Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcoop_gw

Stuck- I really cannot find a good washer/ dryer to buy...

rcoop
9 years ago

I currently have a GE front loader and dryer that are 7 years old that are not fixable. I think it was the GE GFWN1100LWW (it looks the same). Here is a picture.
http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GFWN1100LWW

We had a similar model in our last house, so this is really the only Washer/ Dryer experience I have had other than my parents 25 year old Maytags.

I went to my local dealer and loved the looks and size of the HE top loaders, but see they do not get as much love as other machines. I am hoping that I can get honest opinions on these 3 machines or other suggestions as to what might work in my situation.

Laundry is my nemesis. I have so much dirty laundry that the HE top loaders with their higher capacities really appeal to me. I love the simplicity of a SQ, but am ready to sacrifice reliability for better capacity.

I love my Front loader and have had no problems with cleaning or stains which makes me think that I might not complain about the HE Top Loader as much as other people. I hate the bending down and ergonomics of the Front Loaders. I also would like a higher capacity, so my towels and sheets/ comforters don't take 2 or 3 loads a week. My current capacity is 3.5 cu feet on my front loader.

So having said that, my local store recommended these 3 models to me. All are basically the same price for me. I am willing to go to higher models if they are better or allow for more HE overrides.
Maytag Bravos XL MVWB880BW
Fisher & Paykel AquaSmart 22 lb WL4227P1
Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum WTW8500

SO here are my questions.
Is there a difference in wash wear between a front loader and HE top loader (I hang dry my kids clothes so dryer wear is not a concern)?

If I go the Whirlpool/ Maytag route which one is the better of the two (I know they are both owned by Whirlpool)?

Do any of these really tear/ put holes in clothes more than any other washer? I have not really had much of a problem with it in my current one.

I think I can handle all other HE top loader issues, but feel free to point out any other differences. Also, if you have a REALLY big FL that you would recommend, I would be interested in checking it out.

BTW water usage and electricity savings are not really a big concern for me. How laundry is handled is.

Samsung and LG are out because the repairmen around here are non-existent.

Comments (4)