Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wheatandhoney

Selecting a washing machine - LG vs Huebsch(Speed Queen)

wheatandhoney
9 years ago

I am in need of a washing machine and dryer for our weekend/summer residence. The house is an old farmhouse with a 10-year old addition. We have a septic tank and are on well water that isn't too hard, plus there is a softener. We have propane and electricity. There is currently a small stackable washer/dryer in the master bedroom bathroom, but the main hookups in the basement have no units. We are thinking of putting in mainfloor laundry at some point, but it will be away from the living spaces. We are a family of 6, four kids under 8. I went to the nearest appliance store that carries Huebsch (Speed Queen in Canada) after seeing recomendations here for Speed Queen. The salesman talked to me about those units as well as LG, which is clearly their bread and butter for W/D sales. The models I am contemplating are Huebsch ZFN50F and ZDE4BF or LG WM4070 and DLEX4070. Salesman reports the expected life of the LGs to be about 10 years, the Huebsch 20 to 30. Typically the Huebsch pricing is 2.5 to 3 times the LG units, but when he looked up their current "sale" pricing they were $2149 for the LG pair and $2798 for the Huebsch pair. Main issue as I see it is the Huebsch washer has a 3.3 cu ft capacity, vs 5 for the LG. I need to know if it is better to sacrifice the capacity or the unit's lifespan. During the school year we are up here on most weekends, but this past year (our first in the home) I took almost all laundry home, back and forth, every weekend. Exhausting, but kids clothes don't sit well dirty for a week or more. Holidays and summer we are up here mostly full time. My main home has a front loader Bosch, about 5 years old. The salesguy guessed it likely has a 3.8 cu ft capacity. Will I be really dissatisfied with the reduced capacity of the Huebsch? Will I regret not having all the fancy cycles? The steam on the LGs does sound appealing but truthfully the only cycles I use on my Bosch are cold wash, delicate, and wool, plus hot sometimes for sheets/towels, and I don't mind doing handwashing. I honestly have never washed a comforter or duvet, I use wool and silk so don't even know if they are machine washable. Also, I didn't look at the front loaders as I assume I want as HE as possible to help the septic. Any advice on capacity vs longevity would be appreciated.
Thanks so much for any advice or experience you can share!

Comment (1)