Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
applianceguide

Review of top front-loaders by experienced salesman/servicer

applianceguide
13 years ago

I've just posted a review I spent a lot of time on. It is on the top units from LG, Whirlpool, Electrolux, and Miele... to see how they stack up. I write from experience. Hope it helps someone with their future purchase decisions.

Super-Capicity Front Loader Shootout!

Anthony

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Buyers Guide : Super-Capacity Front Loader Shootout!

Comments (11)

• apalmieri
    13 years ago

Thanks for that. It's a great read. I've said in a number of threads that I love my IQ Electrolux set. I would have gotten the Miele, but I needed to stack the pair because my condo has a tiny laundry closet. I was also concerned about noise and vibration since my condo is on the fourth floor. The Electrolux washer and dryer, plus Persil have made me very happy with my laundry chores.

• mark40511
    13 years ago

So when you did the review on the 4.5 cu foot Duet, there was no mention of the "max rinse" feature? This is something I have been dying to find out about.

• jeri
    13 years ago

That "review" is very biased  I hope everyone can see that.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

I believe the review, although probably biased, reflects the general opinions of folks here. Miele seems to be held in generally high esteem, followed by Electrolux and then the bargain store brands. They are 100% correct in saying that steam is a useless feature. If you want to de-wrinkle your laundry, give it a few spritz with water and toss into the dryer on low heat for 5-10 minutes. The results are better than steam.

I don't have any evidence to support, but I have a gut feeling that companies like LG and Whirlpool put very little money into actual research and much more money into marketing and creating useless new features to capture a consumer's attention.

• jeri
    13 years ago

But the "review" didnÂt list pros and cons on each machine  it listed only Negatives about everything except the Miele  where it listed only positives. I thought it funny that it listed as a "Con" the price of the Electrolux and never mentioned the price of the Miele W4842. What do those go for again?

Like I said  I sure hope everyone else can see that this "Review" can not be taken seriously. There are lots of things to consider when deciding which machine to purchase.

BTW  I happen to really appreciate the Steam in my dryer. Yea  if I planned better, was more organized, was home more, etc. perhaps I could catch every load right when it was done. Since I have these failings, the Steam in the dryer really helps me out, and IÂm betting IÂm not the only one.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

Not meaning to be overly critical here, but there are a lot of typos. Perhaps a copy editor should have a look at the material. :-)

Adding moisture to clothes via the dryer isn't a new concept, although steam per se may be. Many of the major brands had either a water dispenser or a sprinkler accessory far back as the 1960s to dampen a dry load in preparation for ironing. Sears sold their sprinkler ball as an accessory usable with any brand or model.

• mark40511
    13 years ago

I saw the typo's and wondered about the pro's and con's myself. Since this person reviewed these products there seemed to be a lot of missing information (not thorough). My Duet will soon be six years old and still going strong. If I could change anything about it, what would it be? Simple! A button that you could push to give me to option to add more water. I see Whirlpool/Frigidaire are adding these features. The Duet's have a MAX rinse (which is different than extra rinse). It actually adds more water....How much more? I don't know (wish I did).....The brand spanking new Frigidaires now have a Max Fill feature, which gives the customer to use that option (I think that is for all cycles(including wash/rinses), whereas the Duet just give a deeper rinse (not wash). I was hoping this would be mentioned. WE know the Meile's can be programmed for that, not sure about the Electrolux.

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

Adding moisture to clothes via the dryer isn't a new concept, although steam per se may be. Many of the major brands had either a water dispenser or a sprinkler accessory far back as the 1960s to dampen a dry load in preparation for ironing. Sears sold their sprinkler ball as an accessory usable with any brand or model.

From the time I was a pre-teen, I was the one who did all the family's ironing. We had a dryer, but I don't remember any such gadget as these. I sprinkled laundry the old-fashioned way; in my case, I used a clean, empty Coke bottle whose lid had little holes in it. I have no idea who put the holes in the lid, but that worked very well in preparing our laundry for ironing.

When I married, I greatly appreciated steam irons. I haven't had to sprinkle anything in eons, and I've very rarely needed to iron anything at all since dryers with sensors became available -- mainly items which I'm sewing or mending.

• dualref
    13 years ago

As for Miele's 90 day return policy. They will take them back, but not happily. You'll have to jump through a maze of hoops and complain very loudly before they'll even remotely consider taking your machine back.

And what's this? The LG and Duet are the same?

The person that wrote this review needs to redo it with the correct facts.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

I remember this item being offered in the catalog as a separate accessory.

• rosesark
    13 years ago

Yes, jeri, again i agree with you. I do the same with putting something wrinkled in the dryer and using it to get it smooth. I used to use a spray bottle too, but had to spray over the sink so floor wouldnt get wet, then take to the dryer. Now i just throw it in the dryer and let IT put the spray on it. Might as well use the feature.