Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring for laundry closet?

Posted by kendrahrose (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 10:04

I am searching for solutions for flooring for a second floor laundry closet that are impervious to water. I am also hoping to use products that do not off gas and/or are low VOC because of mulitple health issues in my family. Please give me some suggestions!

We recently moved into a house that has a second floor laundry area. It is a shallow closet that houses a side-by-side washer and dryer. Last week, a leaking hose caused water damage, in the form of mold, to the wood floor. We have a contractor working on other things in our house so now is the time to have him redo the floor in the laudry closet. He ripped out the bad flooring on Friday, was going to put down non-formaldehyde plywood, and put a ceramic tile floor on top of that. My dad cautioned me that the movement of the washer and dryer could easily crack ceramic tile, and I agree.

Vinyl tile and adhesives are a good choice, but seem to have pretty nasty chemicals in them. I looked into something called Marmoleum, but it is a water based adhesive and does not sound like it is recommended on top of plywood. So I'm confused about what to use as a substraight and/or covering.

In the meantime, I did find a really great washing machine pan to replace the crappy old one. But as for the flooring itself, I'm confused!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring for laundry closet?

You may want to look into Bamboo, Cork, Eucalyptus etc.

Check this link out...

Here is a link that might be useful: Duro-Design

o

I have a area in my office we did with cork.
I can't recall what sealer we used, but it was pretty heavy duty grade.

It's fine for foot traffic. Actually, IMO it WEARS well for foot traffic.

However, it does Indent on heavy items like file cabinets and such. Not DEEP but it does *indent*, FWIW.

o

I would personally go with porcelain tile which is rated for flooring use. It is extremely durable and will not crack, unlike ceramic tile. Also they can make it relatively thin so it will not be an installation issue.

o

I like the Marmoleum as you can have a single sheet with no seams, plus, roll the edge and have a cove baseboard with sealable corner seams. Also, this flooring can act somewhat as base isolation. There should be no issue with the flooring adhesive on wood substrate as it is an acrylic polymer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here