Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Israeli Persil anyone? If not, where to buy Persil?

amysrq
14 years ago

I am ready to try Persil for the first time. A shopping search turns up small-ish bags of Persil from Israel through a kosher grocer in NY. Just wondering if I can expect this to be the same as the European Persil. I am hesitant to buy larger packages because I am afraid I won't like the smell. But, how do I know if this is the smell so many people love anyway?

Also....where do most of you buy your Persil?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Amy,
    I purchase my persil from a local Miele vacuum store. Have you considered just ordering from Miele? It is the same price where ever you go. They do come in small bags and also in the larger sizes. If you are worried about the scent, their the Persil sensitive which does not have a scent at all.

Good luck!

• neatfreaknot
    14 years ago

The easiest way is to simply order it from Miele (Mieleusa.com). They carry the Persil (white clothing); Persil Bunt (color); Perwoll (silk and wool), plus they now carry their own powder detergent as well as down cleaner.
    The smell of Persil, Persil bunt, and Perwoll is clean and not in your face. But if you do not care for any scent or are allergic, select "Persil Sensitive".
    Btw, these are detergents formulated for front loaders. Europe has harder water than the U.S. so use less than what's recommended on the box.
    Now Persil also makes a liquid detergent but you may want to stay away from it if you have a newer front loader some of which have mold problems.
    Good luck!

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

I buy from abt.com
    Free shipping.

• amysrq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. I am actually interested in having the smell. I have been happy with my Sears HE unscented powder and enjoy the occasional load done with Ariel. But, I love the way my clothes smell when I am visiting friends in France and hope to bring that home, as it were.

Buying from Miele is a $45 +/- gamble. The small Israeli bags are 7.99 each with free shipping IIRC. And even if I like the stuff in the small bags, there is a chance that when I buy the big box, it will not be the same. That's why I was curious.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

You can call the store and try and figure out where the Persil is manufactured. Also, check the Henkels websit to verify that it is the same one. The Persil sensitive is $19.99 and only comes in the bags. For some reason, the Miele website does not have the bags of the other products just the big stuff!

Abi Nkwa

• brotherb
    13 years ago

So, how is that Israeli (SOAD) Persil? How does it compare to German (Henkel) Persil? (BTW, Henkel owns 50% of SOAD.)

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

THE BEST PRICE FOR PERSIL MEGAPERLS can be found at www.betterproductsonline.com. Here are links to the lowest price per load for both Megaperls products:

Persil Megaperls Color @ $0.89/load
    Persil Universal Megaperls @ $0.89/load

I have not been able to find these products for less on a $/load basis. The 5-pouch bundles of the 18-load 1.215 kg product at Better Products Online yields the lowest cost per load and lowest cost per kg ($13.17) that I could find online. I just submitted an order, as my current stock is running low.

The above pricing is for the concentrated Megaperls products. They also contain the regular Persil Universal powder as well as liquid varieties and Perwoll. You may want to look those up to see if their prices are lower on those as well. Free shipping too!

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

THE BEST PRICE FOR PERSIL MEGAPERLS can be found at www.betterproductsonline.com. Here are links to the lowest price per load for both Megaperls products:

Persil Megaperls Color @ $0.89/load
    Persil Universal Megaperls @ $0.89/load

I have not been able to find these products for less on a $/load basis. The 5-pouch bundles of the 18-load 1.215 kg product at Better Products Online yields the lowest cost per load and lowest cost per kg ($13.17) that I could find online. I just submitted an order, as my current stock is running low.

The above pricing is for the concentrated Megaperls products. They also contain the regular Persil Universal powder as well as liquid varieties and Perwoll. You may want to look those up to see if their prices are lower on those as well. Free shipping too!

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

$0.89 a load???!!! Who would pay that much for soap? Miele must be very pleased with themselves for convincing you that it is worth that much.

I am going to do some research and see if I can figure out why some people always buy the most expensive thing they can find. I know for some it is a self-esteem issue but there may be other reasons. There are people on the Appliance forum that are paying $10,000 for a stove and they don't cook!! Good grief.

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

@oregpsnow: This thread obviously isn't for you. LOL! Why don't you run a few searches on here to find out why people like Persil before passing judgment? You'll see that it has nothing to do with price.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

@oregpsnow, if people can afford it and that's what they choose to buy ... what do you care??!!

No one asked you to go buy it - sshrivastava was simply posting information that may be helpful to those on this forum that DO like Persil and buy it.

There is a little more to laundry detergent than "soap". I agree with sshrivastava - do some reading before you make condescending comments.

Persil is excellent detergent. Unfortunately because no one distributes it in North America we are stuck paying higher prices as it must be imported.

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

livebetter - you sound a bit angry. If I don't like Persil why do you care??!!! You don't know what I know about Persil. I might be an expert in clothes detergent. Perhaps you could watch your condescending comments.

According to my friends in Europe Persil is nothing special - just another detergent. Americans like it because it is expensive and sold by Miele, who has a great marketing department.

You are certainly free to buy whatever you want. I am putting the money I don't spend on Persil into my retirement account.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I'm Canadian - how angry can I be (LOL) ??

Unless things are different in the US - Miele no longer imports Persil (at least here in Canada).

I have German family members who would beg to differ on that opinion of Persil being nothing special - but I'm not going to have that argument with you (clearly a waste of energy). It certainly doesn't cost as much in Germany (as I explained previously).

My âÂÂirritationâ was with your comments to sshrivastavaâÂÂs post. As she stated, clearly it wasnâÂÂt intended for you (LOL) - it was intended for people who actually like it and might be interested in better pricing.

You took it as an opportunity to condemn those who like to spend more on things (which quite frankly shouldnâÂÂt be your concern) - even commenting on what people spend on their stoves (who cares) and put down a product that many on this forum like.

For those of us who do like Persil (and believe it to be a great detergent - notice I didnâÂÂt say greatest detergent on the planet) - youâÂÂve inferred that weâÂÂre just idiots falling for marketing ploy. Who sounds angry (and condescending)??

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

oregpsnow said: You are certainly free to buy whatever you want. I am putting the money I don't spend on Persil into my retirement account.

LOL! Believe it or not, I was a big proponent of Tide HE over Persil a few years ago. I even said the exact same thing you did - that people are crazy for spending so much on a detergent when they should be saving that money and putting into their IRA or 401(k)s. How well are all of our retirement accounts doing today, those of us who have anything left in them?

I switched to Persil due to the fact that it cleans as well or better than Tide HE, the de facto leading domestic detergent, but doesn't cause skin irritation. My partner developed a sensitivity to Tide, and nothing else that I tried comes close to cleaning as well except for Persil. Bi-O-Kleen Premium does a good job, but it also lacks certain ingredients that prevent corrosion. I don't know if that's a big deal or not, so I'm proceeding cautiously in this regard. I don't want to use something that is not going to properly protect the metal parts of my washer, but then I don't even know if that's an issue at all.

I had a choice of using a more sensitive detergent that didn't clean as well but also did not cause irritation, or using Persil which gave me the best of all worlds but at a higher cost. I chose the latter because I want clean clothes without itching. Persil Universal Megaperls contains five different enzymes to assist with stain removal, which I believe is more than most domestic products.

Here is list comparing ingredients from Persil and Tide HE:
    Tide HE:

Sodium Aluminosilicate
    Sodium Sulfate
    Sodium Carbonate
    Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate
    Water
    Nonanoyloxybenzenesulfonate
    Alkyl Sulfate
    Sodium Percarbonate
    Sodium Polyacrylate
    Polyethylene Glycol 4000
    Fragrance
    Diethylenetriamine Pentaacetate (Sodium Salt)
    Disodium Diaminostilbene Disulfonate
    Palmitic Acid
    Protease
    Silicone
    Modified Starch

ÃÂ
    Persil Megaperls:

ZEOLITE
    SODIUM CARBONATE PEROXIDE
    SODIUM DODECYLBENZENESULFONATE
    TAED
    AQUA (WATER)
    SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE
    SODIUM CARBONATE
    SODIUM SULFATE
    SODIUM CITRATE
    2-PROPYLHEPTAN-1-OL, 7EO
    SODIUM ACRYLIC ACID/MA COPOLYMER
    SULFONATED POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE
    CELLULOSE GUM
    PEG-80
    ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH
    ALCOHOLS, C16-18, 7EO
    TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE
    SODIUM SOAP C16-18
    SODIUM BICARBONATE
    PERFUME
    CORN FLOUR
    HEPTASODIUM DTPMP
    PARAFFIN
    SODIUM CHLORIDE
    C12-18 FATTY ALCOHOL 5 EO
    SODIUM HYDROXIDE
    OPTICAL BRIGHTNER
    SODIUM GLYCOLATE
    PEG-14M
    COLORANT
    HYDRATED SILICA
    PROTEASE
    HEXYL CINNAMAL
    LINALOOL
    BENZYL SALICYLATE
    LIPASE
    AMYLASE
    MANNANASE
    CELLULASE

• livebetter
    13 years ago

It appears Persil has 5 enzymes to Tide's 1 (am I reading that right??).

I've read that various enzymes work on different stains (ie. protein, starch, grease) so would it not make sense that Persil would clean better?

"The enzymes used in laundry detergents act on materials that make up a variety of stains and soils so that these materials can be washed away more easily. These enzymes are named after the materials they can act upon, for example, proteases break down protein based stains, lipolases break down lipid (fat) based stains and amylases break down starches and other carbohydrate based stains (amyl is Greek for starch). Since one enzyme molecule can act on many substrate (i.e., soil) molecules, a small amount of enzyme added to a laundry detergent can provide a big cleaning benefit to the consumer.

Enzymes are proteins, therefore, they are completely biodegradable. They are non-toxic to plants and animals in the environment."

Here is a link that might be useful: What Are Enzymes