Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kendrahrose_gw

Flooring for laundry closet?

kendrahrose
10 years ago

I am searching for solutions for flooring for a second floor laundry closet that are impervious to water. I am also hoping to use products that do not off gas and/or are low VOC because of mulitple health issues in my family. Please give me some suggestions!

We recently moved into a house that has a second floor laundry area. It is a shallow closet that houses a side-by-side washer and dryer. Last week, a leaking hose caused water damage, in the form of mold, to the wood floor. We have a contractor working on other things in our house so now is the time to have him redo the floor in the laudry closet. He ripped out the bad flooring on Friday, was going to put down non-formaldehyde plywood, and put a ceramic tile floor on top of that. My dad cautioned me that the movement of the washer and dryer could easily crack ceramic tile, and I agree.

Vinyl tile and adhesives are a good choice, but seem to have pretty nasty chemicals in them. I looked into something called Marmoleum, but it is a water based adhesive and does not sound like it is recommended on top of plywood. So I'm confused about what to use as a substraight and/or covering.

In the meantime, I did find a really great washing machine pan to replace the crappy old one. But as for the flooring itself, I'm confused!

Comments (4)