Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sagelee

Garment Steamer

sagelee
9 years ago

I just bought the Home Touch PS-250 garment steamer to iron my husband's shirts - still in the box. I've read the reviews and they are bad. Any input for this particular one or recommendations for a new one are greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• azmom
    9 years ago

Don't have any experience with Home Touch PS-250.

I have a Jiffy J-4000 Pro Line Commercial Garment Steamer since 2007, It is powerful, easy to use with superb results. Saves a ton on dry clean bill. It is a great investment.

It took me a long while to shop for a steamer until I noticed stores like Talbots and Banana Republic..etc. used it when they hang out new merchandise on the floor. Sales girls from these stores highly recommended it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jiffy Steamer

• enduring
    9 years ago

Azmom, that looks very slick (I watched the video).

• azmom
    9 years ago

Hi Enduring,

Wow, it is great ! I did not even notice there is a video.

The steamer takes a while to heat, but once it is ready, it can steam two, three weeks' worth of outfits none stop.

When I lived in midwest especially in fall and winter, I used it all the time. It saved me lots of money and time in sending clothes out to the cleaners. I also use it to iron table clothes during holidays.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I have the Jiffy and also a hand held steamer. Honestly, I don't think it's easier to steam than just to iron. The reason I say that is because it just doesn't get the wrinkles out as well as an iron does. I still use it sometimes because I just hate to iron and like to do something different from time to time. I've seen them use the steamer at Talbot's and yet their clothes are still wrinkled just not as much. I have a lot of Talbot's clothes because their store is near my house and they have such nice ladies that work there. I've seen them trying to steam out wrinkles in the clothes. What an enormous job!

I had the Pro Steamer when I used to sew a lot of drapes for people. It was good for when I had already ironed them at home but then after transporting and installing them they would need a little touch up.

• Jennifer_Watts
    9 years ago

Hi sagelee,

Garment steamers are quite controversial. Alot of people claim that they just don't work up to the standards of an iron. I'd have to go against the grain and disagree though in my own opinion.

I've used a number of different garment steamers for travel and home use for the last 10 years. My personal favorite brand is Jiffy. Steamfast also produce quite good steamers aswell!.

I've never had any troubles with my steamers not removing wrinkles properly from clothing. I personally prefer steamers which have longer steam times as i tend to do alot of clothes steaming at once rather than in shorter loads.

My personal recommendations for a garment steamer is the J-2000 jiffy steamer. By far the best steamer i've ever owned mainly due to its steam time of 1.5 hours and that its reliable (touch wood). If i couldn't get this brand i'd opt for the Steamfast SF-510.

I hope i was clear enough - my writing skills isn't the best.

All the best,

Jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: A helpful resource for garment steamers (quick google search brought it up)

• azmom
    9 years ago

I am with Jennifer.

No doubt, my Jiffy steamer takes out winkles. I use it on wool sweaters, suits, cottons and silks, on big and small pieces. When I was in midwest, the job required me to look "professional" all the time, Jiffy steamer was a God send. I am in a business casual environment now, I use Jiffy steamer less often, but it is same robust and handy when I need it.

Iron is good for very detailed ironing. For general clothes ironing, we also have a well made garment press. It produces better results than using an iron. Since we have the Jiffy steamer, we rarely use our garment press. To me using a steamer is easier, more flexible than using an iron and a garment press.

The steamer I have is a commercial model, it is super durable, I love it.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator