinses if you so desire. I just read this from your owners manual.

• chelliep
    13 years ago

Thank you gates1, I figured that was the way to add more water to the wash cycle. However, I did try it and it added COLD water to a HOT wash cycle. I guess there is no way to get more water the same temp as what you choose for the wash cycle. I got my replacement LG 5101 HW washer and haven't used it yet. I see it has an EXTRAHOT/COLD
    cycle, so now I am wondering if I can use that temperature setting with the Towel cycle, for instance. That way, if I have an extra large load and get the extra hot water and add more water to the wash cycle the water temp should be hotter than if I choose the regular HOT/COLD
    temps to start off with.. Has anybody ever tried this ??

• gates1
    13 years ago

chelliep, the extra hot water can only be used with the sanitary cycle, it is not an option on the other ones. Water plus is not available on the sanitary cycle on your washer, and will soon be mine. Home Depot has them on sale, 750 dollars off the set, so IM gonna try to get it on monday, and see how it takes for it to arrive

• impliedconsent
    13 years ago

I had inadvertently posted this in "Appliance". Thought this would be better served for the "Laundry" folks:

OK, top load v. front load. Here's my story.
    I had the infamous Maytag Neptune W/D front load (tip: if someone tries to sell you a "NEPTUNE" ... run). I had it for 11yrs, going through all the smelly troubleshooting. This past October, I couldn't stand it anymore and started doing my research.
    My research found: ALL front loaders will exhibit the mildew smell if 1) you don't clean the gasket 2) don't prop the door open 3) use a "sanitizer".
    I'm all about conserving water and energy and usually wouldn't look twice at a top loader. I was seriously drooling over the new Samsungs ... until I happened upon the new LG top loaders.
    I found that this new top loader uses about or less than the amount of water that the front loaders use. It also has a great Waveforce technology that doesn't use a "clothes damaging" agitator as the normal top loaders use.
    I was going to pay the same for a front loader, but didn't want the inconvenience of fighting the mildew. I went for the LG WT5101H (matching dryer) ... and GAVE away the (still working) Neptune set to a womens shelter (and full 'mildew-be-gone' written instructions).
    Now we've had this for little less than a month. There is no front loader that can handle the loads I can do, using the same amount of water. As previously posted, it also has the Sanitary hot water heater up to 158degrees (that the pricier front loaders have).
    I also followed many Appliance forums (washer repair specific) and the new GE Profiles, Maytag Bravo's and Kenmore's are on the top of the repair list. I saw nothing for LG top loaders.
    There is a HUGE 10yr direct drive motor warranty ... that's a big deal.

So, yea, here's a vote for this top loader. I won't buy into the overhyped marketing of front loaders too much; although I will agree that they do clean well (not better) and save water. I do not agree that I need to do daily "mildew maintenance" instead of quarterly cleaning.

...and as of today, I just saw Best Buy selling these for 699.00

Here is a link that might be useful: LG WT5101HW Washer

• gates1
    13 years ago

impliedconsent, not all FL's will get mold mildew smell. Mine is over 9 years old, and it never has had that problem at all. I do Not wipe the door seal down after I use it, not do I leave the door open to dry it out. I have a lot of friends who bought FL's after I got mine and they do not have these issues either. I (we) do not overload our machines with detergent, oxyclean, clorax 2 and all the other stuff,or mainly wash in cold water. I dare anyone to find or smell mold in our machines

I love the LG set, in fact I am going today to buy it, because I do not want to fork out almost 4 grand for a Electrox set because it has a reversible door, which I need in my current laundry room setup

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

Gates, I too had to reverse the door on the dryer since it has to sit on the left of the washer. Remember, when you order it and have it delivered for the salesman to write that on the order form upon purchase so when they delivery it, they can change the door for you.

When ours was originally delivered, it wasn't written on there and they would not reverse it. Had another crew come out a week later to do it. Though it's relatively easy enough to do yourself, though lots of screws, I'd still leave it up to the delivery guy just be be safe....in case it gets scratched (like ours did) so the store will be responsible to replace the door or get money off. They offered $100 off, but we opted for a new door, even though the scratch wasn't bad.

Just a heads up.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I went to HD, BB, And HHGregg today. Everyone all would compete against the price, but I ended up buying the WT5101HW, and DLGX5102W dryer from Home Depot, gotthe washer for $698.00, Dryer for 768.00 (gas Model) and a 4 year warranty on both for $150.00 conbined, which starts after the first year Manufactures warranty ends. So for 5 years it is covered. Since I need a gas dryer, It wont come in till 12/28/2010. HD does not deliver out to where I am out, so I will pick it up from the store. I can handle a simple door reverse change, no problems there. Also, I when I was in HD, there was other stainless dryer there with the outer plastic film paint peeling off the painted metal inside the dryer door, so I am glad I got the white. That makes two defective dryers that I have seen in seperate HD stores. Shopping at HHgregg is like buying a new car, it started to get on my nerves being left out on the floor while the salesman goes talk to a Manager about a price on a new set. At first they didnt want to come down on the gas dryer till I showed them in writing that everyone else selling it, has it marked down price. They lost out with the warranty, which would of been around 370 dollars for the set, no thanks, thats too much so back to HD I went and bought it

• mrb627
    13 years ago

Funny. I noticed that the stainless finish on the inside of the LG dryer at my home depot was rippled as if it was some sort of vinyl wrapper on a white machine. Looks like a defect to me. Wonder how many of these out there will develop this problem over time.

MRB

• gates1
    13 years ago

yewp I have noticed that in the home depot stores too, and only the ones they carry. Its a overlay of plastic , so when I bought mine, I went for the white instead. Ive seen two so far in different HD stores

• mrb627
    13 years ago

Has anyone checked the Kenmore version of these machines to see if they have the same bubbling wrapper around the white cabinets?

MRB

• gates1
    13 years ago

Ive noticed the bubbling on the stainless steel dryer only, not the white on in the LG form. The kenmore versions are all painted colors, not and overlay of plastic to give the stainless effect

• maryanne2008
    13 years ago

To Gates or Debi, anyone who has had the LG 5101 top load for a longer time?Any problems or new complaints. The only negatives Im reading are more about LG customer service but Whirlpools isnt much better. I need to make a decision.
    Thanks for you input