Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cloud9one

FL pedestal alternatives - cinder blocks?

cloud9one
12 years ago

Hi everyone...

does anyone use some kind of pedestal alternatives for the front loader washer/dryers? I just cannot stomach about $500 for pedestal drawers as I only need the height not the storage space. I just bought the LG TrueSteam something or other. They are to be delivered Friday. I've heard people built a platform using cinder blocks. Is that common? Is that safe? Seems like they should be strong enough to withstand the vibration, but wanted some guidelines from you all.

Also would be great if you share any creative solutions to elevate the washer/dryer if you don't have the matching pedestals. thanks..

Comments (7)

• asolo
    12 years ago

Cinder blocks are fine. Just more-or-less level the thing and be sure the machine's feet are bearing solidly and equally so the machine's suspension components can work like they're supposed to. You won't win any design/fashion awards but your machine will work as well as anybody elses'.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

I use cinder blocks under my machines. As Asolo said, not a beauty point, but very practical.

Cinder blocks are surprisingly uneven, so you should be prepared to shim them (unless you're setting them in mortar). And possibly re-shim them from time to time. I used the solid half-block ones that are smaller than the ones with the holes in the middle as mine are not mortared. I have a stack (a platform really) three bocks high that runs continuously under all my machines. (I have more than one washing machine - dryer is in another room.) The center layer of the blocks was laid at right angles to the top and bottom so they bridge the joints. I had to buy half a dozen extra blocks as some were way out of tolerance and couldn't be evened out over three layers.

I think I'm going to be adding in another machine this summer, so I may take the trouble to put in some kind of smoother "floor" on top of the block platform under the machines.

The blocks are serious magnets for dust, fluff, fur and hair and so require vacuum maintenance over their rough surfaces.

Other than that, I am completely satisfied. My block platform is on a concrete floor in the basement.

HTH

L

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

cloud9one, as earlier responders have stated, cinder blocks work fine as washing machine supports. We have used cinder blocks under our washing machines (all front-loaders) since we moved into our home in the 1970s. The laundry sink in this home is located in the basement, and the area in front of the sink (where the washing machine must be located to place the drainage hose) has a wide V-shaped drainage channel in the concrete floor, requiring the four corners of the washing machine to be supported by different height blocks to achieve leveling without extending the adjustable feet of the machine to their limits. The four cinder blocks are further supplemented and stabilized with thin plywood shims.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

Yep, cinder blocks work fine...but OMG, ugly!!! :( LOL

At least build a platform. That is very common in Europe, and even on the Miele website, they used to show their machines on built up platforms, before Miele also jumped on the $600 pedestals!!

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

I guess that being in a basement with access to all four sides might work for a homemade platform, but what about having your machines serviced? Miele techs have a large sheet of what looks to be a nylon based composition that they slide under the machines to pull them out for service. I cannot see them even attempting to service a unit atop a separate platform--especially the Miele W48XX series washer since it is just shy of three-hundred pounds!

• cynic
    12 years ago

I have my front load dryer on a platform I built in a hurry. (Cousin was coming to help haul the dryer and it gave me an evening to design, get materials and build something.)

I put down 8" concrete blocks and knew that wasn't going to be high enough. I was concerned about stacking two high without some construction adhesive between them and possibly some strapping around them. Plus I was concerned that 16" might be too high. I settled on one layer of blocks and built a wood pallet from 2x4s. That raised it about 14" and is about perfect for me. Looks? It's in the basement, who cares? For me, form follows function. I have space under it that I could even use a tote or something as a drawer for storage if I wanted. But I don't need it. It also has a hamper door so it works great for a folding table as I pull stuff out of the dryer. If I were to get a FL washer, I'd have to put something under it and the puny pedestals they sell aren't tall enough for me so I might be restricted to a top load if I ever have to replace my washer. Hopefully that's a long way off.

BTW, if your hungup on looks, you could put something around it. Either build a surround of some sort, maybe a box of some sort to put over it, paint it, wallpaper it or decorate it how you want. Or put a cloth (or other material) skirt around it.

As for the tech who works on it? Can't they use that sheet to just turn the unit rather than pull it out? Seems to me it'd be advantageous to have it up a little higher for less bending over.

You could certainly have something custom built. But, if you can't build it and can't find a volunteer to do you a favor, hiring a cabinet maker or carpenter to build it, and make sure it's heavy enough to support the weight, well, that could well cost you the same money as buying pedestals.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz